Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 CTD had 18300 miles on it when I bought it last month. It now has about 1100 more. This morning, I noticed the fan running when I shut the engine off. I recalled from reading this forum, that this might mean a regeneration was in progress. So, I got right back in the car and got on road. I also recalled the tip about setting the instant mpg to metric and noting whether the decel mpg showed 0.0l/100km. During the various times I'd tried this in the past, decel always showed 0.0l/100km when coasting. This time, it would bottom out at about 1.4l/100km. After 15 or twenty minutes, it went back to showing 0.0. I concluded the regen had completed.

Thanks to you folks who shared the tip about the metric instant mpg. I think you just prevented an aborted regen.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand that, but had I aborted this regen, then made a few more short drives with incomplete regens, I might have gotten a DPF that went past the max threshold for a regen. That was what I was trying to avoid.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I understand that, but had I aborted this regen, then made a few more short drives with incomplete regens, I might have gotten a DPF that went past the max threshold for a regen. That was what I was trying to avoid.
You can abort regens as many times as you want without issue. The only risk is if you abort a regen when it's first getting started (pre-regen). It's a rare event, and only ever happened to me the first time at 115K miles of driving.

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/201-...sel-owners-read-can-save-you-trip-dealer.html

·
Registered
355 Posts
Don't worry about it. The car will handle it all on its own and it will let you know when intervention is necessary.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Just for the record, when you shut the car off and the fan is running heavy duty, I have had regens complete as I drive in my addition and then I drive a half mile to my garage and the fan continues to run after I shut the car off, my theory is the regen in this case is complete, I have a 2 on my scangauge, but the DPF is VERY HOT and the fan is cooling everything down.

Reactions: Tomko

·
2,168 Posts
You may want to invest in a scangauge II, it will tell you for sure if you're vehicle is going through a regeneration cycle. It also monitors a ton of other useful information including how much soot has built up in your DPF, exhaust gas temperatures, boost, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AAMY86/ref=s9_acsd_al_bw_c_x_1

This thread that diesel linked above explains why it may be a good idea to purchase one if you haven't read it.
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/201-...sel-owners-read-can-save-you-trip-dealer.html

Reactions: diesel

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I decided against the SC because the presentation is much too antiquated and not particularly intuitive, although I have no doubt it's an useful tool. However, if Linear Logic comes up with a more modern interface, I'm all over it.
I'm still debating whether to try the Edge CTS2 again, as it's possible (and likely) that the one I received was faulty.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Scangauge is pretty basic, honestly if Chevy showed me when the regen was going to occur and all I wouldn't own the silly thing, I ONLY own it because of a design flaw of the manufacture. The flaw is a very short time during pre regen if I turn the car off it can cause a need for a manual regen. I wouldn't own the scan gauge if it were not for that. The scan gauge isn't sexy or anything like that, just a tool to keep me away from the dealer when possible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts