Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

When i bought this car, after selling my 2012 RS, i was very excited to stay in a Cruze, but with a bigger engine. Little that i know that a Diesel was not made for a person like me. :wtf:

Some of you may remember that my 2012 Cruze was quite modified, going trough 3 sets of suspension and brakes setup, custom tuning and alot of stuff, since i was Racing with the car once a week at a local track. 5 sets of tires, 5000$ and 3 years later i sold it, but i learned a lot about the Cruze and modifications, what works and what doesnt.

So when i bought the Diesel, i said to myself : "I will be very conservative with this car, no racing/lapping, just a tune and some minor changes"

lol, boy was i wrong!

After about 800km driving with the car, i tuned it with Fleece. In the 1st week of using the car tuned, trying 30, 40 and 50hp tunes, i got multiple Check engine lights because of too much Soot acumulation, even got in limp mode once and had to pull of the side of the highway. :banghead:

Right then and there i regreted buying the car. This was my 1st Diesel and what i knew from it was the basics and videos on Youtube. Like black smore, loads of torque and good highway economy. I didnt know that the diesel cars/trucks now are just a shadow of what they were because of emission control.

If i knew that i would have to do a Delete to use my car the way i want to use it, i would have never bought a Diesel.
:eek:mg:

Even if i dont do Lapping on a Racetrack anymore, im still a lead footed individual, so a completly stock Cruze diesel wouldnt be enough for me. This car was bought with the intention to be more powerfull then my old one, to use that 2.0l engine, but a 2.0l turbo diesel and 2.0l gas turbo are two very different animal. Like a Verano Turbo with a Tune will never get Soot acumulation check engine lights, lol.

I should have kept my RS until the Camaro came out and bought a 2.0l turbo with an 8speed.

Well, now that i have said all this, im not selling my Diesel, infact i bought a 2nd one for my dad. (Some may remember another thread about this)

The only reason why i still have my Diesel and bought a 2nd one is for financial reasons, since i still have 5 years to pay for my car. So i bought a second one for my dad for 5 years too, because they are very good cars!

Im very satisfied now with my Diesel and my dad love his,
its just sad that i had to do so many thing and spend so much money to bring the car to what i want and i will never do that again. Now its a powerfull car, great highway cruiser with great fuel economy.

In life you have to live with your errors and learn from them.

In conclusion, in 5 years i'll see what i'll do, but with cars like the Bolt that can do now 383km with one charge, that have instant Torque and can do 0 to 60 in 6.5s, i dont see the point of buying a gas or diesel car anymore.

Reactions: sparkman and obermd

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
Yada , yada , yada ..piece of cake but I like pie .

If ya want a performance machine ya buy a performance machine not a sedan for economy !

·
Registered
791 Posts
Hi guys!

When i bought this car, after selling my 2012 RS, i was very excited to stay in a Cruze, but with a bigger engine. Little that i know that a Diesel was not made for a person like me. :wtf:

Some of you may remember that my 2012 Cruze was quite modified, going trough 3 sets of suspension and brakes setup, custom tuning and alot of stuff, since i was Racing with the car once a week at a local track. 5 sets of tires, 5000$ and 3 years later i sold it, but i learned a lot about the Cruze and modifications, what works and what doesnt.

So when i bought the Diesel, i said to myself : "I will be very conservative with this car, no racing/lapping, just a tune and some minor changes"

lol, boy was i wrong!

After about 800km driving with the car, i tuned it with Fleece. In the 1st week of using the car tuned, trying 30, 40 and 50hp tunes, i got multiple Check engine lights because of too much Soot acumulation, even got in limp mode once and had to pull of the side of the highway. :banghead:

Right then and there i regreted buying the car. This was my 1st Diesel and what i knew from it was the basics and videos on Youtube. Like black smore, loads of torque and good highway economy. I didnt know that the diesel cars/trucks now are just a shadow of what they were because of emission control.

If i knew that i would have to do a Delete to use my car the way i want to use it, i would have never bought a Diesel.
:eek:mg:

Even if i dont do Lapping on a Racetrack anymore, im still a lead footed individual, so a completly stock Cruze diesel wouldnt be enough for me. This car was bought with the intention to be more powerfull then my old one, to use that 2.0l engine, but a 2.0l turbo diesel and 2.0l gas turbo are two very different animal. Like a Verano Turbo with a Tune will never get Soot acumulation check engine lights, lol.

I should have kept my RS until the Camaro came out and bought a 2.0l turbo with an 8speed.

Well, now that i have said all this, im not selling my Diesel, infact i bought a 2nd one for my dad. (Some may remember another thread about this)

The only reason why i still have my Diesel and bought a 2nd one is for financial reasons, since i still have 5 years to pay for my car. So i bought a second one for my dad for 5 years too, because they are very good cars!

Im very satisfied now with my Diesel and my dad love his,
its just sad that i had to do so many thing and spend so much money to bring the car to what i want and i will never do that again. Now its a powerfull car, great highway cruiser with great fuel economy.

In life you have to live with your errors and learn from them.

In conclusion, in 5 years i'll see what i'll do, but with cars like the Bolt that can do now 383km with one charge, that have instant Torque and can do 0 to 60 in 6.5s, i dont see the point of buying a gas or diesel car anymore.
refresh my memory, I think you did a full delete , correct?

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I'm with you man. I wanted a truck but I also wanted a house so I bought a car that was good on fuel so that I would be able to afford it when I got my house. Now that I have the house I can't stop thinking about trucks. However I feel like I'm going to be stuck with my ctd for at least another 2 years

With that said, my cruze has been fantastic and for a car it's pretty good.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yada , yada , yada ..piece of cake but I like pie .

If ya want a performance machine ya buy a performance machine not a sedan for economy !
Its all about money bro...

But i under estimated my budjet, i could have bought something bigger.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts

This is pretty much the advice I give everyone nowadays. Wait out the storm and save/invest now. Buy a nice electric when the time comes. It's a pretty unwise decision to buy a new IC powered vehicles nowadays if your intent is to keep it for more than a few years.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I really feel like they need to design a mainstream half ton truck that uses hydrogen. Batteries just don't work yet for towing and truck things

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really feel like they need to design a mainstream half ton truck that uses hydrogen. Batteries just don't work yet for towing and truck things
I drive Trucks for a living and at my work they are making an hybrid Diesel-Electric truck. Looking foward to see how it does.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,484 Posts
We have hybrid buses in my area. I can say that they get off the line and keep up with traffic a lot better than the regular ISX powered ones. Most also run CNG rather than diesel.

I personally don't want to be the test bunny for some of the new DI gas engines that will probably use particulate filters in a few years. By then, mfrs might have it figured out on diesels though.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
We have hybrid buses in my area. I can say that they get off the line and keep up with traffic a lot better than the regular ISX powered ones. Most also run CNG rather than diesel.

I personally don't want to be the test bunny for some of the new DI gas engines that will probably use particulate filters in a few years. By then, mfrs might have it figured out on diesels though.
Hybrids are just an transition phase really, the future is full electric.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts