Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a friend of mine bought a row home in the fancy part of Baltimore (not the Riot'y part) and we have been busting our butts. Here is 1 of our newest projects the stairs, its not done yet but this coming week end it will be finished hopefullly. For the treads we kept all the original wood we took out of the walls circa 1880 and cut them down and refinished the studs. We are in the process of gluing them together than planing them down for the treads.
He initially got a quote for $25,000 for a company to build them......f that we got this. He is an architect in Bmore and we designed them in his 3d program to scale. Printed the cut offs on the his printer plotter at work. We got started Sat morning.....

Anyway here is the raw steel (about 600lbs)
raw metal.jpg

the stairs framework
stairs 80.jpg

This all we could get done, probably could have got the angle iron for the treads done if we hadn't spent all sunday morning nursing nasty hangovers ...

Let me know what you guys think I will post pics as it wraps up probably this weekend..

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Temporary treads are in place and all metal work is done till the railings go in. Until we are source more reclaimed wood that has the same grain and and color.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I hope you got a good price on that house circa 1880? Did your ancesters attend the tea party? Opps that was in Boston, my bad. lol

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its a yuppie area with big money, avg income for canton 80k there are apartments in the area that go for 850 lol, avg home sale price is 625 from feb-may of 2015

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

a is most simple, but will have to have the nuts hanging out the front side for the wires using 1.5" flats and with an other piece of flat welded to it and grinded out to form a L that gets welded to the stairs

b is a double 1.5 with (2) 1.5" turned and welded to the c channel. this will conceal the nuts on the inside allowing for the clean flat on the edges, I'm leaning towards this one

c is using no flat stock and using a T iron. this will allow the nuts to be on the T side so kind of concealed, and welding that leftover 1.5"x3" to connect it to the c channel. I think that connection looks a little weird.

I think B uses the least amount of grinding and polishing, whereas a and c will need quite a bit of grinding and polishing, the most for a thought to get the clean L.

thoughts....?

A.

b.

c.

·
Premium Member
2,318 Posts
Where does he/she/jenner (got to be fair to all genders...no offense jj its just a dis on jenner not you or your cousin) live in Baltimore?
Haha!

I'm not sure where in Baltimore she lives, but apparently she has two row homes. Her and her boyfriend just finished renovating one where they plan to reside, and now she's purchased a second they are going to renovate and sell.

I also have another cousin in Baltimore, but no idea where she lives either :( not having Facebook keeps me very out of the loop.

PS: none of your photos in your last post are showing up... At least not mobile. :(

Sent with iLove 6.0

·
Epic Beard Man
5,414 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts