Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TL : DR I am on day 19 on my 10 day final repair attempt (Florida Lemon Law).

A few years ago I rented a Cruze Eco to go on a 4000 mile road trip with. I fell in love with it. It got great fuel economy, handled great and was comfortable. Even better I paid just over $100 for 12 days. What a bargain.

Fast forward a year and a half to me getting into a minor t bone accident and banging my head on the driver's side window of my car. I thought “Hrmm, that's why they make side impact airbags.”

In need of a replacement vehicle and realizing that my financial future was about to become a little more secure than it had been in the past, I decided that I would buy my first new car.

I realize that it doesn't make a lot of financial sense to buy new, but I was willing to eat the extra costs as I would likely keep the vehicle for 200,000+ miles (9 years).

I had fond memories of the rental Cruze (I had rented two more since then), but wanted to make sure that I wasn't overlooking something better. I test drove a lot of cars, and still came back to the Cruze.

Perusing CruzeTalk.com gave me some concern. I noted that a lot of people were having similar issues. Water pumps were failing, CV axles were snapping, and brakes were squealing. I figured, with so many cars sold a few are bound to have trouble and I would have a warranty.

In October 2013 I stepped into Autonation Airport Chevrolet in Orlando and negotiated an okay deal with okay financing (my credit was not that great) and walked out with a 2013 Cyber Metallic Cruze Eco. They had me test drive a similar vehicle while mine was being prepped. At the last minute, I was told that the car had almost 500 miles on it as it had been driven from Miami. I agreed, as the only remaining color choices were those that I had no interest in.

During my first day of ownership I noticed several things. First, the windows looked like they had been tinted with bubble wrap, their was a buzzing sound coming from the driver's seatbelt retractor, next the vehicle would bump or surge at some stops. Additionally their was a small dent in the hood and the rear bumper cover had come into contact with the sheet metal and caused some paint chipping.

I don't recall the exact timing of things but I had the car retinted (came out worse than the first tinting) and the paint repaired. After being verbally insulted by the tinting contractor, the dealer offered to reimburse me for getting a tint job off property. They sent the car out for the touchup paint and returned it to me saying they could not replicate the other issues. They put less than 10 miles on the car.

Soon I realized that the MyLink system was not functioning as it should. It would freeze, loose it's settings and take tens of minutes to connect to my phone. Often my drive was over before Pandora would play. Additionally, my life had become very hectic. I was learning the ropes at a newly acquired business and doing my best helping a terminally ill family member. I didn't have much free time.

I brought the car in several more times as the bumping continued to get worse and the radio was driving me close to insanity. My inside rear driver's side door handle stopped working. They repaired the door handle and updated the radio, but were not able to resolve the issue. I was told that I should drive to the dealership, during normal business service hours while the radio is acting up, and that as far as the bumping goes “sometimes you have to wait until something fails before we can figure out what it is.” I managed to bring the car in while the radio was locked up, only to have them reset it and send me on my way with a promise of “we'll contact GM”. Nothing ever came of that.

Additionally the rear door panel now vibrated. They blamed this on an after-market trailer hitch. I did not have time to fight this.

At 16,xxx I was about 100 miles out of town (at the time, I was spending a few days a week in this area) when I noticed that the bumping was happening at every stop and it was getting pretty strong. With a few free hours I thought “Hey, maybe the dealership here has better Techs, or maybe having another set of eyes on the car will get somewhere.” I took my car to Dyer Chevrolet in Vero Beach Florida on an early Friday afternoon. I explained my story and expressed my concern over the worsening bumping at stops. They told me to return, next Thursday.

The first time my Cruze left me on the side of the road was that Saturday. I called roadside assistance and they towed my car to the neared Chevrolet Dealership (Dyer in Vero Beach). I called Dyer to arrange for a loaner car and was told that I would have to wait until Monday as all of the rental agencies were closed. I politely pushed the fact that I had tried to bring the car in during business hours but was turned away. There was nothing that could be done.

Having to be at work 100 miles away Monday morning, I showed up to Dyer as they opened.

I learned that on Saturday I was speaking to the newly promoted GM and that he had instructed the service department to turn me away. I was told to take my car and leave. After a little bit of back and forth, I realized that this was actually happening.

I called GM, who arranged to have my car towed to another dealership and set up a rental for me. This came with another host of problems. My car was picked up on Tuesday and disappeared until Thursday, when it showed up at Wallace Chevrolet in Stuart (154 miles from home). Additionally GM roadside assistance only covers one day of car rental....I told Enterprise to bill me for the time being, I'd get it resolved later.

Wallace get right on my car. Twenty minutes after initially hearing from them (they needed to know why the car was in their lot) they called me back letting me know what was wrong with my car and that it was also subject to the axle recall (Autonation had told me that it was not). They told me that the transmission repair would take a couple of days, but due to parts backorders the axle recall would take much longer. They gave me the option of keeping the rental car until mine was ready to go. I chose to stay in the rental. They took care of the billing issue.

I never heard back from GM concerning being turned away at Dyer.

I heard back from them once a week until they got the part for the recall in. I drove down the next day to pick up my car. I was happy. I'd get my tinted windows back, I wouldn't have the Enterprise stink, and my car should be fixed. Little did I know that I would be driving the same rental car home.

Four miles from the dealer, my car came to a grinding halt. I had never experienced anything like this before. My CEL, StabilTrak, and ABS lights came on. The info center first said 'Service StabilTrak', then quickly changed to 'Reduced Engine Power'. I was able to get the car off of the road and call Wallace. They were at a loss as to what should be done.

As it was approaching 6 PM (Enterprises closing time) and I was REALLY far from home, I had a choice. Call Enterprise for a pick up and abandon the car, or try to drive it back to the dealership. I chose to call Enterprise. However, when I went to move the car into a parking lot, I noticed that it no longer had the reduced engine power...I hightailed it to Wallace. On the way, my radio locked up again. I left the car running and showed the service advisor, who in turn showed the techs.

I drove home in the same rental as I drove to the dealership in.

They called me the next day to let me know that they had fixed the radio (alternate firmware), and the other issue was simply a loose electrical connection.

I was finally driving my car home. I hopped on the freeway and was amazed at how well the car shifted. They had replaced all but one of the clutch packs. Finally, my car was mostly how it should have been the day I got it......Then I stopped at a traffic light near my house. Ever so gentle...bump.
I wrote it off as a fluke. There was no way. Then a few days later, slightly more pronounced...bump.

At this point I start the Florida Lemon Law procedure. GM participates in the BBB lemon law program. This mandates that I go through the BBB to file. I do so.

GM calls me about 10 days later to collect information. They tell me that they are waiting for response from a dealer (Autonation) and that they will get back in touch with me.

Later that week, my car leaves me on the side of the road for the third time. I'm driving through a torrential rainstorm only to have the car go into “Reduced Engine Power” mode again. This time it is towed to Carl Black Chevrolet in Orlando. I pay out of pocket to get to the airport for a car rental. They quickly resolve this issue (unseated turbo harness) and tell me they aren't able to replicate my other issues (seatbelt noise, door panel noise). They return my car to me covered in bird droppings.

Weeks later I send in a 10 day repair notice. I coordinate with GM for me to take the car to a dealership where their field service engineer can look at it. His schedule and mine don't mix. I spend a number of days in Vero, and the rest in Orlando. We finally settle on a date (that they changed for a sooner date) for me to drop my car off at Dyer (yes, Dyer) in Vero Beach. I make it clear to everyone, that I don't know where I'll be day to day.

On day 9 I make contact with the dealership. I am told that they resolved the door panel issue (some clips were missing) and that they were waiting to hear back from the FSE.

GM calls me on day 14 to ask if I am satisfied with the repair. I let them know I still do not have my car and wish to continue my claim. She lets me know that she is waiting for information from the dealerships (I think I've heard this one before).

Minutes later Dyer calls me to let me know that my car should be ready 'soon', and that the he had no idea what was done with it.

I spent the next three days calling the dealership eight times trying to find out about my car. I am forwarded to voice mails, or once put on hold for 17 minutes before having the receiver picked up and put back down. None of the voicemails were returned. I have given up on trying to call them.

Driving into the dealership to inquire about the car is not an option as I would have to take a day off of work and spend $30 in fuel to make the trip.

So here I sit on day 19 of my 10 day final repair attempt.

Honestly, I'm okay if they keep the car forever. I have a nice rental that even if it does break down, a replacement is just a phone call away 24/7.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Man oh man...sounds that's one Cruze that should have never been built.

GM needs to buy that back from you and "give" you another Cruze.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
I wonder if that cruze had been flooded by one of the storms. A lot of this is flat out damage and not properly repaired and I very seriously doubt this car left Lordstown with all that damage. Also, once you have either your car back from the dealership or a buy back complete, go to Florida Attorney General - Consumer Protection and file a complaint against every single GM dealership you dealt with, including the one you purchased the car from. The selling dealership didn't do a thorough prep and that's what the $850 delivery charge is designed to pay.

Edit: if you don't get a call back from where your car is now immediately, and I mean immediately file with the Florida AG's office letting them know they aren't calling you back with any sort of update.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
and to add to the fun, I just called the BBB and the person handling my case is out until next week.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
and to add to the fun, I just called the BBB and the person handling my case is out until next week.
We're truly sorry to hear about your experience, addakorn. If there's anything we can do to further assist just PM us your VIN and contact information.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Amber, I think he needs a lot of assistance as his dealerships are apparently staffed by trained monkeys.

·
Premium Member
4,148 Posts
Amber, I think he needs a lot of assistance as his dealerships are apparently staffed by trained monkeys.
Shouldn't that be "untrained" monkeys? If that happened to me I would not want anything to do with whatever type of car I had at the time.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Oh my god.....I'm sorry man, that sounds horrible. I give you credit for everything you've put up with. If this happened to me, I would not be handling this as calmly as you seem to be. I hope you get everything resolved and reimbursed for all of your time.

GM should buy back your car and give you a new one.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
O geez! Thanks, obermd! I'm waiting for him to reach out to us. Hopefully Patsy or I can help with communicating with his dealership.:grin:

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Shouldn't that be "untrained" monkeys? If that happened to me I would not want anything to do with whatever type of car I had at the time.
I was giving them the benefit of the doubt. My experience with Auto Nation dealerships is that if it throws a code they can do the simple R&R of a part but they have absolutely no diagnostic skills.

·
Registered
660 Posts
One reason I'm glad I bought my car new from my uncle, who's been a salesman for longer than I've been alive lol. I get taken care of :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was giving them the benefit of the doubt. My experience with Auto Nation dealerships is that if it throws a code they can do the simple R&R of a part but they have absolutely no diagnostic skills.
That sounds like most every dealership nowadays. If they have diagnostic skills, they leave and open their own shop.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
"In October 2013 I stepped into Autonation Airport Chevrolet in Orlando and negotiated an okay deal with okay financing (my credit was not that great) and walked out with a 2013 Cyber Metallic Cruze Eco. They had me test drive a similar vehicle while mine was being prepped. At the last minute, I was told that the car had almost 500 miles on it as it had been driven from Miami. I agreed, as the only remaining color choices were those that I had no interest in".

I don't understand what happened here. you decided on a car and it was being prepped and all of the sudden it has 500 miles and they wanted to sell you another car?

This sounds suspicious to me and like some shenanigans went on.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
"In October 2013 I stepped into Autonation Airport Chevrolet in Orlando and negotiated an okay deal with okay financing (my credit was not that great) and walked out with a 2013 Cyber Metallic Cruze Eco. They had me test drive a similar vehicle while mine was being prepped. At the last minute, I was told that the car had almost 500 miles on it as it had been driven from Miami. I agreed, as the only remaining color choices were those that I had no interest in".

I don't understand what happened here. you decided on a car and it was being prepped and all of the sudden it has 500 miles and they wanted to sell you another car?

This sounds suspicious to me and like some shenanigans went on.
And it appears to have gone downhill from there. I've walked out of dealerships that have tried this on me.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm sorry to hear your story, and I can say that I truly understand what you are going through.

I have a very similar horror story with my '12 1LT RS. At the end of it's warranty, some 2 years after taking it off the lot new, I ended up trading it in the day before it was to go back in for 4 warranty issues, including water leaking through the dashboard when it rained. I also had the dreaded service stabilitrak and anti theft system that would randomly send the car into low engine power mode or prevent it from starting all together.

Arranged with the dealer to get above max trade-in value, and new Cruze at cost. Bought a '14 LTZ RS hoping that it would be better, and my old one made on Friday afternoon before a long weekend.

1400km on the new one, and it has a service appointment for it's first warranty issue scheduled on the 19th of Nov. If this one is even half as bad as my last, I will never buy a GM product again. First issue to come up is water has filled the trunk release button, when I went to the parts counter, I found parts on order for the warranty issue of my last car still on hold for me, and my old car on the lot for sale. Some poor person is getting that lemon and the stealership didn't even fix it.

Wait till it rains and they have 1L of water in the mat. I left the all weather mats from GM in it to prevent them from getting a ruined carpet. Another $100 lost.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts