Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Cruzers!

I have not yet made a formal introduction to you all and I decided it was about time!

My name is Ian, and I live in middle TN. I graduated with a BS in Electro-Mechanical Engineering from MTSU. Since I was born, I've loved anything that had a motor, was electrical, or tool related. Most embarrassingly I had a childhood fascination with vacuums. I've been known to disassemble and reassemble things just to find out how they work. As I grew older, I discovered my passions were always more focused on things with engines. My family owned a few snowmobiles that we would take to Canada in the winter. Yes, the crazy hillbilly Tennesseeans would venture 1200 miles out just to get to the snow that most people try to avoid. But I have to tell you, snowmobiling is the more fun than humans should legally be aloud to have. We sold them to get sea-doos, which we sold to get a pop-up camper then we traded that for a bigger travel trailer, which got traded for a boat.

Needless to say, my family was middle-class spoiled and I had an excellent childhood. I got my learners permit and my first car when I was 15. It was a black 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix SE with a comfy, big back seat and a thirsty 3.1L V6. My parents did buy the car since I kept my grades high, but I had to buy everything else, gas (which was $4.50/gal), insurance, maintenance, etc. So I did have a job and I did work hard. I traded the Grand Prix when I graduated high school and bought myself a Cobalt, which I traded for the Cruze when I graduated college. So my vehicle history isn't that long. When I first got into college, I decided to get a motorcycle, a Ninja 250. I traded that for a Ninja 300 which I still own and I love. I'd have to say about twenty minutes past four o'clock is my favorite time of day and other than that, I'm a pretty laid back person who likes to build gaming PCs with my friends. I look forward to earning badges here, and sharing all my thoughts, ideas, and adventures with y'all.

Have a great day and thanks for reading!

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
A belated welcome to CruzeTalk.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,887 Posts
Welcome! I'm an Mechanical Engineer myself, so good to see another engineer around.

My younger brother (who will likely be going into Engineering when he goes to college later this year, as well) actually has a similar first car to yours - just with more "old people" - a green '01 Buick Century "Custom" with the same 3100. You could run over a landmine in that thing and not feel a thing. Engine is smooth, has ass-loads of torque and actually sounds pretty good too. Front and rear benches, to boot.

As you saw in the other thread, I too have a Cobalt (as you did), but it's pretty far from stock. Love that car, even though it seems to like to give me "tasks" as of late.

My wife is the one who has the Cruze, but we're married, so it's also mine.

Enjoy the forum!

Reactions: chevrasaki

·
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A belated welcome to CruzeTalk.
Haha indeed, I was just tired of being that guy at the party who no one actually knows but still tries to chime in on the conversation and everyone ends up looking at him crazy?

Reactions: obermd

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
You've got that backwards - what's yours is hers, what's hers is hers. :)

·
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome! I'm an Mechanical Engineer myself, so good to see another engineer around.

My younger brother (who will likely be going into Engineering when he goes to college later this year, as well) actually has a similar first car to yours - just with more "old people" - a green '01 Buick Century "Custom" with the same 3100. You could run over a landmine in that thing and not feel a thing. Engine is smooth, has ass-loads of torque and actually sounds pretty good too. Front and rear benches, to boot.

As you saw in the other thread, I too have a Cobalt (as you did), but it's pretty far from stock. Love that car, even though it seems to like to give me "tasks" as of late.

Enjoy the forum!
Yeah, my dad was a stationary engineer for Saturn before GM threw them out and took over, now he's just a person whose talents are being seriously under utilized for GM. He's been my biggest influence, though don't tell him, it'll go to his head. I love problem solving so engineering seemed like the correct path. Although math and I aren't as friendly when we're together. You're not joking about that 3100 W-Body gen II, very smooth and very comfortable. It was hard to move from that into the bankruptcy GM Cobalt. I did fall in love with it too though. It's always hard making changes, at first all you see is the bad, or the things that are missing then you start to notice the good.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm a chemical engineer. Can never have too many engineers around! Welcome to the board.

·
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm starting to think that that vast majority of Cruze owners are engineers. But I agree, can't be too many problem solvers in this world with so many problems.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,887 Posts
Oh yeah, forgot to mention - my wife is also a Mechanical engineer, haha. We met at school.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Great intro!!! Now I see where you get (Kaw)asaki in your user name.

·
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm a highway cargo engineer(truck driver) lol.
That's one of the most important jobs. Every single thing I touch was on a truck at some point.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts