Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want accuracy. Since there seems to be no accurate way to fill the tank to the same level each time, I'm going by "gallons used" on the DIC. I've tried using the same pump, at the same station, after driving the same miles, set on the slowest setting, and it clicks off different. A quick calculation tonight showed if I'm off by 1/2 gallon, which doesn't seem difficult, I will be off by 1.5 MPG. Since I know the DIC isn't perfect, I'm just using my numbers as a benchmark. I'll know if my mileage is getting better or worse. For what it's worth, tonight the DIC showed 34.2 MPG, actual was 33.8, using the gallons used method, which did bring the needle on the gauge just above the Full mark, so I think I'm pretty close. Opinions?

I've been obsessing over this since I got my record low mileage on what should have been a record high. I realized it was because I filled up in Iowa, where they don't have ethanol, and I crammed in as much as I could get in.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
Over time it will average out. I would trust the fuel filled reported by the pumps over the fuel consumed reported by the DIC. Most people find the DIC tends to underestimate by 2 - 10% depending on how you drive. Also, which ECO trim and transmission do you have? The ECO MT has a bushing that forces the main tank vent closed when there is 12.6 gallons in the tank. All Lordstown built Cruzen have the 15.6 gallon tank. This means the ECO MT will have the most variability during fillups.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
You have easy access to the full 15.6 gallon tank. Still, the best way to measure fuel consumption is to average over multiple fill ups. Fuelly gives both the total MPG and also a last 10 fill up MPG. I track for myself the last 5,000 miles as well.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Get a ScanGauge II. Mine's accurate to within 0.1 gallons on most fillups and within 0.3 gallons 90% of the time, even when the DIC is off by half a gallon or more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts