Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys

Today on my way home from work my Chevrolet cruze radio didn't work at all and even it won't turn off it was totally frozen!, I push all bottoms and nothing works at all....has this happen to anybody here? my car is only 7.000 miles... finally when I get home I disconnect the negative cable on the battery and when I put it back the radio start working again... this is the second time something happen to the radio on this car, the other time it when totally black and not working at all too... why is this happening? I need to take the car to the dealer?

Thanks!

Vic

·
Administrator
25,036 Posts
While they're replacing the radio have them replace the Negative Battery Cable if your car is flagged for this service. Might as well eliminate a known possible problem.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My 2013 has had the MyLink freeze completely 3 times so far.. I couldn't figure out how to reboot other than letting the car sit for a few until it powers off completely. Whenever I plug my iPod touch and have my phone connected with Bluetooth it gets wonky (especially if it is pulling the songs off my iPod). I've also had the backup camera get stuck on one time as well..

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Take it from an old radio man, your Cruze is not a radio, its a computer, all digital, frequency synthesize tuning, phase locked loop all control by a microprocessor with code store in flashram. Perfect symptoms of a computer crash, can't turned it off, if you did have a mouse on it, the cursor would be frozen.

A glitch occurred, where the microprocessor tripped over its own feet, program counter got confused and could no longer read the code in a logical order. So it crashed, suggestions on a poor negative battery cable are valid, When you tightened the battery bolt was there a gap in between those two halves?

Also this radio, er computer is always hot, so the only way to reboot it is like did, you have to remove the negative battery voltage, also has a scratch pad memory, resettable RAM that would be cleared when rebooted.

If the terminal is good, possibility of a poor soldering connection, GM only means or repairing it is replacing it with a new one.

Yep see your dealer.

·
Premium Member
7,715 Posts
I think mine has rebooted about 3-4 times now. It doesn't hang or anything - just reboots. I know the game with intermittent problems, so I'm just logging it for now.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
I can walk out to my Cruze right now with my keys on top of the refrigerator and turn that radio on. Will play for about ten minutes unless I open the driver's door. Just some proof it is always hot.

Another stupid term somebody came out with, always hot, sure isn't hot when its 30 below outside. Enabled is a better word to use, always enabled.

Ha, in my young days brainwashed with this new computer logic stuff, told a nice looking girl she enabled me, LOL wasn't a good idea. Another thing not to say is that she is hot, finally learned to say, you have nice eyes, then got someplace. Another good thing not to discuss is your work by referring to terminals as either male or female, then showing her what this means. Yeah by sticking a male terminal into a female one.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Co-worker recently bought a used 2013 LT1 cruze and the MyLink radio started going out on him randomly while driving. He took it back to the dealer and they replaced the negative battery cable first but he still had the issue so he took it back a week later and they replaced the MyLink radio. He hasn't had issues since.

FYI his MyLink screen would just turn black and would not turn back on. To my knowledge the screen wasn't freezing like yours so the issue might not be the same

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello Guys,

Thanks for all your comments, I made an appointment with the dealer for tomorrow, I'm sure they are going to say there is no problem, that the Radio is fine...those guys always get the easy way to do not help you... let's see if I'm lucky this time.... I'll post an update about what happened tomorrow

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Mine has done this 3-4 times (2013 cruze with mylink). You have to shut the car down and open the door for it to reboot. Plus getting a phone call sometimes will freeze pandora... super annoying

·
Premium Member
7,715 Posts
I'm sure they are going to say there is no problem, that the Radio is fine...those guys always get the easy way to do not help you...
The real issue is not having what it takes to satisfy GM to pay for replacing something. Ask them: What would it take to convince GM there's a problem? I'm sure the dealer would be happy to do the work, but they have to play by GM's rules if they want to get paid.

You need to shift the thinking from you versus dealer to you & dealer versus GM. The dealer should be experienced at this game, but they need your help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hello Guys,

The Dealer called me on Friday and told me they can't see my car until next Wednesday because Saturday is their busiest day and they cannot check that kind of problems on Saturdays??? ridiculous eh? I told them that I work all the week and have no time to go there in a week day, so they offer me to borrow me a car until my car is ready (a lot of conditions apply here) and I have to drop the car at 7:30 am.., so I'm thinking to call another dealer close to my job to avoid losing time (this one is very far from my job) and money...let's see what the other says... the history continue, but the good thing is that the radio is not giving problems until now...everything works fine..so I don't know what caused the problem before....

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hello Guys,

The Dealer called me on Friday and told me they can't see my car until next Wednesday because Saturday is their busiest day and they cannot check that kind of problems on Saturdays??? ridiculous eh? I told them that I work all the week and have no time to go there in a week day, so they offer me to borrow me a car until my car is ready (a lot of conditions apply here) and I have to drop the car at 7:30 am.., so I'm thinking to call another dealer close to my job to avoid losing time (this one is very far from my job) and money...let's see what the other says... the history continue, but the good thing is that the radio is not giving problems until now...everything works fine..so I don't know what caused the problem before....
Hey there,

Did you decide on whether or not you'd be going to the dealership closer to your job for an inspection? I understand your Cruze is no longer experiencing radio issues. Because this matter is intermittent it may pose additional challenges for the dealer to determine what caused this to happen. Nevertheless, please keep us posted on your decision. We're happy to do what we can to assist as well.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just wanted to throw this out there that your issue is not exclusive to the cruze. My wife has a 2014 equinox with mylink and this issue showed up two weeks ago. After scrolling through a few equinox forums they've been experiencing this for years but nobody has an answer as to why.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Just wanted to throw this out there that your issue is not exclusive to the cruze. My wife has a 2014 equinox with mylink and this issue showed up two weeks ago. After scrolling through a few equinox forums they've been experiencing this for years but nobody has an answer as to why.
I know why, its a computer with code stored in flashdrive that started in 1996 with OBD II augmented by the fact of using commercial grade microcontrollers in a military environment where leakage currents double with every 10*C increase in temperature.

In flashramm just a few electrons are trapped in and FET gate that is of sub picofarad capacitance that discriminates between a logical 0 or 1. One bit off will affect an instruction byte, microcontroller won't recognize it and will crash freezing the screen if not the microcontroller itself.

Key reason why a chose a white color and a light tan interior for my Cruze, in the hot sun, the interior is much cooler.

Wasn't near the problem with OBD I when PROM's were used for code, burnt in solid, then the internet came along, let's update this way the idiots demanded. Don't see where they are saving money, takes a mechanic forever to enter the VIN and to find the correct firmware, then download to a notebook then reload it into the vehicle. If this is the problem!

Engineers do not like this, like reliability, but don't blame them, blame marketing trying to please the stockholders. Should do a cost analysis on this along with customer satisfaction. This crap has been going on for 20 years now.

Not so bad when your radio freezes up, can be quite nasty if your ECU freezes up.

·
Registered
57 Posts
You went over my head with that one. In laymen's terms it's heat related? But is the problem in the tablet itself or is there a separate controller causing the issue?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts