Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Banned
9,198 Posts
Sounds like that Swiss airliner where they installed consumer grade electronics for entertainment. Not even a power switch to the main bus that also burned up the control wires killing 256 people. Were any such modifications made to your Cruze?

Could also be a dragging brake pad or shoe, but then the rotor or drum would be red hot. Not too much electrical back there, trunk release and tail and brake lamps, would think a fuse should blow. Was a trailer hitch connector installed? Problems like this can be found visually. Someone would have to take a look.

· Reverend Red Bull
1,153 Posts
I don't remember what model you had, but I remember that same smell from my Diesel (smells just like pulling a new computer or TV out of the box for the first time). I figured it just had to do with the DEF tank or the associated electronics. It never led to any problems, and it faded and eventually disappeared by my first service. If you're not a Diesel, I guess this doesn't apply, though.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
Another source of this odor is from the protective plastic shrink wrap that is on the exhaust system. It takes a couple hundred miles of driving at operating temperatures to burn this off.

· Resident Forum Drunkard
8,257 Posts
Sup EDDY . You still having crazy problems Dawg . It is -9 degrees here and I do not smell a thing but cold . Have to find my scarf , Have you seen my scarf it is gray and keeps my nose from dripping in this frigid cold . Oh well ..............

· Registered
309 Posts
And here i was going to say the last time I had this issue was after an encounter at a seedy mexican joint with a dish called El pollo Diablo......

In all seriousness I agree with Obermd it sounds like exhaust smell. you get this same effect if you have any new exhaust parts added or swapped. The metal is often coated or wrapped to protect agianst oxidization while shipping and prior to installation. or it could be some undercoating spray theyve added burning off the hot exhaust.

· Premium Member
5,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is the odor from the new tire and all the plastic carpeting in there.

Rob
I must admit I think your answer is it! I wouldn't have expected that plastic looking putty stuff on the bottom of the trunk to cut me. What is that stuff. Looks like welds with a cream applied? You would think they could assign a Robot to smooth out any areas that could possibly cause danger to the end user!

· Premium Member
5,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sup EDDY . You still having crazy problems Dawg . It is -9 degrees here and I do not smell a thing but cold . Have to find my scarf , Have you seen my scarf it is gray and keeps my nose from dripping in this frigid cold . Oh well ..............
I haven't seen it although it might take awhile to land. In Chicago I went to summer camp and we released balloons with Post Cards. Mine was found in Wisconsin, so who knows how far your scarf will go? Just learned some great news that the Choo Choo in Des Plaines is still operating and perhaps we will have a 2015 CRUZE meet there? How is Hackneys. I was there about 45 years ago!

· Resident Forum Drunkard
8,257 Posts
I do not get to DesPlaines much , so to know about Hackneys would be out of the Question . We will have to ask Robby whom lives in DesPlaines for that answer .
So you want to have a meet in 2015 ? 2014 is here and would much rather prefer sooner than later !
Robby is Hackneys still open ?

· Banned
9,198 Posts
I do not get to DesPlaines much , so to know about Hackneys would be out of the Question . We will have to ask Robby whom lives in DesPlaines for that answer .
So you want to have a meet in 2015 ? 2014 is here and would much rather prefer sooner than later !
Robby is Hackneys still open ?
Don't want to give away my age, but once you passed DesPlains was in farm fields. Was one of the first to drive on the new Edens expressway, still three lanes after some 50 odd years.

It was around 30 years ago, Edens wasn't very crowded, had a heavy rain. When approaching an underpass, something told me to hit the brakes. Had an idiot on my butt, was on the inside lane, AH could have used the middle lane. But instead, blew his horn, shaking his fist, giving me the finger, slammed on this gas and passed me only to drive in three feet of water.

Ha, really had a great time yelling at him with every foul word I could think of, only wish I had my camera with me. He had no replies.

Sheridan was another great road for testing out an Austin Healy with all those curves. Today a traffic light on every corner. Claimed it was an old Indian trail, call them that because Columbus thought he was in India, name stuck. Gather those Indians didn't know how to walk in a straight line.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.