Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2nd 2012 1.8l mt 147000km
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The crankshaft pulley, the harmonic balancer, if it's easier, you can measure circumference by wrapping a tape around it. I'll extrapolate.

edit : I'm asking because this is a measurement I don't have yet to finish my supercharger calculations.
No beans bro, it was a work night so I had to drive it to work in the morning, but if I'm in there again I will.... And I assumed that too, been keeping an eye on your build

·
Premium Member
2012 LS, 6MT, Topaz Blue, ECO wheels
283 Posts
No beans bro, it was a work night so I had to drive it to work in the morning, but if I'm in there again I will.... And I assumed that too, been keeping an eye on your build
dangit, oh well haha

looking at parts on rockauto I found that said 142mm, so I'm wondering if that's the right dimensions because it doesn't look the same.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
dangit, oh well haha

looking at parts on rockauto I found that said 142mm, so I'm wondering if that's the right dimensions because it doesn't look the same.
physically 142mm sounds about right as i recall it being in the 5-6" range.

Can't wait.... So tomorrow I hit the highway at 330am to be in Shanonville by 7-715. 3.5hr drive. 8hr track day. Poor car is going to be a rented mule by days end, not to mention myself at ...8... 3.5...2... =15hrs.. give or take 16hrs total.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Track time went well. Wasted half a tank bombing there at 3k rpm almost the whole 3.5 hrs there. Coming back was a quarter tank lol. Took an easy coming back on the back roads opting for a more scenic route.

As for the day there was eight 20minute sessions. Just long enough to make the car work up a smell, coolant temperature didn't change, but smelled of burning oilly, rubbery... Something. Felt pretty good doing corners at speed that floating feeling as you are turning. turn in was good and had oversteer, quite nimble as I've read everywhere.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
and growing pains, i've recently noticed a binding noise from the front right strut. upon inspection the spring is loose in its perch. so i guess that is another part on the list... and talking about the list i've got two radiator support brackets coming in. i was doing my normal engine bay inspection and seen one bracket completely gone.

Flipping to the tranny, there is an occasional wine in 2nd, 4th an 6th wine regardless now with 6th feeling sluggish. 1st no problems, 3rd, have to give it time shifting from 2nd above 5k rpms, 5th seems to be no problem. At 155k KM. So I'm guessing the 2,4,6 gear spool got shimmed too tight from factory, or 6th gear bearing is going out prematurely?

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
13,670 Posts
View attachment 297362
And I finally got to the timing belt. I broke the cover, the brass insert spun so it was a sol moment. There's no oil seepage on the timing side, but the idler bearing did poop its contents everywhere so a bit of grim with all the belt dust. Given that I washed the timing cover, hermonic balancer and gave a soapy scrub to the inside... The p0011 code looks strong with this one... New soliniod, new cam gear "Ina china" complements of the previous purchaser. Although original belts/ rollers. The water pump seems to have a couple seeping spots better veiwed without the timing cover on.

View attachment 297364

Stressing that you need the "special" lock tool to change your belt? Naw easy peasy the exhaust cam is a easy one hander to twist. I do recommend the carry over method with this. Marking spots with sharpy as pictured below, makes for a fool proof way as you verify the belt Length carrying over the marks, and everything is marked on the gears.

View attachment 297363

And back to better. The car runs a little more responsive. And quieter

Weird notes I thought I torqued the crank bolt, and on start up the bolts threaded out. After reinstalling I turned on the car and the headlights were blinking along with the parking brake on warning beeper, even though I didn't have the parking brake drawn. Second start up the lights still blinked and the next start it was back to normal.
Service Bulletin - NHTSA
Outdated but related: TSB# 14371A: Water Pump special coverage

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
13,670 Posts
Track time went well. Wasted half a tank bombing there at 3k rpm almost the whole 3.5 hrs there. Coming back was a quarter tank lol. Took an easy coming back on the back roads opting for a more scenic route.

As for the day there was eight 20minute sessions. Just long enough to make the car work up a smell, coolant temperature didn't change, but smelled of burning oilly, rubbery... Something. Felt pretty good doing corners at speed that floating feeling as you are turning. turn in was good and had oversteer, quite nimble as I've read everywhere.
FIX: Coolant Odors/Coolant Loss From Reservoir
Antifreeze Smell Thread
Cruze Cabin Odors, Sources, and Resolution Summary
2013 Cruze oil smell from heater
Heat Is Causing A Bad Oil Smell?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Only update so far...

Got backed into by a 2010 Toyota Tacoma. They're backing out onto the street and hit my car, pushing it up against the curb throwing off the camber.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

Car Tire Vehicle Automotive parking light Plant

• Angry
Reactions: guuyuk

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Guy that's giving the repair estimate said it looks like they'd write it off.

So this is it guys, no more than an empty tank and driving it like I stole it till I know.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Automotive tire Door Wood Grey Gas

Finally got tired of filling up, and bleeding the coolant system a couple times a week and decided to change the bottom hose clamp. And the arfing petcock had no drain hole lol. So I uscrewd the whole plug and did the slow drain.

Got it all bleed and topped off, and so far it's dry... Sucks having to repair a possibly condemned car.

On a side note the PCV is done. Pulling the dip stick there isn't the break in vacuum, undoing the oil cap sound as thought how the pulling of the dip stick should sound, and finally, engine is stumbly below 2000rpm.

the transmission is doing better. i decided another half liter of oil couldn't hurt and well it's helped, whine is down to 3rd and 4th gear and only under moderate acceleration.

Still no word on insurance yet

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Insurance got back to me, and they're want to write it off. Sadly they are low balling as the pay out doesn't cover a replacement at market value

Time to see what my options are, like the design is simple so I see another 500k km left in the car. I don't know about Ontario legislation but the insurance company has previously gave me the run around about needing a "OMVIC" license to buy back my previous car.

Like driving hasn't been a problem, neerly 2000km I've put on since being hit, and the rear end looks better.

Twats

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I'm going to just roll with it for now, hence finally finding a name for this car "Ghost". I contacted the body shop that did the quote for the insurance company and they quoted 10,350 to fix it, essentially repainting the whole side of the car. visited a couple other repair shops and neither got what I was asking for, gave me a straight answer. I did however stop by the scrap yard and for 200 bucks I could have a bolt up ready door, and with a hard wood block and mini sledge i could work some therapeutic magic on my baby, say including the door 800 bucks

now last I have to do is attempt to contact the guy and see if he'd like to settle it without insurance, and or how much he'd be comfortable paying.

on the other hand I'm getting antsy I'm 200 km away from an oil change and have parts I must put on, :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
officially past 10,000km and now at 5400km on the oil, still looks decent.

stripped down the hit door and ordered a new one in black, not sure how stripped out the door i ordered is, but all the hardware on the original seems good.

water level seems to be holding for the first time in, ever.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Car Tire Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Hood

A familiar look not too long ago. It was my first Cruze I had to replace both radiator supports due to a ditch jump, this time around mother nature got to this fine specimen ( hardly) and the bracket gave way.

Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Tire Tread

Driver's side radiator support bracket.

Plant Automotive tire Wheel Wood Motor vehicle

A rather simple job... Well I scrapped everything off and also covered everything in fluid film. Then between the cross member and bracket I applied impact grease, should be good to go for a while.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Wood Automotive exterior

Passenger side radiator support bracket and more fluid film.

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle

And I haven't seen a common picture so I'll post it here. This is the radiator temp sensor, changed that and one of the CEL code went away.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Long weekend coming up, so will... Have to do something to the car. The car is back to leaking coolant this time from the oil cooler that I still haven't done yet.

Took a look at swapping doors and everything looks easy. The wire for the door simply plugs in. And there isn't too much in the way.

Fyi driving on the highway there's a low pressure cuase of how the door is opened slightly. Came off the highway and ears were poping lol

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Automotive tire

don't look at the dog taking a ****, instead look at the missing door. Took a look and feel of the right hand door well and carried that over best I could to the driver's side. A simple(custom) block of wood and a hammer got it feeling good enough to close with no binding or hard pushing

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

In natural light the colors don't seem mismatched at all. My car is covered in gravel dust, an pollen.

Automotive side-view mirror Car Plant Vehicle Hood

And the snitzel I'm going to have to live with. The latch for the door did get pushed in an up. I figure a big enough hammer may encourage it to come out. But other than a slide hammer I'm not sure on how I'd apply outward force.

Water Automotive tire Tire Wood Road surface

Next is drop the wheel, wheel liner. And hammer it out. Not sure if a heat gun would help everything flex better. But I'm going to need to touch up and paint.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
Car Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

And the saga continues. Every single exhaust nut came off flawlessly. and like last time I reused all the hardware, sept for the bottom left nut as it rusted too much.

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Gas Auto part

And I found my oil seep. The oil cooler was absolutely covered in oil, and dried coolant. The seals baked smoother than glass. I got a doorman oil cooler seal kit in, along with a skp oil cooler assembly. Changed all the seals associated with it and swapped coolers. "Fyi the doorman oil cooler kit didn't come with the thermostat return pipe seal" so I flipped the seal over and it's working so far.

Filthy

So this little pipe is sketchy there's no stopper going into the block.

Everything worked out good. No leaks, but I did get an air pocket resulting in the "ac off" warning. Just needed a good burp.

Reactions: Blasirl

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Rim Automotive wheel system Gas

So one thing I noticed, or want to do, is reroute this wire above to the left of the water pump outlet and further away from the exhaust manifold and possibly make a heat sheild too. Right now I'm rocking no heat sheild just to make sure there's no leaks. It doesn't feel right having that raw heat out there like that.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
Lol insurance lives.

So a month out I just get a call from a new adjuster. Previous one quit and left no info so new guy still thinks cars at the shop, and some how I'm going to give it up to em.

Talk to your manager.

Day after the body shop giving the quote called and asked if I had all my belongings out of my car as they were going to tow it away that day, and asked if I was going to be paying up for the rental.

Oh boy.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts