Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2nd 2012 1.8l mt 147000km
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
Speedometer Plant Tachometer Car Gauge

160k km 580mi short of 100k miles. Usual is 7.2l/100km but out of city driving with no bumper air intake dam I'm about 5.2-6l/100km. Real good, about 750km a tank.

Other news, the oil cooler has some how solved my P0011 timing code, I assume there's debris in the oil cooler since it goes through the cooler before the filter. So I'll have to rip it apart out of curiosity. Currently CEL free.

mini update, p0011 is back. put on over 800km this weekend. also i comfirmed my my suspicion that a wheel sensor is dirty. the last i'd say 3 weeks there's been the ocasional abs/traction pump clicking upon initial movement. and during a hoon sesh this weekend i shifted and dumped clutch right as the road transitioned from pavement to gravel resualting in a momentary burn out, followed by the "service abs!, service traction control!" whipped out the obd2 computer then and there to find the right rear sensor acting up, first i'll try cleaning the encoder rin of debris as they have a habit of collecting magnetic dust.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
So I don't know how but I've been relatively vibration free, after the backing into... Today I wanted to adjust the drum brake as the parking brake has been a little deeper a pull than usual, a typical drum problem. well that rim that took the hit has a inch and a half wobble in it.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Right at the top.

Totally shocked, inspected the tire and no abnormal wear. But there does seem to be a uneven pressure mark where the rim meets the drum face, and visibly looks like the itsy bitsy spokes saved the day. Least the DAI Apex rims run about 200/PC. Plus 100 install.

Insurance asked for the invoice for the replacement door and said the car would need to go on a "frame rack". So I ordered up replacement struts, gold spec Delco water pump ,and a rear wheel bearing as the sensor has coincidentally stopped working.

Also on the side I ordered a transmission fluid cooler, eventually I want to do more demanding stuff, and longer drives.

And lastly in a multi point cooling system that is old, when you fix one problem it typically moves as it allows for higher operating temps and pressure. Blawh blawh my next leak isn't the water pump that looks like it is leaking but the upper hose connection to the heater core has popped a seal.

Upon letting the car cool off, turns out the top hose was never seated to begin with, from when I assume whoever did the clutch job/ engine swap, that suns a bee been holding with the safety clip on the wrong side of the pipe. Wow.

Boy

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Cars been good, boiled out almost a gallon of coolant when the feed pipe slide off the heater core inlet.

Changed out the wobbly wheel. I figure the wheel bearing is cooked as I had an hours drive to get to where my extra wheels are and the drum was almost untouchably hot. Explains the wheel speed sensor not working to a tee.

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
13,670 Posts
Cars been good, boiled out almost a gallon of coolant when the feed pipe slide off the heater core inlet.

Changed out the wobbly wheel. I figure the wheel bearing is cooked as I had an hours drive to get to where my extra wheels are and the drum was almost untouchably hot. Explains the wheel speed sensor not working to a tee.
So, did you buy it back from the insurance company? I lost the thread awhile ago.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
So, did you buy it back from the insurance company? I lost the thread awhile ago.
Nope, it's been a dick ache.

The adjuster assigned to me quite, so that was a whole month without contact. FF to early July they gave me a buy out quote as their "certified" body shop was going to work the car bumper to bumper for $11k. At that point I said arf off and that I AM KEEPING MY CAR, the other guy left his info and their company is accepting full responsibility.

So I went to a body shop got a quote and sent it off, currently they're still calculating it out, they asked me last week for the invoice for the door, and I'll be sending out the quote I got for the replacement wheel today.

Door-250
Rim -270
Quarter panel- 1600
Wheel bearing 150

Feeling frustrated, I usually have 1 day a week free time fill it with working on the car. but I've been keeping it to the essentials because idk how it's going to play out. There's body work I'm aching to do "as I picked it up in March," right now it looks like a POS and everybody that's looked at it is treating it as such, because i don't know k if I'm going to be wasting 10+hrs polishing the body back to normal for nothing

Sadly the quarter panel is just the dent they're going to "pull" it out via tack and pull. Preferably I'd like to cut it out and weld a new one in as that would be the best way to get the body lines perfect and would take care of the rust spot I have too...

·
Administrator
13,670 Posts
Nope, it's been a dick ache.

The adjuster assigned to me quite, so that was a whole month without contact. FF to early July they gave me a buy out quote as their "certified" body shop was going to work the car bumper to bumper for $11k. At that point I said arf off and that I AM KEEPING MY CAR, the other guy left his info and their company is accepting full responsibility.

So I went to a body shop got a quote and sent it off, currently they're still calculating it out, they asked me last week for the invoice for the door, and I'll be sending out the quote I got for the replacement wheel today.

Door-250
Rim -270
Quarter panel- 1600
Wheel bearing 150

Feeling frustrated, but least I haven't succumb to being petty to the other party. I usually have 1 day a week free time for car projects but I've been keeping it to the essentials because idk how it's going to play out. There's body work I'm aching to do "as I picked it up in March," right now it looks like a POS and everybody that's looked at it is treating it as such, because i don't know k if I'm going to be wasting 10+hrs polishing the body back to normal for nothing

Sadly the quarter panel is just the dent they're going to "pull" it out via tack and pull. Preferably I'd like to cut it out and weld a new one in as that would be the best way to get the body lines perfect and would take care of the rust spot I have too...
Buy your own welder with the stud option and do it yourself. Might be near in price, but you get the equipment.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Buy your own welder with the stud option and do it yourself. Might be near in price, but you get the equipment.

awh yeah, was thinking more invasive.....

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

Cut starting at the middle of the door well "as that rust is.... structural paint there is no metal" and carry that over to the trunk under the bumper cover and go up as far needed for best form. A brief verbal quote from the salvage lot said about 500 for a quarter cut. Arf alot faster and possibly cheaper than the labor would be to pull it out.

Most of the issue is waiting on insurance. If it was a hit n run it'd be a partially different situation, an out of pocket one. With alot less red tape, but compensation is better than nothing.

Oh @Blasirl
Yeah, I'm looking at it that way. I had priced out rebuilding the transmission and going to a shop to get it dealt with.... I could get a used tranny, new bearing kit, and an engine hoist for the price of them only taking the transmission out of the car.

Reactions: Blasirl

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Progress.

Insurance wants me to go get an inspection/ alignment done and go from there.

Right now I know I'd need a right hand strut. And the rear wheel bearing.
Bottle Gas Composite material Cylinder Auto part

Gold spec water pump, Moog wheel bearing, two Monroe quick struts.

Car Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Yeah I forget to tell myself I'm building a tranny cooler setup for sedan class tractor pulls.

·
Administrator
13,670 Posts
awh yeah, was thinking more invasive.....

View attachment 298683

Cut starting at the middle of the door well "as that rust is.... structural paint there is no metal" and carry that over to the trunk under the bumper cover and go up as far needed for best form. A brief verbal quote from the salvage lot said about 500 for a quarter cut. Arf alot faster and possibly cheaper than the labor would be to pull it out.

Most of the issue is waiting on insurance. If it was a hit n run it'd be a partially different situation, an out of pocket one. With alot less red tape, but compensation is better than nothing.

Oh @Blasirl
Yeah, I'm looking at it that way. I had priced out rebuilding the transmission and going to a shop to get it dealt with.... I could get a used tranny, new bearing kit, and an engine hoist for the price of them only taking the transmission out of the car.
Just remember --- it is a Cruze (not a Supra).

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 · (Edited)
Just remember --- it is a early 2000's CIVIC (not a Supra).
Had to lol.

Yes it's an econo car. For myself, something that I can easily work on, parts are cheap. And enough power for what I want/ track capable enough to run with the miatas.

I guess my current pride n joy, only current hobby. Previously I've fixed bikes as a kid for money, still play with my RC monster trucks. So I veiw the car as a bigger rc lol.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
yesterday pried the drum off to prep it for the mechanic to take a look. drilled an "inspection port" in the face of the drum but the adjuster was seized so no bueno, but a good concept since there is no access port for the adjuster.

I am in the prosses of checking out the p0011, I checked with the obd2 scanner and it's now accompanied by a p0010/ an high idle. i unplugged the solenoids and guess(well I hope) I found my problem. the connector for the intake solenoid is in pieces and most likely isn't making connection.

it's a shame. the previous owner got the parts cannon at it.... vvt sproket, vvt solenoid, timing belt, cams pulled ( there's non factory sealer on the vvt cam cap) and quite possibly the head too.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 · (Edited)
So what I found was a darn shame, and a reason I don't go to garages.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas

(Found it, ac Delco PT3182 )
Connector is in pieces, blades not making contact. I'd be pissed paying all that money for a mechanic to try n slip that under the carpet.

I Jerry rigged it but it didn't last more than 10 minutes. Called the parts shop, nope. Called the dealership, everything but. So off to see if there are any close by scrap yards.

If worst comes to worst I'll solder the wires to the solenoid pins.

Wood Gas Gun accessory Auto part Nut

Screen was clean, that little spec below came out with the valve body.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
So drove into work with the wiring for the solenoid disconnected, having a p0010,p0011, and high idle.

Disconnected the car drives so much better. But still in a reduced power mode.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 · (Edited)
Okay, one last look into finding a connector and boom baby.
It's a AC Delco PT3182. Sku- 19300960.

Other good news the car got a 4 wheel alignment and nothing was off with the rear. That an I'm currently going junk yarding for the connector, cam sprocket slap is strong.:giggle:

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Okay scrap yard paid off

Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Automotive fuel system

Car runs, has power. I'll run the OBD2 later to clear/ check codes. Right now best that's happening. Later solder and heat shrink, and maybe an OEM solenoid as I suspect the doorman unit in place is causing an issue since it's not a OEM unit.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 · (Edited)
Mini update.

I tidied up the wires and got the solder flowing, hooked up OBD2 an cleared the codes. Proceeded to do a one wheel burn out coming out of limp mode... But got about 20km and CEL came back on.

So back to the scrap yard, back to the same car and retrieved a cam solenoid like I should of in the first place lol. Along with the visit I glanced and talked about pricing.

U pull, tranny 195, that quarter panel cut out? Around 100 after labour(they cut). Makes it too hard to not stock up on parts...

------------------------------

Going to clean the solenoid and put it in after work.

... Coming back from work cel went out so I haven't touched anything, car must be "oh you went through that trouble for me? , I'm going to work properly now"

41 - 57 of 57 Posts