Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very recently, I was foolish and left my windows cracked. Someone decided to get into my car, found the spare key in the center console and drove off with my car. Thanks to OnStar and the police, my car was recovered with no damage; however, whoever stole my car is still in possession of my spare key. Because of this, I am afraid to leave it anywhere unattended, as I don't know when/if this person will pop up with my key and drive off again. What are my options? Is there an easy way to reprogram my key and ignition so that they cannot start my car with the spare key, or is there a more drastic solution that needs to take place? ANY help/suggestions would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
The key cylinders for the ignitan and doors need to be replaced and new keys ordered.

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Each key is programmed to your car but your key fob is cut to your Cruze. You may have to have new locks put in by your dealer but don't quote me on that though.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,598 Posts
The encoding tied to the chip in your key (and new key) can be changed so that the old (stolen) one will not start the car anymore or open the doors via the remote.

If you open the door by sticking the key in it, it will set the alarm off.

I'd also recommend never keeping a spare key to your car IN your car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not so concerned with them unlocking my doors, as I never keep anything of value in my car; I'm just concerned with them being able to start my car w/ the spare key and drive off.

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
I'm not so concerned with them unlocking my doors, as I never keep anything of value in my car; I'm just concerned with them being able to start my car w/ the spare key and drive off.
The only advice I can give you is to take your Cruze to your dealership & see what they can do for you...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Very recently, I was foolish and left my windows cracked. Someone decided to get into my car, found the spare key in the center console and drove off with my car. Thanks to OnStar and the police, my car was recovered with no damage; however, whoever stole my car is still in possession of my spare key. Because of this, I am afraid to leave it anywhere unattended, as I don't know when/if this person will pop up with my key and drive off again. What are my options? Is there an easy way to reprogram my key and ignition so that they cannot start my car with the spare key, or is there a more drastic solution that needs to take place? ANY help/suggestions would be appreciated
I'm glad OnStar was able to recover your car! If there's anything else we can do just let me know.

-Jessica, OnStar Adviosr
Social Media Group

·
Registered
108 Posts
Go to your dealer and ask them to erase the stolen key from the list of usable keys. For a key to start the car, it must be cut right (obviously) but it must also be on the car's list of usable keys. You will not have to replace any of the cylinders.

Anyone with a GM scan tool should be able to access the car's list and clear the stolen key from the list. Obviously dealers will have one. I suggest you bring the other Cruze keys in your possession with you (if you have more than one left) and proof of ownership.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts

adam52285,
I would like to apologize for the experience that you have gone through. I am happy to hear that OnStar and the police were able to recover your car! I would agree with other posters and suggest that you contact your dealer and speak to them about your options. Please keep us posted on your progress. If you have any other questions, comments or concerns please feel free to contact me anytime.
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

1 - 14 of 14 Posts