Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I told everyone I'd do this, so here it goes.

My Cruze Eco currently has 4,000 miles on it. As promised, I'll be measuring the tread depth as some claimed that I would wear out the inner edges of the tires.

Tires were rotated at 3,500 and will be rotated every 3,500 moving forward. I have a large compressor and an impact wrench to make the job very quick. Tires will be rotated front to back and will not be crossed. Tire pressure was increased to 50psi at 2,500 miles, which means I've gone 1,500 miles on them with that pressure.

The measurement will be on 4 locations on the tire. There are 5 total ridges on the tire, but the center cannot be measured as the slits are not wide or deep enough.

The results for today's measurement?

13/64". For all tires, at all locations on the tire.

Next measurement will be posted at 7,000 miles.

Side note: these are definitely not the real Goodyear Assurance FuelMax tires (as someone truthfully pointed out). The real ones have a tread depth of 10/32" (or 20/64") when new and I can guarantee you that I didn't chew through 7/64" of tire in 4,000 miles while averaging 38.9mpg. These are simply cheap OEM spec tires designed to last you likely half of what a new tire would.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
You should rotate cross pattern as well. Front tires go straight back and the rear tires cross over as they go forward. This is the recommended pattern in the owner's manual for most cars as well as ensures that any alignment problems generate the same wear on all four tires.

Thanks for doing this. How's the ride at 50 PSI. I think if I go any higher than 40 PSI my wife will refuse to ride in the car.

·
Registered
188 Posts
XtremeRevolution you are a man of your word :) Glad to see you are putting this in the forum as you stated you would. I am curious to see how this goes. I will be tracking your progress with great interest.

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
You should rotate cross pattern as well. Front tires go straight back and the rear tires cross over as they go forward. This is the recommended pattern in the owner's manual for most cars as well as ensures that any alignment problems generate the same wear on all four tires.

Thanks for doing this. How's the ride at 50 PSI. I think if I go any higher than 40 PSI my wife will refuse to ride in the car.
I called up my buddy Bob who works at a Firestone in Ohio and asked him about this, and he said that with radial tires, they only rotate front to back. If a tire is wearing unevenly due to an alignment issue, then the alignment issue should be fixed. Wearing another tire unevenly won't be the solution. The reasoning for this is that the belts supposedly will shift ever so slightly based on the rotation of the tire and can cause problems.

Toyota does not recommend cross rotation of tires. The steel belts are accustomed to being driven in one direction and if cross rotated, belt separation may occur.
I've been reading many variations of the above statement everywhere.

The ride is noticeably firmer than at 35psi. I don't recommend it for someone looking for comfort as you will feel more of the road. It's not technically stiff, as the suspension still has the same spring rate and shocks, but you will feel more of the bumps on the road. I'm doing it to see how much life I can get out of these OEM tires compared to everyone else who will run them at placard pressure and to maximize fuel economy.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
X this is awesome I was just start looking up how to rotate our tires. I run 48 psi cold in my car and will be rotating my tires at 5k when I do my first oil change then 7500 everytime after that. I may do it 2x every oil change so every 5k. Not sure tho. May do tires and oil ever 7500 just make it easy. Great job X. I like following your threads and post!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: XtremeRevolution

·
Registered
468 Posts
I'll be doing oil and tire rotations every 5k miles. My tires are currently at 38-40 psi (was this way the day I picked the car up) cold but I think I might bump it up to 45 psi cold. I'm used to a car that can feel the bumps in the road.

I don't know why GM is recommending 7500 mile tire rotations.

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll be doing oil and tire rotations every 5k miles. My tires are currently at 38-40 psi (was this way the day I picked the car up) cold but I think I might bump it up to 45 psi cold. I'm used to a car that can feel the bumps in the road.

I don't know why GM is recommending 7500 mile tire rotations.
7500 is probably ok. I'm only doing it every 3500 because I have the tools to do so very easily and it allows me to ensure very even wear on these tires to accurately prove to myself and everyone else whether or not running tires at maximum sidewall pressure causes tires to wear unevenly.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
OK. Page 10-53 of the 2012 Cruze Owner's manual shows Front directly to Rear and the Rear's change sides on their way to the front. I think this is a good question for Stacy to try to get answered for us. I understand what X is saying - I'd like to know why it doesn't match what Chevy is telling us in the Owner's manual.

Cruze Tire Rotation Diagram.JPG

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
OK. Page 10-53 of the 2012 Cruze Owner's manual shows Front directly to Rear and the Rear's change sides on their way to the front. I think this is a good question for Stacy to try to get answered for us. I understand what X is saying - I'd like to know why it doesn't match what Chevy is telling us in the Owner's manual.

View attachment 4559
GM is in absolutely no position to be giving us recommendations on tire rotations. They provide us with a tire that has half of it's usable safe tread life compared to the retail tire named Goodyear Assurance FuelMax that we can find in a tire store in an effort to ensure that we only get 30k miles out of it if not less, and they don't warranty those tires for mileage or any other tires we put on the car thereafter.

If GM were to accept liability for damages to tires as a result of their rotation requirements for every tire I put on my car while I own it, I'd rotate them exactly as they recommend, but since they don't, what they say means nothing to me.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I have to bring up a point about the discussion of inflation pressures. There are different trim levels of Cruze's with different tires. The OP here says that he is using 50psi on the Goodyear tires mounted on his Eco. Another poster in this thread said that his Cruze came off the dealers lot with 38-40 inflation pressures, but i dont know what tire he has. I have the 2LT with Continental ContiProContact tires mounted on it. And the listed max inflation for these tires is 44psi. If I go along worth inflating the tire to 50psi it will be well beyond the design of the tire. So it is important to state exactly what trim level you have and what tire when discussing inflation pressures on your car.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I believe most people have been stating that they are using max listed sidewall tire PSI or less. It is wise to check your tires actual sidewall max PSI before adding additional pressure...but I would think that would be common sense :)

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have to bring up a point about the discussion of inflation pressures. There are different trim levels of Cruze's with different tires. The OP here says that he is using 50psi on the Goodyear tires mounted on his Eco. Another poster in this thread said that his Cruze came off the dealers lot with 38-40 inflation pressures, but i dont know what tire he has. I have the 2LT with Continental ContiProContact tires mounted on it. And the listed max inflation for these tires is 44psi. If I go along worth inflating the tire to 50psi it will be well beyond the design of the tire. So it is important to state exactly what trim level you have and what tire when discussing inflation pressures on your car.
This thread was created in response to this 12 page thread:

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/27-fuel-economy/5733-tire-psi-max-mpgs.html

I believe most people have been stating that they are using max listed sidewall tire PSI or less. It is wise to check your tires actual sidewall max PSI before adding additional pressure...but I would think that would be common sense :)
Correct. The Cruze Eco's tires are rated for a max sidewall of 51psi. It should be common sense that one shouldn't inflate their tires beyond their max sidewall rating.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Mine are at 44psi, also max psi rated for firestone fr170 tires

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
I have an ECO hence the name at 48. We should prolly spell it out for people tho cause me being AD Navy alot of people I come across dont have common sence, so I wouldn't put it past someone to copy the PSI some of us run and not paying attention their side wall max... and the getting mad at us in the event of a freek accident like the engine block crack stated in another post.

Reactions: XtremeRevolution

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have an ECO hence the name at 48. We should prolly spell it out for people tho cause me being AD Navy alot of people I come across dont have common sence, so I wouldn't put it past someone to copy the PSI some of us run and not paying attention their side wall max... and the getting mad at us in the event of a freek accident like the engine block crack stated in another post.

I don't think that would really be possible. Even 5psi over max sidewall would not be enough to damage the tire. You'd have to double the sidewall rating before you start having to worry about something. Keep in mind that these tires are designed to be filled at their max sidewall pressures when cold. Say you fill them up on a 70 degree morning, and it gets up to 100 degrees that day in hot baking sun and you're driving at 70mph over the pavement. Chances are your tires will heat up enough from what they were earlier to get you more than 5psi what they were earlier.

That said, I agree with you that some people just don't pay attention. While I know the manufacturers built in a huge margin of safety, I wouldn't recommend anyone exceed the max sidewall pressure cold.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I think you misunderstood my post. What I'm trying to do is understand why cross patterns are bad for radial tires. I understand Toyota's issue as I actually have the Toyota service manual on how to eliminate pull in a properly aligned vehicle. (Toyota designs the suspension to drift to the right.) However, what I don't understand is why cars designed to go straight when properly aligned shouldn't have their tires cross rotated. I have always crossed my tires when rotating them and frequently get longer tread life than the rating on the tires.

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think you misunderstood my post. What I'm trying to do is understand why cross patterns are bad for radial tires. I understand Toyota's issue as I actually have the Toyota service manual on how to eliminate pull in a properly aligned vehicle. (Toyota designs the suspension to drift to the right.) However, what I don't understand is why cars designed to go straight when properly aligned shouldn't have their tires cross rotated. I have always crossed my tires when rotating them and frequently get longer tread life than the rating on the tires.
Because supposedly, cross rotating changes the direction the tire is turning and as a result, has a possibility to cause the belt(s) to move. So long as there isn't an alignment problem with the car, this shouldn't wear any given tire or pair of tires more than the others.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Thank you.

1 - 20 of 175 Posts