Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would try loosening the bolts and moving it over then retorque the bolts. After doing some work on our cruze I have found more loose bolts and nuts then I would care to mention. I recently replace the exhaust with a 2.5 inch cat back. I was expecting a hard time under the car to loosen the bolts from the cat! Well I got down there grabbed my breaker bar and *&$#, nearly broke my knuckles because they were only just tight. I would not be at all surprised to find the trunk lid bolts only that way also. I have a body kit coming with a trunk lid spoiler that has to be drilled and bolted on. my trunk lid is off center also. I will be correcting that before the spoiler goes on for sure.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Steps on how to re-align your trunk lid.
1. Measure the gap on each side of the trunk lid. determine how much you need to adjust.
2. Open your trunk lid and remove the retaining clips for the trunk lid liner around the mounting bars for the trunk lid. Only need to remove the ones around those bars( I only needed to remove 6 to give me access to the bolts)
3. Loosen the four bolts that secure the trunk lid to those bars(only enough to give you some sideways movement) We are metric here so I needed a 10mm socket I think in the USA you will need a 3/8" socket or wrench. BTW the bolts on mine were pathetically loose. Not any more!
4. Gently rock back and forth the trunk lid and push in the direction you need. Once it has moved (will only move a tiny amount anyway) check the gaps again.
5. Gently push the trunk lid back down until you can measure the gaps try not to latch it just yet. If you need more movement then repeat step 4.
6. If you are satisfied with the gaps then gently raise the trunk lid back up and re-tighten the four bolts.
7. Lower and re-check your measurements, if all is good then open the lid back up and replace your retaining clips and you are finished. Hopefully the gaps are even.
Mine took me about 10 minutes all up and no more mis-aligned trunk lid.
Happy Cruze-ing all!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.