Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
go look on a dealer lot and they are all misaligned. I bet your doors on one side aren't aligned either.

I had to go back and get my left side doors aligned and with my trunk the taillights aren't aligned perfect on the right side but the gaps are all the same on both sides and dealer said there was nothing that could be done.

Your gaps look way off though and your taillight was a lot more misaligned than mine.

If you can move it that easy something is not right and needs to be tightened permanently.

The panel alignment on these cars leave a lot to be desired from the factory.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Steps on how to re-align your trunk lid.
1. Measure the gap on each side of the trunk lid. determine how much you need to adjust.
2. Open your trunk lid and remove the retaining clips for the trunk lid liner around the mounting bars for the trunk lid. Only need to remove the ones around those bars( I only needed to remove 6 to give me access to the bolts)
3. Loosen the four bolts that secure the trunk lid to those bars(only enough to give you some sideways movement) We are metric here so I needed a 10mm socket I think in the USA you will need a 3/8" socket or wrench. BTW the bolts on mine were pathetically loose. Not any more!
4. Gently rock back and forth the trunk lid and push in the direction you need. Once it has moved (will only move a tiny amount anyway) check the gaps again.
5. Gently push the trunk lid back down until you can measure the gaps try not to latch it just yet. If you need more movement then repeat step 4.
6. If you are satisfied with the gaps then gently raise the trunk lid back up and re-tighten the four bolts.
7. Lower and re-check your measurements, if all is good then open the lid back up and replace your retaining clips and you are finished. Hopefully the gaps are even.
Mine took me about 10 minutes all up and no more mis-aligned trunk lid.
Happy Cruze-ing all!!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Steps on how to re-align your trunk lid.
1. Measure the gap on each side of the trunk lid. determine how much you need to adjust.
2. Open your trunk lid and remove the retaining clips for the trunk lid liner around the mounting bars for the trunk lid. Only need to remove the ones around those bars( I only needed to remove 6 to give me access to the bolts)
3. Loosen the four bolts that secure the trunk lid to those bars(only enough to give you some sideways movement) We are metric here so I needed a 10mm socket I think in the USA you will need a 3/8" socket or wrench. BTW the bolts on mine were pathetically loose. Not any more!
4. Gently rock back and forth the trunk lid and push in the direction you need. Once it has moved (will only move a tiny amount anyway) check the gaps again.
5. Gently push the trunk lid back down until you can measure the gaps try not to latch it just yet. If you need more movement then repeat step 4.
6. If you are satisfied with the gaps then gently raise the trunk lid back up and re-tighten the four bolts.
7. Lower and re-check your measurements, if all is good then open the lid back up and replace your retaining clips and you are finished. Hopefully the gaps are even.
Mine took me about 10 minutes all up and no more mis-aligned trunk lid.
Happy Cruze-ing all!!

how do you adjust one side down just slightly? my right side probably needs to come down like an 1/8 of an inch ( fi that) so the taillights are aligned on that side.

·
Premium Member
2,698 Posts
My 2014 CTD trunk looked identical to the OP's pics at the start of this thread. Successfully performed the grab, yank, tweak method today...good as new. The whole structure/hinge system seems weak to me, could easily envision someone slamming the lid on a trunk full of golf clubs and sending it back out of alignment.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.