2,608 Posts

· COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
7,107 Posts
Nice! We're getting there!

· Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hit mine a week or so ago. celebrated with a new serp belt and tensioner!
Yup. Same here. Water Pump, Timing Belt, Serpentine Belt, Tensioner, and both Pulleys. Plus a new alternator and both Battery Cables (High resistance). Extended warranty covered the alternator and Chevy Customer Service covered the $450 for cables. So $485 labor and $220 for parts (Water Pump, Timing Belt, Serpentine Belt, Tensioner, and both Pulleys). Woke up today to a dead batterry!! WTF

Reactions: Rivergoer

· COTM Winner
7,107 Posts
Only $705 for the timing belt, water pump and the serpentine belt and pulleys?

Wow, that's cheaper than I thought (I kept hearing ~$1k). The timing belt is something I am totally capable of replacing, however, it is something I'm not interested in replacing, nor do I really have the time to devote to it. For that price, it's worth having the dealer do it - and that way, if something goes wrong, they're on the hook to fix it, and not me.

Reactions: plasticplant

· Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Only $705 for the timing belt, water pump and the serpentine belt and pulleys?

Wow, that's cheaper than I thought (I kept hearing ~$1k). The timing belt is something I am totally capable of replacing, however, it is something I'm not interested in replacing, nor do I really have the time to devote to it. For that price, it's worth having the dealer do it - and that way, if something goes wrong, they're on the hook to fix it, and not me.
So, I chose to acquire my GM parts from an alternate source to save some money. My Dealership actually quoted me $850 parts and labor for the Water Pump, Tensioner, timing belt, and serpentine belt. I decided to to some money bu acquiring my own GM Parts and just pay for the labor (plus I also got a new right and left pulley). So that save me a couple of hundred bucks. However, if parts fail the labor is not warrantied since my dealership did not provide the parts. My experience with the service center gave me the confidence to move forward.

· COTM Winner
7,107 Posts
I mean, from my memory, the dealer warranties their work for a year - and the parts, if you buy them elsewhere, come with a one year warranty...so the dealer would warranty the work they did, and you'd have to warranty the part yourself.

But, it's not likely those would fail.

· Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Three years later... no issues.

Reactions: Blasirl

· Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
only about 150k. Only updated because of questions in other post about cost.

· Registered
2014 Cruze TD
1,056 Posts
So, I chose to acquire my GM parts from an alternate source to save some money. My Dealership actually quoted me $850 parts and labor for the Water Pump, Tensioner, timing belt, and serpentine belt. I decided to to some money bu acquiring my own GM Parts and just pay for the labor (plus I also got a new right and left pulley). So that save me a couple of hundred bucks. However, if parts fail the labor is not warrantied since my dealership did not provide the parts. My experience with the service center gave me the confidence to move forward.
That's interesting that a dealer did work and put on your parts. I don't know if my dealer would do that. I've asked a few shops and they won't do that either.

· Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They give me $30 oil changes when I bring in my own filter and Pennzoil to.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.