Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple years ago I asked Alexa to please start my vehicle. This is something I had enjoyed for a while. You could connect the my Chevrolet app to your Alexa. I had been remotely starting my vehicle this way for a couple years. This time I got some message that the service wasn't able to do it. Upon further inspection I learned that the my Chevrolet service is now something you have to completely pay for. You get no free services. Is anyone else pissed about this??!! How are you going to take away features that were part of the reason I bought the car? I'm not your average consumer, I do my research and usually have about 10 questions that most salesman can't even answer about cars.

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
The cell plan costs money.

If GM made it free forever they would have to foot that bill forever. Its not much. Probably $2 to $3 a month for the absolute basic services. But when you make almost 3 million vehicles a year.... Do the math.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
3,737 Posts
It's included in my Onstar "Essentials" plan. Along with navigation.

Little is free in this world anymore. Especially if it adds to convenience.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,684 Posts
It's free for 5 years ONLY.

Call it a 5 year free promotion.

I have 13 months left.
One that was very well advertised, to boot.

This should not have been a surprise. It's irritating, but they told you it would happen.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One that was very well advertised, to boot.

This should not have been a surprise. It's irritating, but they told you it would happen.
Fair enough. Thanks for the feedback everyone. I know everything is a pay per play model nowadays.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The cell plan costs money.

If GM made it free forever they would have to foot that bill forever. Its not much. Probably $2 to $3 a month for the absolute basic services. But when you make almost 3 million vehicles a year.... Do the math.
I am not talking about the cell plan. There were features available for years on my Chevrolet app. Basically it was just the key fob options in the app. Meaning I could use the app to do the same things that were on my keyfob. I am only talking about those options. One of them was remote start. I have a 2012 chevrolet cruze and was able to do this all the way up to 2019.

·
Super Moderator
3,737 Posts
I am not talking about the cell plan. There were features available for years on my Chevrolet app. Basically it was just the key fob options in the app. Meaning I could use the app to do the same things that were on my keyfob. I am only talking about those options. One of them was remote start. I have a 2012 chevrolet cruze and was able to do this all the way up to 2019.
Onstar recently changed there packages.

I do remember the Onstar representative telling me when I bought my car in 2017 that the "basic" package was free for 5 years. It sounds like you just got lucky and they never turned yours off at the 5 year mark.

·
Premium Member
5,684 Posts
Onstar recently changed there packages.

I do remember the Onstar representative telling me when I bought my car in 2017 that the "basic" package was free for 5 years. It sounds like you just got lucky and they never turned yours off at the 5 year mark.
On our Cruze we made it past the 5 year mark as well, but eventually they figured it out and "fixed the glitch". Was a bit more inconvenient that she couldn't remote-start the car from inside work (it was a 1/4 mile walk from the office to the car) anymore in winter, but that also did lead to less wasted fuel so not the biggest issue.

Now that we're remote, it's even less of a concern.

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
OnStar uses a special cell plan for its service. Including the remote start.
They are all cell plans… Technically. Just one gives you unlimited data.

·
Premium Member
3,152 Posts
Well yah it was never a life of the car thing. You can pay to have it redone. Best feature was on star button, and have them input the address I need vs the manual way. Boy is the GPS interface slow.

·
Super Moderator
3,737 Posts
I think the in car GPS is for life BUT you have to pay for map updates from GM.
Navigation on a Gen 1 doesn't work without a paid onstar subscription. Unless your in the free trial period.

·
Premium Member
3,152 Posts
Navigation on a Gen 1 doesn't work without a paid onstar subscription. Unless your in the free trial period.
My 15 diesel GPS works perfectly fine and my subscription ran out long ago. Now if I press onstar to have the person put in the directions it won’t work. But if I type in the address into my gps it works fine.

I can post a video if needed.

·
Premium Member
5,684 Posts
My 15 diesel GPS works perfectly fine and my subscription ran out long ago. Now if I press onstar to have the person put in the directions it won’t work. But if I type in the address into my gps it works fine.

Is that the built in nav, or Onstar directions? Built in nav doesn't need an Onstar subscription.

·
Premium Member
3,152 Posts
Is that the built in nav, or Onstar directions? Built in nav doesn't need an Onstar subscription.
Built in navigation. Yah earlier I mentioned the on star portion did not work without paying.

·
Super Moderator
3,737 Posts

Gotcha. I don't have mylink so I don't think there is anyway to type anything in. Except for using the myChevrolet app.

·
Premium Member
3,152 Posts
Gotcha. I don't have mylink so I don't think there is anyway to type anything in. Except for using the myChevrolet app.
Ohh yah I have my link in dash GPS.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts