Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Onstar is a satellite service. GPS uses satellites.

Att is the cell service.

According to Google.

The middle of nowhere is meaningless to the satellite.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
Onstar is a satellite service. GPS uses satellites.

Att is the cell service.

According to Google.

The middle of nowhere is meaningless to the satellite.
The GPS is a separate system which just provides position. Nothing else.

It doesn't receive any data. Not that it would matter because the car just doesn't have a powerful enough transmit antenna to reach space. But the car obviously can receive the gps signals.

Everything else is all cellular. Crash response. Remote start. Your phone calls. The marketplace store.

Even the location in the app requires cellular services. The vehicle must get its location from GPS. And then it must send that update to the OnStar services which it does through a cell tower. Not different at all from when you visit "google.com" on your smartphone. In fact, its the exact same system. Exactly.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
The GPS is a separate system which just provides position. Nothing else.

It doesn't receive any data. Not that it would matter because the car just doesn't have a powerful enough transmit antenna to reach space. But the car obviously can receive the gps signals.

Everything else is all cellular. Crash response. Remote start. Your phone calls. The marketplace store.

Even the location in the app requires cellular services. The vehicle must get its location from GPS. And then it must send that update to the OnStar services which it does through a cell tower. Not different at all from when you visit "google.com" on your smartphone. In fact, its the exact same system. Exactly.
Onstar started long before cars had cell chips.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
35$ a month is insane. I’d do the service for 5 a month maybe maybe 10
Only good is free tow truck and jump start.

Buuuut most comprehensive coverage insurances provide this already. And if you are paying for Onstar but not comprehensive coverage…. Dont.

·
Premium Member
3,152 Posts
Only good is free tow truck and jump start.

Buuuut most comprehensive coverage insurances provide this already. And if you are paying for Onstar but not comprehensive coverage…. Dont.
I like the push on star and tell them. Put GPS coordinates to X restaurant and they do it happily. Besides that ehh the app is cool for remote start as I’m walking down the building.

I have triple A platinum so tow and jump I’m covered

·
Super Moderator
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
3,757 Posts
Too bad Onstar isn't like SiriusXM radio. It's pretty easy to negotiate SiriusXM down to a much more reasonable rate.
You can negotiate with Onstar. But you have to pay annually. I pay $200 per year. That's about $16/ month. Even though that's not as good as SiriusXM's $126 per year for their platinum plan.

·
Premium Member
3,152 Posts
You can negotiate with Onstar. But you have to pay annually. I pay $200 per year. That's about $16/ month. Even though that's not as good as SiriusXM's $126 per year for their platinum plan.
I wish I could rip the XM module out of my touch screen. Hate their crap.

Reactions: Snipesy

·
Super Moderator
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
3,757 Posts
I wish I could rip the XM module out of my touch screen. Hate their crap.
:LOL:

I've been listening to nothing but SiriusXM since 2008. I can always find something I like out of the 200 channels.

·
Premium Member
3,152 Posts
:LOL:

I've been listening to nothing but SiriusXM since 2008. I can always find something I like out of the 200 channels.
Bluegrass junction replays the same song weekly, it’s as bad as pandora lol. Plus it’s another stupid input to skip when trying to get to Bluetooth or mp3

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,691 Posts
Gen 1 has android auto?
God I wish we did. I'm still on the hunt for "the perfect head unit" for the '14, which maintains the CD player, the in-console USB and AUX plugs, but has Android Auto and looks factory.

My Cobalt has wireless Android Auto, which I used yesterday for the first time, and that's even nicer than just "regular" wired Android Auto in my Volt (or in my Cobalt with my personal phone).

·
Premium Member
3,152 Posts
God I wish we did. I'm still on the hunt for "the perfect head unit" for the '14, which maintains the CD player, the in-console USB and AUX plugs, but has Android Auto and looks factory.

My Cobalt has wireless Android Auto, which I used yesterday for the first time, and that's even nicer than just "regular" wired Android Auto in my Volt (or in my Cobalt with my personal phone).
It was a huge disappointment that gen 1 especially later years with the refresh didn’t get android and apple car. I like the GPS built into the cluster and how stock it looks, but I hate the clunky GM programming.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,691 Posts
It was a huge disappointment that gen 1 especially later years with the refresh didn’t get android and apple car. I like the GPS built into the cluster and how stock it looks, but I hate the clunky GM programming.
Well, it didn't come into play until MyLink 2.0, which would not have fit into the Gen 1 cars, as it's a different unit. I don't think that new gen came into GM cars until 2016.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts