Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have the mylink/pioneer upgraded audio setup in my 2014 and I want to upgrade the entire system. I'm torn between keeping the stock head unit and adding a DSP (helix, mosconi. audison, etc) OR eliminate the mylink and go with an aftermarket head unit (most likely my pioneer p99rs). While I'm not new to car audio I've never had a stock radio so integrated into a vehicle before. If I go aftermarket how does the loss of mylink affect certain functions and which ones do I lose? What are my best options? Are there any plug and play harnesses available? If anyone has any input I would greatly appreciate it, thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
You'll likely lose the ability to get into the menu to customize the car, or see what the settings are on the A/C. As such, you might be happier adding the DSP, amps, etc and leaving the head unit in place.

If you plan on reselling the car at some point, I suspect an aftermarket head unit will lower the sale price.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have the GMOS-044 & axxess ASWC 1 which retains the stock radio display with an aftermarket headunit. I have mine installed and love it. If you want pictures, let me know. It is a bit of a challenge to wire this all up correctly but it definitely can be done. Took me a while but i love it. If you do sell the car, simply unplug the harness, and plug the stock radio back in and youll be up and running. You dont have to splice into any stock wires, which is my favorite feature!

Ben

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,265 Posts
This works for the touch-screen display?
Your answer might be here Chevyguy .
Parts for Car Stereo Installers - Wires, Tools, Harnesses, Dash Kits, Bluetooth, Do it Yourself

Interesting idea though and given the wiring diagrams and Schematics that goes with the wiring harness along with a program this just might be doable .
I had many viable solutions while doing that lengthy install of mine and came to realize that all that was really needed was power supply + constant and Switchable + and - for the aftermarket HU ,Speed and Reverse wiring ,and enough space to install the aftermarket HU ...

I just was not going to cut out the additional space for an install that included cutting the plastic HVAC ducts and that metal structure surrounding them ...
The interesting and tough cookie is the BCM .....crack that and your in ........

·
Registered
40 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
anyone have input on the JL DSP?? CL441dsp - Car Audio - OEM Interface - OEM Integration - JL Audio

I installed a JL 10" sub and on the stock deck the sub is actually louder and more cripse at mid volume compared to full volume.
You should tune your amplifier then at the proper volume. The way i do it is to turn the gains all the way down on the amp, turn your radio up to 75-80% full volume. Tune the sub until it sounds right to you without any clipping.

Ben

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you have a MyLink radio, I would integrate into that with a line out converter and such, unless you desperately need infotainment features the MyLink system doesn't provide. Having done the same retrofit that Livingfortheice did (exactly the same actually), I would say it's worth it for non-MyLink systems that offer almost zero features, and are difficult to operate with analog buttons, but it's quite an undertaking to do it, plus you're bound to find a quirk or two with how it ends up working.

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
7,936 Posts
If you have a MyLink radio, I would integrate into that with a line out converter and such, unless you desperately need infotainment features the MyLink system doesn't provide. Having done the same retrofit that Livingfortheice did (exactly the same actually), I would say it's worth it for non-MyLink systems that offer almost zero features, and are difficult to operate with analog buttons, but it's quite an undertaking to do it, plus you're bound to find a quirk or two with how it ends up working.
He probably won't answer, hasn't been online since 11/11/16.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hey guys! @rohan26may, really sorry i never got back to you man. I finished college in May and I am now an Emergency Room Registered Nurse! Life is insane so i havent been able to do much besides work lately hahahaha. But i have my GMOS and ASWC tucked away behind the dash and it is a real pain in the ars to get it out. I would recommend you get it though because retaining the factory sounds/onstar/mylink will be worth it in the long run IMO. Its better to have more options than not enough and you can customize it from there. Again, really sorry i didnt get around to this sooner. Hope all is well!

Ben

·
Super Moderator
7,936 Posts
@Livingfortheice I am contemplating to go for GMOS-044 & axxess ASWC 1 OR PAC RP-GM41. Can you please share pictures of your setup?
I need to understand if it is worth retaining MyLink and what would be useful for.
Read these two threads before you jump: [h=1]The SQ Car Audio Thread V2[/h]
Updated Quick and Dirty Mylink Upgrade DIY for Gen 1 Cruzes

Hey guys! @rohan26may, really sorry i never got back to you man. I finished college in May and I am now an Emergency Room Registered Nurse! Life is insane so i havent been able to do much besides work lately hahahaha. But i have my GMOS and ASWC tucked away behind the dash and it is a real pain in the ars to get it out. I would recommend you get it though because retaining the factory sounds/onstar/mylink will be worth it in the long run IMO. Its better to have more options than not enough and you can customize it from there. Again, really sorry i didnt get around to this sooner. Hope all is well!

Ben

Welcome Back!:welcome:

·
Registered
2014 Chevy Cruze Turbo Diesel “49000 miles”
52 Posts
I have the GMOS-044 & axxess ASWC 1 which retains the stock radio display with an aftermarket headunit. I have mine installed and love it. If you want pictures, let me know. It is a bit of a challenge to wire this all up correctly but it definitely can be done. Took me a while but i love it. If you do sell the car, simply unplug the harness, and plug the stock radio back in and youll be up and running. You dont have to splice into any stock wires, which is my favorite feature!

Ben
So your saying you have the whole my link interface and it works with an aftermarket head unit? That would be epic not to mention the features that could be added in. I definitely want some pictures, care to PM me?

·
Super Moderator
7,936 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts