Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Cruze LTZ RS with the Chevy MyLink system (I'll call it "radio" from here on out).
My radio has been acting very weird over the last few weeks. Most of these behaviors are worst right after a cold start and can last anywhere from 30 seconds to 10 minutes. Oddly, they seem worst in colder temperatures, although this may just be coincidence.

The behaviors I've observed include:
1) Rear camera will go on when reverse is selected and stay on for 30 seconds to several minutes after drive is selected.
2) Volume and other controls are completely inoperable. Pushing buttons on the touchscreen, console, and steering wheel have no effect.
3) Volume and other controls are massively delayed. As an example, turning the volume up, getting no response, turning it up again, getting no response. Minutes later, seemingly all the inputs respond at once (max volume!).
4) Only once or twice, my radio seemed frozen on the "mylink screen" and appeared to over time add back functionality. I'd get the clock, then I'd get the radio screen, then finally the controls would work again. In total this took several minutes.

Essentially, the sum of the symptoms seems to indicate that the radio software is bogging down/freezing on cold startup for some reason. I don't know if this is caused by bad hardware (likely if the temperature truly is impacting performance) or software. This only recently started and did not happen last winter.

Anybody have any similar experiences, know of any hardware/software recalls that would impact my vehicle, or have any suggestions for a fix?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Do you have anything plugged into the OBDII port? Maybe one of those car insurance dongles?

I agree it sounds like the computer has gotten bogged down. But I've also seen a satellite receiver behave like that when the hardware goes bad.

I'd suggest using your phone to video what happens so you can show your dealer. (Cuz you know it won't do that by the time you get it in to them.)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have a bluetooth ODBDII dongle plugged in. I'll try removing that to see if there's a difference.

Good suggestion on the video, that would definitely help to explain/justify my complaints.

That solves one dealer issue, but I also worry the dealer will go straight to software. I know it could be coincidence, but the issue's relationship to cold seems to me like contracting circuits/capacitors/technology&stuff somewhere are performing worse and need to be replaced. I don't want to spend lots of time at a dealership getting this "fixed" several times.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I'd hope that with the video for evidence, the dealer might try software just once before starting to replace hardware.

Intermittent problems are the worst kind for both owner and repair people. For the owner it's not fixed until it never comes back, and the repair folks don't have all day to duplicate the issue.

Remember the golden rule: he who has the gold makes the rules. In this case, it's GM. The dealer's concern is getting paid. So anything you can do to help the dealer to convince GM to replace the radio is to your benefit. You might want to discuss that with the dealer when you take it is.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also have issues with my "my link" radio. Shuts off on its own and freezes. The dealer has looked at it a few time for me and it will go problem free for about 6 months act up once or twice then it's fine again for awhile. I have a 2014 CTD. My sister also has a 14 CTD and has the same problems with the My link.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.