Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found several threads about a blank mylink, but none of them seem the same as my problem.

My 3rd time driving the car since I bought it (~70 miles so far), I backed out of a parking space then starting moving forward. The backup camera was still on as I was moving forward about 15mph. When I slowed down and put my blinker on, the screen went black except for still saying the "Please check your surroundings" message on the bottom. The radio still playing music, and I could change the source but there was no display except for the message at the bottom.

When I got home, I tried putting it back in reverse then switching to drive... It ended up going back to the regular Mylink screen. Is this a normal occurrence to deal with?

It's a 2015 CTD Cruze.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Sounds like gear select encoder-sensor might have hung up mechanically, if it's a new car with 70 miles could be something not assembled quite correctly, and sure don't sound normal to me

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
I know on mine the rear view continues for a few seconds after shifting out of reverse. From what you describe, I think the radio didn't get the signal that the car had shifted. The screen went blank because the camera got the message, so the BCM isn't confused. I think the signal for the radio comes over the bus. Do you have anything plugged into the ODBII diagnostic port? Like one of those things to get a discount on insurance? It may be jamming the bus signals.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies,

Sounds like gear select encoder-sensor might have hung up mechanically, if it's a new car with 70 miles could be something not assembled quite correctly, and sure don't sound normal to me
This is what it seemed like, because as soon as I went in reverse and then back in drive it fixed itself.

I know on mine the rear view continues for a few seconds after shifting out of reverse. From what you describe, I think the radio didn't get the signal that the car had shifted. The screen went blank because the camera got the message, so the BCM isn't confused. I think the signal for the radio comes over the bus. Do you have anything plugged into the ODBII diagnostic port? Like one of those things to get a discount on insurance? It may be jamming the bus signals.
No, I didn't have anything plugged in, or anything plugged in to Mylink. I do agree, it always stays on for a few seconds when I shift out of reverse. But this time it displayed for much longer while in drive (maybe 20 seconds before the screen went blank)

I have to go back to the dealer next week, because I took delivery of the car with paint chips and scratches already in the paint. They had switched my plates and I didn't really have a choice in the matter. But they did say they'll all "buff out". Should I mention the problem to them while I'm there? Or wait to see if it happens again?

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
This is what it seemed like, because as soon as I went in reverse and then back in drive it fixed itself.
The camera is controlled by a line from the BCM. The fact the screen blanked out tells me the BCM commanded the camera off, so it's not confused. However, the radio seems to have to listen to the bus to get the message that something happened. I think it missed the message. Shifting again repeated the message - this time it got it.

Should I mention the problem to them while I'm there? Or wait to see if it happens again?
Since you'll be there anyway, it might be worth mentioning. Maybe there's an update to fix the problem. You've also got plenty of time on the B2B, so I wouldn't worry about it too much at this point. But I would keep a log. Ultimately it's GM that has to be convinced there's a problem - otherwise the dealer doesn't get paid for the work or the parts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts