Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

61 - 80 of 516 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
by luck there is a GM Tech II equipped repair shop close to me that I found an ad for on Craigslist advertising ECM/BCM reprogramming.
I'm not sure as the Tech II will work on the Cruze. It's a newer generation of car. An MDI might be required.

At least that's what this page suggests.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
@RyanAlan00 .. Thank you for letting us know how you got it to work. There have been a lot of threads regarding upgrading to the MyLink radio, but people either will get stuck, or just stop updating / letting us know how it can be done. Many have tried, very few have succeeded. Glad to hear you got it to work. Could I interest you in creating a DIY thread!?!? :go:

·
Registered
509 Posts
For anyone that would prefer to change their vin on their own. I located the eeprom that contains the VIN information today. They went to a lot of trouble to hide it, putting it on the underside of the bottom PCB. Just re-flashed mine about 15-20 minutes ago. Still need to get a harness to hook it all up and enjoy the system.

IMG_0012.JPG

The tricky part is the two pins on the right side by the tiny resistor (R606). The lower one of the 2 (pin 7) is a write protection pin. A simple desolder of 7 will release the protection and allow the change.

A big thanks to Digital-Kaos for providing the information on the IC and confirming I did indeed have the right one.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Where did you find the data sheets? I can find the manufacturer, but can't locate that part.

Edit: never mind. I found it. It helps if I read it as a "G" and not a "6".

The full part number is IS24C128-3GLA3. I'd much rather remove the resistor. Because it looks like it would be a pain to find a replacement chip if you should damage it.

So what did you end up using to program it?

·
Registered
509 Posts
I bought a cheap CH341A reader and test clip off eBay and used the default software for it. There are a bunch of different software revisions out there, but I used this one.

The software displays an icon to show where the chip should be located but it is wrong. Pin 1 goes in the bottom right, but you need to put the chip / clip adapter in the top four holes on the reader's ZIF socket, not the bottom four.

I personally think that finding and installing a replacement chip would be a lot easier than installing a replacement resistor that tiny.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I'm not selling the harness or anything- I did the upgrade and am telling others how easy it is to do, the ONLY setback is the price of everything, $739 seems like a lot, but well worth it. The harness I included the invoice for has the connections for a rear backup camera. So everything works. It seriously takes 10 minutes to take it all apart, 10 minutes to wire everything up, and 10 to put it back together. (maybe 15, depending on how fast you work.
Ryan, you seem to have received a different harness than the one I ordered.

IMG_0016.jpg

·
Registered
23 Posts
GM Navigation where I purchased the harness also does the programming and ViN clearing much cheaper than White Auto, and also have these radios in stock, already harnessed and programmed making them "turnkey" just figured you all should know that, and that can save you money in the long run.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
For anyone that would prefer to change their vin on their own. I located the eeprom that contains the VIN information today. They went to a lot of trouble to hide it, putting it on the underside of the bottom PCB. Just re-flashed mine about 15-20 minutes ago. Still need to get a harness to hook it all up and enjoy the system.

View attachment 211730

The tricky part is the two pins on the right side by the tiny resistor (R606). The lower one of the 2 (pin 7) is a write protection pin. A simple desolder of 7 will release the protection and allow the change.

A big thanks to Digital-Kaos for providing the information on the IC and confirming I did indeed have the right one.
Could you just remove the chip from the old radio and put it on the new radio? Is there other information on this chip, or is it just the VIN number? BTW, Your link to the default software is dead.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Could you just remove the chip from the old radio and put it on the new radio? Is there other information on this chip, or is it just the VIN number?
It's 128K EEPROM. I'm pretty sure it contains the software as well as the VIN. So you could probably swap chips if you're replacing a defective radio with the same model. I'd be less optimistic if you're swapping for another model.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
It's 128K EEPROM. I'm pretty sure it contains the software as well as the VIN. So you could probably swap chips if you're replacing a defective radio with the same model. I'd be less optimistic if you're swapping for another model.
Good point, they probably would have used a smaller chip if it only had the VIN. In that case, you probably need to re-flash the whole program and you would need to be careful or you could brick the radio. Is the VIN stored in plain text?

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Is the VIN stored in plain text?
According to this post and StLouisCPhT, yes.

The main reason I think it's stored in that chip is that we know the dealer can update the software. And it's not by changing parts. So the programming has to be stored in some kind of EEPROM. I can't see the manufacturer installing two EEPROMs.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
The MyLink upgrade is intriguing, especially if I could do the wiring and unlock the radio myself. In that case, it could probably be done for under $200 - at least until the demand for used MyLink systems goes up. I did a little research today, but I see a few problems that I haven't figured out yet.

First, nobody on ebay is selling the complete MyLink system - only individual components - and nobody is selling the cables. I noticed that the color MyLink screen has 2 cables, but the monochrome screen only has one cable, and I don't know if that one cable can be used for the upgrade. I also don't know if you can reuse the cable for the front panel. Maybe Ryan or someone else can confirm if this is the case. If not, then you would need to find or build the correct cables.

Second, I did some research and it looks like the Pioneer system uses the exact same head unit as the standard system. I found a couple images online of head units that say they came from a car with the Pioneer system. It looks like they are the same Panasonic head units with the same markings as the standard system. The service manual shows that the same pins are used for the speaker outputs on the standard system and low-level outputs on the Pioneer system. The only thing I can figure is that it is somehow programmed in the radio. If this is true, then simply changing the VIN using a chip programmer may not always work. You might need to pay someone to reprogram it, if possible.

·
Registered
509 Posts
For the software, just search for CH341A software. I think I got lucky with that google drive copy.

As for the parts, there have been complete sets on eBay in the past and probably will be in the future.. it's a matter of timing. Well, not just timing but inspection of the listing. When I got my silver box & control panel, I completely missed the fact that they were being sold together until I clicked buy it. The listing title and description specifically only mentioned the box (and the box part number)... the clue was in the photos. Likewise, I did see a screen and control panel set recently, but missed out on that one. You could probably ask a seller like LKQ or AutoTraders if they could pull you a full set.

Based on what I've seen in the GM parts catalogs, the radio wiring harness is part of the main wiring harness assembly and I did not see any kind of disconnection point. To get it, you'd have to get the entire harness. That said, LKQ is known to cut and provide wiring harness with parts, you could probably ask for a length of the major connections as well as the complete blue display harness and USB adapter cable.

Gen5DIY is also working on a upgrade kit and hope to have one by the holidays. (Jarod didn't specify WHICH holidays though)

Your best chance for compatibility is to look at auctions that provide the host vehicle's vin so you can check what equipment was used. Of course, you'll get some interesting surprises that way also. For example, my box and panel came from a 2014 Cruze 1LT that was only 2 months old when it was wrecked in a front collusion.

The post about the different models, reminded me of something I noticed. The VIN is indeed in cleartext.... and the line under it states what brand it is also in cleartext. In my case it said Panasonic.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The MyLink upgrade is intriguing, especially if I could do the wiring and unlock the radio myself. In that case, it could probably be done for under $200 - at least until the demand for used MyLink systems goes up. I did a little research today, but I see a few problems that I haven't figured out yet.

First, nobody on ebay is selling the complete MyLink system - only individual components - and nobody is selling the cables. I noticed that the color MyLink screen has 2 cables, but the monochrome screen only has one cable, and I don't know if that one cable can be used for the upgrade. I also don't know if you can reuse the cable for the front panel. Maybe Ryan or someone else can confirm if this is the case. If not, then you would need to find or build the correct cables.

Second, I did some research and it looks like the Pioneer system uses the exact same head unit as the standard system. I found a couple images online of head units that say they came from a car with the Pioneer system. It looks like they are the same Panasonic head units with the same markings as the standard system. The service manual shows that the same pins are used for the speaker outputs on the standard system and low-level outputs on the Pioneer system. The only thing I can figure is that it is somehow programmed in the radio. If this is true, then simply changing the VIN using a chip programmer may not always work. You might need to pay someone to reprogram it, if possible.
when I purchased mine, it was the silver box & controls & the display screen was separate. 20787112GM is the display cable, I purchased this on Amazon. The one cable can be used WITH the supplied harness from GM Nav. I tried going to my junk yard to get the wires instead of the expensive harness. It simply required a lot of pulling apart and cutting of a lot of wires, something I didn't have time to do/ didn't really want to. the harness from GM Nav was literally a 5-10 minute job. They mark EVERY wire clearly with instructions. I have VERY little experience with vehicles, just getting started( This is only my second car!), and it was a breeze for me.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I noticed that the color MyLink screen has 2 cables, but the monochrome screen only has one cable, and I don't know if that one cable can be used for the upgrade. I also don't know if you can reuse the cable for the front panel.
Same connector, different pin-outs. So it's NOT plug and play.

Reactions: dhpnet

·
Registered
509 Posts
20787112GM is the display cable, I purchased this on Amazon.
That is not the correct part number for a display cable. It comes back as the heater control unit for 2007-2009 gm trucks/suvs.

You should not need to purchase additional cables. The recommended harness comes with all necessary cables per Anthony. The price and harness description on Ryan's invoice indicates that they were sold a harness for navigational Mylink systems (I06 is an external HMI based navigation module).

61 - 80 of 516 Posts