1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Do you know the exact date this update was released? Also, why aren't these map updates free?

They should include a lifetime Nav update fee in the MSRP or something and be done with it. $160 for a map update that'll be outdated before the spring gets here seems a little steep to me. Roads and POIs change way too much and ain't nobody got time for dat! I'll hold off on it for a bit but then again, I don't travel anywhere exciting, ha! Glad to see it's available though!

·
Super Moderator
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Until December 31, 2007, GM allowed you one free map update after you took delivery of your vehicle. After that date you were on your own. My Cadillac was delivered the first week of February 2008 so I was out of luck. Since then I've bought easily a $1,000 in map updates.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why they're no longer free.

My sense is that There's really no point in delaying your purchase. The maps just fall out of date while you wait so that when you do buy you're buying something that has already gone stale.

I've seen small sales once or twice a year. Usually $20 off or free shipping at Father's Day and Christmas.

In fact I find it odd that they waited so long to issue an update. My Cruze was built 2.5 years ago and only now has an update available. I check for updates every couple of days. This would have become available no sooner than Thursday or Friday.

With my cadillac the updates often included firmware changes to the nav system. I'm curious to see what will happen with the Cruze.

Reactions: Starks8

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
That my friends is why I have a Garmin, with lifetime maps. It has blue tooth, connects to my phone and gives directions over the car stereo if you want it to. Oh did I mention it costs less than two oem updates and I can put it in another car.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Not to take this thread in a different direction but it would be really nice if they would release one of these USB sticks to Cruze owners that would be for updating the Mylink infotainment system, which it greatly needs!

For example, more apps are needed, as well as, the ability to customize and rearrange more than just the first home page, the ability to use the steering wheel buttons to change the radio station (not favs) and toggle through and then select appropriate alert choices, the ability for the alerts (weather, text messages, etc) to timeout and not just stay up on the screen forcing you to take your hands off the steering wheel, etc. It would also be nice if those without the backup lines in their camera could get them.

·
Super Moderator
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That my friends is why I have a Garmin, with lifetime maps. It has blue tooth, connects to my phone and gives directions over the car stereo if you want it to. Oh did I mention it costs less than two oem updates and I can put it in another car.
Definitely the Garmin or TomTom are the value way to go.

I've used my brother's Garmin for the trip to Lordstown last year in my Impala SS. I did not like the small screen and wires dangling about. But it was way better than doing it acoustic with paper maps or triptych.

In 2010 I bought a Magellan with a 7" screen and used that for three years or so before giving it to my brother-in-law. Excellent screen size and good interface - but having it block part of the windshield, dangling wires and then hide it under the seat when you park - just made it no comparison to the factory unit.

Reactions: Christopher_2

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
I don't like the dangling power wire either that is definitely a con. Where do you attach the GPS to the windshield when put it in the car? I put mine low on the drivers side closer to the dash and A-Pillar.

I've used my brother's Garmin for the trip to Lordstown last year in my Impala SS. I did not like the small screen and wires dangling about. But it was way better than doing it acoustic with paper maps or triptych.

In 2010 I bought a Magellan with a 7" screen and used that for three years or so before giving it to my brother-in-law. Excellent screen size and good interface - but having it block part of the windshield, dangling wires and then hide it under the seat when you park - just made it no comparison to the factory unit.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Since then I've bought easily a $1,000 in map updates.
When I bought my cruze in 2012 I purchased a Garmin Nuvi 50LM and bean bag mount for $140 with lifetime map updates. I get 3 updates a year for free. Funny part? GM uses the same source for their maps as garmin does.

2011 cruze navigation was $1995, 2012 it dropped to $995 and in 2013 it dropped again to the current price of $495. As cheap as they have made it now it should just be standard on the LTZ and a $250 option on the 1LT, 2LT and ECO. If they could get more people to buy the nav unit the cost of map updates could be cut in half or more.

Problem now is 2016 brings Apple Carplay and android auto to the cruze, That means anyone with a smart phone would never need to buy factory navigation since they can now use their phone/apps though the touchscreen radio. Because of this change I have a feeling 4-5 years down the road we will see the factory navigation option go away.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts

I ran a wire to the upper small center dash compartment so I can see no wires in my car when mounted in that position. it does block the view of those last minute deer, so I recently bought a CD slot mount and plan to hide the wire in the dash and have just 2-3 inches sticking out to hook it up. I never removed mine from either location when parked.

Here is an image of where I had it mounted, I haven't took a photo of the CD slot mount yet. I used a Mountek Slot mount from Amazon, there is a photo of it installed in the cruze under the amazon user photos.

·
Super Moderator
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't like the dangling power wire either that is definitely a con. Where do you attach the GPS to the windshield when put it in the car? I put mine low on the drivers side closer to the dash and A-Pillar.
I've always mounted mine at the centre top of the dash. Similar to a factory nav. This way it allows my passenger to also read and input while I had two hands on the wheel.

·
Super Moderator
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If they could get more people to buy the nav unit the cost of map updates could be cut in half or more.

Problem now is 2016 brings Apple Carplay and android auto to the cruze, That means anyone with a smart phone would never need to buy factory navigation since they can now use their phone/apps though the touchscreen radio. Because of this change I have a feeling 4-5 years down the road we will see the factory navigation option go away.
My sense is that they're just soaking buyers with these outrageous update costs. I'm guessing the real cost is somewhere around $15 - so generating a higher demand for the updates may not necessarily lower the asking price.

As for the future, I think that there will always be a demand for an integrated solution. But smartphones have really shaken a lot of technology trees over the past decade so I think there is some substance to your future prediction.

·
Super Moderator
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well I received it today. P/N 23291911. But sadly it would not install as directed.

The screen repeatedly indicated that there was no update software on the USB key.

So after sometime on the telephone I've shipped it back to the supplier. A company named: Here.

They will not ship a replacement until receipt of the defective unit. So it will likely be a week before I can try this again.

FWIW the paperwork references the following which may be a software version number: 382A00041321.

·
Super Moderator
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the company that supplies the nav updates for GM, Here.com, received the defective USB back from me on Wednesday and as of today Friday, and after two telephone calls, they still haven't sent a replacement USB key.

So, so far they're getting a zero rating from me. But it can only go up from here. Pun intended.

·
Super Moderator
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They still haven't shipped me a replacement now after three telephone calls. This time I talked to a supervisor, Austin, he says that it should ship tomorrow - but I've heard that one twice before.

Again, Here.com, continues to score zero on delivering a simple nav update.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Wow, Google Maps on my cell phone updates all the time for free!

I'll stick with phone based navi for the foreseeable future. Even in my Tahoe with a very nice Kenwood Excelon aftermarket navigation system I do not buy the updates. I use it for speed verification and basic or GPS only info when we drive the Tahoe, but navigating to a new location will be done on one of our phones...

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
They still haven't shipped me a replacement now after three telephone calls. This time I talked to a supervisor, Austin, he says that it should ship tomorrow - but I've heard that one twice before.

Again, Here.com, continues to score zero on delivering a simple nav update.
SMH! Have you notified GM about it?

·
Super Moderator
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
SMH! Have you notified GM about it?
I'm giving them five working days from receipt of the returned defective item to make this right. If not by then I will escalate to GM.

This company is operating as a contractor to GM. But are impairing GM's reputation and customer relations. As a result, GM should be made aware.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
This company is operating as a contractor to GM. But are impairing GM's reputation and customer relations. As a result, GM should be made aware.
My thoughts exactly! Keep us updated.

On a side note: I wonder if this update would make it so that my nav would show the POI's off highway exits more consistently?! It seems like every once in a while the exit ramp POI's will display but most times they don't. I enjoy and look forward the random times when they do though, haha! What makes them show up sometimes and not others?!

Also over the last couple of days, I've had my nav not work for me. I'd put in my travel destination and the system would still think I was sitting in my parking space at home the whole time. It didn't register that I had already left and was driving. It's like it was frozen or something. I guessing it's a Mylink hardware/software issue and not a SirusXM Satellite issue?

·
Super Moderator
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Still nothing from them.

At the call centre run by Here.com, the contractor hired by GM, I've talked to D'Arcy a few times; William a few times; floor supervisor Chandler a few times; and, floor supervisor Austin is fast becoming my best friend because I talk to him more than anybody else in my life three days.

They are are all very nice but their company sucks. Big time. Because it does not deliver on the service that GM hired them for.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts