Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am new to the forum and a new cruze owner. I bought a 2013 2LT. I have the factory my link and was wondering what needs to be done to get the backup camera and navigation to go with it. Do i need to buy the oem module that comes with the features and if so what do they run price wise?

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
You might be able to have the backup camera added, but the Nav is going to take replacing a lot of modules and ridiculously expensive. And I'm hearing it's not all it's cracked up to be since you still have to pay for updates.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,297 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was looking at other threads and this is the conclusion i have come to as well thanks for the help

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Its not a radio, but a computer, and as such requires software to run, stored in what we call flashram memory and may need a flashram update or flashram firmware to even work correctly.

And is not a sole computer, it has to talk to other computers in your vehicle so must be compatible with it. When you need a flashram update or just a reload because your firmware is corrupted, have to go to your dealer. Kid types in the VIN of your vehicle to learn which firmware to download, but it won't be correct since you already changed your hardware.

So besides trying to find compatible hardware, also have to find compatible firmware as well. If trying to buy this stuff, have to check with your vendor if this new system will work/

Just saying not only having hardware issues to deal with, but software or firmware issues to deal with as well.

For a while, Garmin was selling a GPS unit with also a backup camera as well, but for whatever reason, do no supply this anymore, least last time I checked. But can buy a separate after market unit at all different kinds of price ranges, some with a cable, some with an RF connection, but still needs 12 volts back there. Then where do you mount the screen if you already have an aftermarket GPS installed.

Some GM vehicles have the screen mounted in the rear view mirror, may be an option if you can find one. Ha, just gave up.

Kid with a new Town and County has to fight with Chrysler just to get a backup camera, but not GPS, 200 bucks for a map update and already a year out of date. It also plays DVD's, but that doesn't work when driving. Who wants to sit outside in the cold and watch a DVD on that tiny screen? Swear this world is going nuts.

One thing for sure, they get us one way or the other, oh, and his GPS does not work while driving, has to pull over and put it in park before he can do anything with it. Copilot can't even work it.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
thank you seems to be more of a hassle than its worth.
Didn't use to be this way, but sure is now.

Do have two older vehicles one with a single DIN, other with a double DIN, can do anything I want to with these.

OE's came out with some weird thought that somebody would want to swipe your OE radio then started adding all kinds of anti-thief crap to it, when in fact, nobody wanted these pieces of crap. So when you tried to pitch the darn things and can't even give them away, when you removed them, your vehicle wouldn't work or parts of it would not.

I did find a website, can't recall the name for my son to buy GPS for factory radios directly, was more like 60 bucks rather than 200 bucks, same stuff your dealer buys from, they sure don't write map updates. But was listed by radio model number, where to you find this? Ha, just told my son to call them on their 800 number with what he does know, year, make, model, trim. But gather he hasn't done this yet.

It was the same thing with a digital dash that didn't work. Plenty of places that repair these thing for less than a hundred bucks, but go to your dealer, they will send it out to one of these places and charge you 400 bucks, and this is providing you remove the panel yourself.

Ha, called one of these places, what do you do if that coded microcontroller is bad, guy hee-hawed around, they can't repair these either, but may have another one laying around that does work. Major problem is poor soldering, been able to repair quite of few of these myself. Same with BCM's and ECU's, some are 1,300 bucks, just because of a cold soldering joint.

Not even sure how people can afford to drive any vehicle the way they are made today.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts