Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Navigation cheat?

2986 Views 9 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  NickD
Hey guys I have a 2013 ltz with the factory head unit with navigation with the display screen. My question is that I cant enter destinations while driving and I realize this is for safety, but I'm looking to see if I can cut a wire or somehow trick the system to think i'm sitting still when I'm not so my wife or passenger can still change the nav settings while moving as it a real pain to pull over going down the highway to make nav changes.
Thanks for any and all help guys!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Premium Member
3,857 Posts
I'm guessing that the nav. unit knows the car is in motion based on GPS signals coming in via the antenna. At least that's how mine works. I know this as the Nav. unit will calculate slightly different MPG results from what the iMID (DIC on the Cruze) displays. If this is so, you'd have to switch off the antenna lead and that could mess up other functions and/or the destination function too. However, the nav. unit may also get odometer signals from the ECU and that could complicate things for you.

· Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know some aftermarket units work off the e brake that's not the case here but I was thinking it was off the vehicle speed sensor I'm hoping it's not off the gps doesn't anyone know for sure or is there a wiring diagram maybe?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Banned
9,198 Posts
I'm guessing that the nav. unit knows the car is in motion based on GPS signals coming in via the antenna. At least that's how mine works. If so, you'd have to switch off the antenna lead and that could mess up other functions and/or the destination function too.
Hmmm, good question, could your wife do that while you drive? Or should you stop first? Son's Chrysler is the same way, won't even let me find points of interest sitting in the passenger seat looking for a place to eat to keep my grandkids in the back seat quiet.

This was his first objection to installed navigation, second was around 200 bucks for a map update. While he did lay out 200 bucks for one map update, his update was already 18 months old. Was with his experience I check this out with the Cruze before buying one, dealer was no help, wife wanted in dash installation. In 2012 was a 2,000 buck option, see they dropped that down to a mere thousand. But still a complete ripoff.

So is why I went to this:

View attachment 51489

Is a five inch, this last Black Friday, found a TomTom 6" for 1605MT with lifetime maps and traffic for half price, but after some careful measurements, won't fit so saved 120 bucks. Also has free lifetime maps and traffic updates. So far with my Garmin got 23 free map updates, also got that for half price on a Black Friday two years ago.

And it works while driving, not recommended however, unless you are a trained pilot. Ha, in these, not only left or right when making a ILS approach, but have to tune two ILS guide slope radios and your ADF, and be concerned about altitude in particular, while you are constantly checking other instruments, prop pitch adjustment, mixture, tach speed, exhaust gas temperature, landing gear, and while constantly talking to the control tower. And watching for other aircraft as well.

Should also be a part of our drivers test.

10,589 Posts
That sucks. Other GM cars like the Escalade gives you the option to disable the limit features while driving option in touch screen/nav configuration screen. My aftermarket head unit was a ground with e brake so I got a switch to send it to ground.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

· Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That sucks. Other GM cars like the Escalade gives you the option to disable the limit features while driving option in touch screen/nav configuration screen. My aftermarket head unit was a ground with e brake so I got a switch to send it to ground.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
This is what I'm looking for but I don't know what it works off for the signal

· Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Just curious. Does the Cruze have to be in Park or Neutral to use the destination functions? Can you do it with the car in Drive, but not moving, i.e. foot on the brake?

· Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just curious. Does the Cruze have to be in Park or Neutral to use the destination functions? Can you do it with the car in Drive, but not moving, i.e. foot on the brake?
As long as I'm under 2 mph I'm ok doesn't matter gear, other that reverse because of the camera of course but other then that doesn't matter

· Banned
185 Posts
Ya its lame, It OK to mess with your radio or put in a destination on a POI while your driving, but not enter a physical address...Retarded... Its just a way to make you subscribe to onstar Joke

· Banned
9,198 Posts
Looked at the circuit diagram for the European navigational radio. No such Vss signal going into it that seems to be the only signal they could use to disable navigational control. That leads to a question, do the Europeans have this disabling feature?

Even my Garmin is next to worthless for finding anything when I bring it into my home, loses satellite signals. But can sit at my computer and update the maps and program in all my favorites. For whatever reason, works fine in my attached garage and works beautiful in tree lined roads in Wisconsin.

More than I can say for XM radio or OnStar, doesn't work at all on these same tree lined roads. Cell phone also works. So much for a OnStar conspiracy theory.

Son laid out 2,000 bucks for navigation in his Chrysler with the same problem. Said it was so much better than my Garmin, but could find a place to eat when I was riding with him. Was in my shirt pocket. So his solution was to buy a Garmin with free map updates. That POS he laid out 2,000 bucks for is just gathering dust.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.