Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have all heard stories where navigation systems have routed people into lakes and such, but what are some humorous stories?

Here's mine:

While driving up I-90 I approached a construction zone where the eastbound lanes were closed. Naturally we were routed onto the westbound lanes which were separated by about 100 yards of median. The shift to the lanes occurred as we went under a bridge so Google Navigator got confused and thought I had gotten off I-90, driven across the bridge, and then gotten onto I-90 going the wrong way. For every half mile or so for the next 10 miles Google Navigator was telling me to turn around.

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts
Ober - have you started your road trip east?

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ober - have you started your road trip east?
Not yet. I do have a new route that will take me nearly 4,600 miles though. I'll drive from Denver to New Hampshire and then to Troy without touching a toll road (possibly a toll bridge on I-84). I'm bypassing the Kansas Turnpike and the Mass Pike by taking side roads for both. There is a short stretch of the PA turnpike that I'll bypass as well.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Had a Loran C in my car intended for aircraft, could plug in the coordinates for a town, showed me what heading I should take and the distance. That heading and distance was constantly changing, but got me there. Had to stay on the roads, certainly couldn't drive through a farmers field fenced in.

Just proved the shortest distance between two points is not a road.

Tried my google maps in my smart phone in an airliner, zero was the result. But also had my Garmin Nuvi 52 in my pocket and just clicked on map view. Was cool showing a speed in statue miles at 540 mph. My icon was the closest I could find that looked like my Cruze. Was flying from Toronto to Milwaukee right across Lake Michigan.

But if I keyed in Milwaukee, then it got all confused telling me to turn left and right, can only find road routes. But did show on the map where I was and how fast we were moving.

Garmin also makes GPS for aircraft, but suddenly the pricetag is around 10,000 bucks.

Can also use my Garmin in my boat, key in the location I am at before taking off, and will get me back. But I wish they had the direction in degrees, not that N, NE, etc. stuff. Just ignore that road stuff.

·
Registered
274 Posts
A couple years back I was driving on the upper level of the Geo Washington Bridge in NYC and my nav kept telling me to turn right. Then my screen showed my car spinning around in the river like I was being flushed down a toilet.

I was leaving NYC so I though any potential of being in a toilet was behind me!

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,998 Posts
Navigation Humor & Snafus

My phone GPS has gotten to the point where it's often several miles off from where I actually am.

I knew this going into a trip back home and taking back roads instead of I95, which I have mainly done southbound. At a point I forgot which state highway went where (Lynchburg vs Charlottesville) and tried to turn on the phone navigation, which had me driving through the middle of a giant reservoir.

In frustration, I banged it on the steering wheel and the point snapped back to the road and worked fine the rest of the trip, and this method continues to work when it's acting up :).

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts
Back in the day we used to do that to the tv. Although it was full of vacuum tubes - not transistors.

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
574 Posts
there is a spot in downtown east boston going in the tunnel 4 way split if you listen to gps you can go in circles on the highway. All the tall building are not helping the gps signal either

·
16,998 Posts
Back in the day we used to do that to the tv. Although it was full of vacuum tubes - not transistors.
Ha, they really knew how to build em back then. EPA was created and outlawed those Mercury tubes, so now we're stuck with these 4K tvs where you can see spit fly out of Donald's mouth every time he mentions China. When a tube went out, just pop in a new tube, today throw away the whole TV. But back when they still put lead in gas, could buy a hot dog for 2 pennies.

·
Super Moderator
5,102 Posts
My funny is how Google maps pronounces some of the roads in Cincinnati. We have this road in Cinti called Reading Rd. This road is pronounced Redding by people in the city. Of course you know how google pronounces: "Reeding" So I am driving down Rt 42 in Cinti and it comes up to where it merges with Reading Rd . So Google says stay in the right two lanes to continue onto "Reeding" Rd. Of course I know it means Redding Rd. Then using Waze tonight driving up I-75 Waze is trying to tell me there is an obstruction in the hwy , The Obstruction is a pothole. Which I never saw.

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My funny is how Google maps pronounces some of the roads in Cincinnati. We have this road in Cinti called Reading Rd. This road is pronounced Redding by people in the city. Of course you know how google pronounces: "Reeding" So I am driving down Rt 42 in Cinti and it comes up to where it merges with Reading Rd . So Google says stay in the right two lanes to continue onto "Reeding" Rd. Of course I know it means Redding Rd. Then using Waze tonight driving up I-75 Waze is trying to tell me there is an obstruction in the hwy , The Obstruction is a pothole. Which I never saw.
We have a road named Yosemite (as in the national park). Older versions of Google navigator pronounced it yeyesimite.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
My Garmin would not let me program in our destinations in Italy here, got on the net, others were having the same problem. But using google maps on my computer, got the coordinates at the airport and of our apartment, this I could put in and named those accordingly.

After waiting in long lines for security, and being jammed in an airplane seat designed for a two year old, wasn't in the best shape after some odd 24 hours, While Hertz gave us a map of Italy with all kinds of strange road identifiers, Italy lacked showing any of these road signs in their county. But our Garmin did get us to our apartment with those coordinates from google maps,

After we got there, used google maps on our laptop to pick out the places we wanted to see, and while there, could find the names of the cities and the street addresses and program them in, even the address of our apartment. Don't know why this is, but apparently need to be within GPS range to do so.

That country sure went crazy with round abouts, most were just a normal intersection, not too bad, but some had up to eight exits, was good to go around twice to hit the right one. Roads that went through their towns, zigzag all over the place, again no route signs, buildings were built right next to the streets barely wide enough for two cars to get through, no sidewalks, so had to watch out for pedestrians. Ha, don't want to go there and kill somebody.

Most gas stations were unattended, and not like here where you stick in a credit card, but did have one in the city we were in, made darn sure we had a full tank before leaving, Daughter-in-law was with us, she spoke Italian and couldn't understand these stations either. And you don't find any restrooms, don't Italians have to go? But could always find one at MacDonald's, others wanted two euros to use theirs.

Ha, was a nice place to visit, but not sure if I want to live there. Without google maps and a GPS, would be dead.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
My GPS pronounces a street name wrong in my neighborhood, it's so funny because it's not a hard word. It's Richland Street. GPS says "rIGHchland strEEEEt" .....any other time it can pronounce "street" correctly, I think its mispronunciation of Richland messes up the street part haha.

·
Super Moderator
5,102 Posts
I could give stories about Vietnamese pronunciation/actual vs phonetic but they are too numerous so I will leave it at that. That is another thread so.... It is amazing how I can talk to my family. Surely not in Vietnamese, they understand English(thank goodness)

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Have the voice on my GPS turned off, but for ten bucks, can get directions from this guy.

Dell Axim drove me nuts for every intersection, the voice would come on stating that intersection, and to go straight ahead. And needed that voice, screen on that thing was so small, needed a microscope to read it. That was the first one, second one was Microsoft Streets and Maps, took a have a day to program in where you wanted to go and forget about points of interest. Used a 120 VAC inverter to power a laptop.

A lot really has changed in just the last ten years, Garmin post a photo of a complex intersection a mile before you get there, showing exactly what lane you should be in.

Had to make sure it was set for the fastest times, shortest distances can lead you to a street with a zillion traffic lights on it.

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Google defaults to fastest time. For my trip in May I'm turning on "Avoid Tolls" until I get to New Hampshire.

·
16,998 Posts
Google defaults to fastest time. For my trip in May I'm turning on "Avoid Tolls" until I get to New Hampshire.
I had that option set on my trip to Niagara Falls last year. We were in Letchworth State Park; Niagara was supposed to be an hour or hour and a half away.

We were out of phone service, so I set the address for the hotel in Canada (eh?), and waited for the GPS, which was taking a REALLY long time to calculate. As we were leaving, I saw a sign for Buffalo, but the GPS sent us in the opposite direction with an arrival time of 2:45 or so.

10 miles into its route, we realized that was 2:45 THE NEXT DAY to avoid that toll on the border. So we retraced the exact route we'd taken and took the toll road :)

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had that option set on my trip to Niagara Falls last year. We were in Letchworth State Park; Niagara was supposed to be an hour or hour and a half away.

We were out of phone service, so I set the address for the hotel in Canada (eh?), and waited for the GPS, which was taking a REALLY long time to calculate. As we were leaving, I saw a sign for Buffalo, but the GPS sent us in the opposite direction with an arrival time of 2:45 or so.

10 miles into its route, we realized that was 2:45 THE NEXT DAY to avoid that toll on the border. So we retraced the exact route we'd taken and took the toll road :)
This is why I tend to plan my trips on my computers to verify what the options will do. In my case "avoid tolls" will cost me about 15 minutes on the first day and 20-30 on the third day. There are no tolls on the second day. The fourth day is a "wash" as the toll road is significantly longer than the state highway.

·
16,998 Posts
This is why I tend to plan my trips on my computers to verify what the options will do. In my case "avoid tolls" will cost me about 15 minutes on the first day and 20-30 on the third day. There are no tolls on the second day. The fourth day is a "wash" as the toll road is significantly longer than the state highway.
I'd planned it, just wasn't counting on not having cell service there.

It had been years since I actually used the old GPS unit (actually since before I got the Cruze). I used to set it to avoid tolls because it tried to take me on the Dulles Toll Road every time I went out to visit my friend near the airport.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Speaking of funny gps, when i use my cruzes unit when it wants you to turn around it sounds like she says, make an illegal u turn vs make a legal u turn.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts