Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I have a 2012 Cruze 1.8 Auto. I'm right around 87k and I just had new tires put on, the battery cables warrantied, and also the TCM/U replaced. (It was defaulting to 5th gear and reverse only). New oil/filter etc, etc.

As I get close to 100k. I've been thinking about simple power options. I know the cheapest isn't always the best and neither is the most expensive.

So far, I've been thinking of.

New plugs at 100k
Cold Air Intake at 100k
CatBack Exhaust at 100k

After that, probably a tune/chip.

I drive 100+ to work and back every day. I need more power and torque without completely sacrificing reliability/economy. Stock HP isn't enough for Nashville traffic or anywhere else for that matter.

Real life experiences/suggestions, and part #'s welcome and thank you.

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts
Investing money to improve the performance of a five model year old base engine model is best saved for a down payment on a new model that better meets your needs and desires.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not at this point. I just paid the car off, and got divorced, and lost my house, and am paying child support. I can afford a couple upgrades, but my credit score is shot so even a new car would be off the books. I would rather do a few upgrades and run this thing in to the dirt and save the $200-$400/mo for an emergency fund/college fund, etc.

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts
Not at this point. I just paid the car off, and got divorced, and lost my house, and am paying child support. I can afford a couple upgrades, but my credit score is shot so even a new car would be off the books. I would rather do a few upgrades and run this thing in to the dirt and save the $200-$400/mo for an emergency fund/college fund, etc.
Sorry to hear of all the changes in your life - but heartened by your positive attitude.

I'd suggest always running a Top Tier Gasoline. It's easy and quite inexpensive. After a few tanks you may come to notice some real part-throttle performance improvements.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It always rough idles. When I stop at a stop light or slow down for traffic, it will shudder and almost stall out and then return to normal.

The GM techs say it's a process of the ECU leaning the motor out at idle to conserve fuel. I've had them do an "upper fuel system cleaning" to no avail and tried seafoam as well. Nothing.

I've had it to the dealership 8 times for the TCU/M and finally went to another dealership that replaced it. Seems to be fine now.

·
Administrator
25,600 Posts
You might want to consider a tune from Bad News Racing. (http://www.badnewsracing.net) You'll never get this car to be a race car but a tune does wake it up some.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not looking for a focus or anything like that.

Better air. Nicer sound. 10-15-25 more hp. I think it said it came with 138hp or something like that. 150-165 would be plenty.

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts
Not looking for a focus or anything like that.

Better air. Nicer sound. 10-15-25 more hp. I think it said it came with 138hp or something like that. 150-165 would be plenty.
Realistically that's not going to happen.

Using a dyno to objectively compare you might be able to tease an extra five or six HP - but anything beyond that is going to be crazy expensive.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I'm quite sure these cars and many others can and are meant to be enjoyed far more than just 5 years/ 100,000 miles. It's not like he has 250,000 miles on it or something. I'm with him on this one. I always wanted to have a car that I purchased brand new that I have taken care of since The day I owned it, knowing I was the only owner and it's paid off. It's been proven a person can save a lot of money in the long run if they hold on to a car longer. I doubt the car will have regular reoccurring problems that would be equivalent to a monthly car payment. So that money saved could go to a lot of other things. But if these cars aren't meant to hold up at least 10 years and past 200,000 miles or so, then maybe it's time I start to think about switching brands period, when and IF my next purchase comes along. Because if that's the case it's likely to be the case with this new generation Cruze in 5 years. Then we will be expected to get what's ever out at that time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I want to do led interior lighting, possibly a modest sound system. It's got steelies on it so runs are in my future.

The previous poster is correct. So I eventually drop 2-3k in to a turbo kit. It's still cheaper than the interest on a 5 year car loan.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Once beyond 100K any powertrain repairs will be yours, so having a small car payment again might be worth it in the long run. Also the cruze with 1.8L and an automatic gets the worst MPG of any model, at only 22city/34hwy and 26MPG combined average. Even a certified used 2014-2016 Cruze limited with 1.4T would be a nice performance upgrade and average about 4MPG better(improvements of 2mpg hwy & 4mpg on the city rating). Compare Side-by-Side

You say your cars payed off, even if they only give you $4000 in trade if your only paying $12,000-$14,000 for a couple year newer certified used cruze that's much better equipped(lots of deals on 2LT and LTZ certified used) you could get a car with 1/3 the mileage of yours and get a payment that's under $200 a month.

·
Super Moderator
5,099 Posts
Sorry about your bad luck with the divorce and all but it is nice to have a paid off car. If you are really dead set on staying with the 2012 1.8 You hit a couple of things to do that are not that all that expensive:

New plugs at 100k(I would actually do these ASAP) If not replacing at least pull them out and clean and make sure they are gapped properly.

A BNR tune would definitely wake the car up and help you keep up with the traffic.
Don't think I would worry about the Intake or exhaust
As also mentioned start running some better gas.
Realistically, with the 1.8 engine you will get some gains but it won't be that great. Start with the gas and the plugs and see if it improves.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts