Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
5,048 Posts
Welcome! Keep in mind, folks post onto a forum like this one when they have a problem. They don't often post when they have zero issues. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, you know?

I'm at 43k miles on my Eco manual transmission, and it's been back to the dealer 2-3 times for minor things such as a rattle from the rear suspension and a failed trunk switch. Both issues were handled quickly, and haven't come back. Those happened early in the car's life. I got a shuttle where I needed to go, so I wasn't waiting at the dealer.

Aside from that, it's been a great car. I'd buy another in half a heartbeat, even knowing what I know now.

· Premium Member
5,048 Posts
Wow, 250,000k with just maintenance.

15 years fixing cars, I've never run into a Corolla or any other car that could do that.

Unless struts, sway bar links, wheel bearings or belt tensioners are considered maintenance.
I consider that stuff maintenance. It's suspension and accessory belt stuff that wears out and needs to be replaced every so often. And wheel bearings wear out after 100-150k miles, especially the fronts on a FWD car since they have so many roles to play in acceleration/steering/braking and suspension, often 2 or 3 of those things at once. The hubs are pretty easy to replace on the Cruze. 3 18mm bolts, although the top one's a bit of a bugger that benefits from a wobble or U-joint being placed under the strut as it is.

Our Fit has needed little in the way of unexpected repairs in 60k miles and 3.5 years. Some ATF drain/fills, yearly brake cleanings/relubing, a new battery after 2 years, a set of tires, and oil changes are all it's needed. It also acts like a giant automatic transmission go-kart with all the positives and negatives one can imagine from that description. Mind-reading steering and excellent cornering along with a bumpy, stiff ride. It's very noisy even around town with a low-rent interior that has worn like iron and cleans up nicely. I like that car for being what it is, and not pretending to be something it's not.

If having a trouble-free car is a priority above all else, a Prius or Corolla has proven to be excellent at being trouble-free. Both of those are older, well-proven technology.

Reactions: obermd

· Premium Member
5,048 Posts
I've never smelled coolant in my Cruze. My used oil analyses have shown no coolant in the oil. I'm hazarding mine's okay based on those two indicators and how it has 43k miles without smelling coolant.

There's no such thing as a "trouble-free car". Not unless it's a Matchbox/Hot Wheels, and the wheels still fall off those! The Cruze is a pretty trouble-free car. The odds are excellent that it will be trouble-free. However, those are odds, there still is a house, and the house does win a few. That's why there's a warranty.

I can't stress enough, find a dealer with a good reputation for servicing what they sell just in case there is an issue! Check out the service department, and ask some of the customers waiting there about the service department, such as who they would recommend to work with and if problems were fixed the first time. The dealer experience is just as important as the car itself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.