Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background: I'm helping my father in law out with his '12 Cruze with a 1.4t and auto trans. It has 80k miles. I am a classic car guy with a few engineering degrees but no substantial experience working on DOHC engines.

Problem:. The motor was throwing knock sensor codes and there was a very noise that sounded like a bad lash adjuster. There were compound problems - bad pcv valve (shocker), and a bad purge valve. Once I replaced those parts the motor idled but it would cut speed and throw a knock code upon heavy Accel. The ticking noise went in and out. The last time I drove it a cylinder shut down.

I have removed the valve cover and went through alldatadiy to remove the camshafts (completing the TDC and timing chain locks procedures) so that I could take a look at the lash adjusters, rockers, valve stems, and springs.

So - bad stuff has happened! All on the intake side. Two rockers have gouged the head and two valve stems are badly worn. All lash adjusters have pressure (hard to compress).

Anyone have experience with this? If this was a classic car I would rip the thing apart to check the valves. I don't know this motor well at all, but it seems like it would be a major PITA to tear it down. New head? New motor? Advice is very welcome.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Pull the head and just replace the valves. Do all of them though, Not just the worn ones.
Have the head rebuilt basically. Or buy a new head if it's cheaper.

One guy posted a couple weeks back. He lost a valve in to the piston.

·
Registered
39 Posts
remove the head and have it repaired ore rebuild, depending on budget and how long your dad plans to keep the car...maybe it´s enough to just replace that valve, spring and rocker arm.. maybe a complete rebuild is not necessary at just 80.000 miles… ask machine job check the head for wear and give you a recommendation.

New motor ? Only necessary if there is severe damage to the piston or cylinder which I don`t think there ist... the scars in the head are nothing to worry about… with all the Metall beeing scraped off, an oil change would be good

As you just disassembled the head, can you tell me if it is possible to remove the rocker arms with the cams installed ? I think I should replace 1-2 lash adjusters and I don´t want to remove the cams… I´ve seen videos where somebody did this on a Honda engine

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I've been on this forum for over 8 years, and I think this is the first we've seen of this type of fault.

There is a youtuber by the name of William Cochran (sp?) Google "Big Turbo Cruze" to find his channel. He shows a fairly decent video of removing the pistons, with the block left in the body, essentially in his driveway.

Valves have just been added to the Rockauto Catalog within the past few weeks.. Yea, it's the engineer in me coming out, I have an RSS feed for parts.

Lots of time, but it sounds like you have the timing tools, and have researched the knowledge.

Is your dad the original owner? What would cause these to let go like this? Is there a bearing on the rocker arm that essentially freezes?

Not to turn this into an oil change debate, but what's the valve cover look like? No oil passages clogged?

Keep us posted.

Carbon02

1 - 4 of 4 Posts