Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, looking forward to purchasing a Cruze for the family. Mostly be the wife's car but I will definitely be driving it every chance I get. We are undecided between these two:
2012 cruze rs 1.4 turbo 6spd with 64000 klms leased vehicle with sunroof for $13500
Or finance a 2016 new, regular trim, and we'll add the sunroof for about $23000
Money is an issue, we just bought a house so have very little left over. The new one would be stretching ourselves. But peice of mind goes a long way. Do the 2012s seem to have alot of issues?
Thanks in advance. - Teddy

·
2,170 Posts
That's a difficult one to answer. A lot of it depends on the condition of the 2012 Cruze. If it was well maintained, it may be worth it to go that route. The condition of the new car is new. If anything does go wrong with it, there's a warranty to cover you while you're still making payments so you don't get stuck without a car. Pros and Cons to each vehicle, you'll have to decide which option is better for you.

I think most of the main engineering and manufacturing issues were worked out by the 2012 model year. There have been posts on here about bad PCV valves and other random issues, but it seems like the majority of the Cruzes are trouble free, economical, and stylish vehicles.

·
Super Moderator
5,169 Posts
I personally have a 2012 Eco(1.4 6M) myself along with a several others on this forum and as Chevrasaki said as long as the car was maintained, it is a decent trouble free car. I have not done any other than regular maintenance and I have 66K and plan on keeping it a while longer. Compare the 2016, you will be looking at a different interior and styling. The one thing that I am thinking about is when you stated
for the family.
The back seat on the 2012 is more cramped on the 2012 vs the 2016 if that could be a consideration down the road. Esp if you have growing kids. But I don't think you would be in the market for this type of vehicle vs a minivan/SUV if that were the case.

Mechanically the 2012 is a solid car and most all the bugs found in the 2011 have been worked out and the car is trouble free. Since you stated money is an issue I would lean more to the 2012. Congrats on the new house and I don't believe you will have any troubles with the 2012 if you go that route.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If money is really tight I'd go with a used one if it looks good and everything mechanically checks out. I was in a similar spot some years ago and went with a used 2013 Cruze 2LT and it has worked out well for me. Had 39000 miles when I bought it and has been a good car. My particular car had been a previous rental car according to Carfax and it seems to have been maintained really well. Let us know what you decide.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
To the OP,

Off the top of my head, and I am assuming you are considering a 2016 Cruze LIMITED, I would recommend against a add on sunroof to a Cruze (or any car).
In the case of the Cruze, the roof panel that is stamped for a sunroof is galvanized........the 'no sunroof' panel is mild steel.
The add on sunroof edges begin to rust in just a few short years because the metal was cut.
There may be water leaks that develop that will not be covered under any Chevrolet warranty......as well as potential for rattles and whatnot.

Due to the shear number of Cruze's produced, and now coming in off lease or trade, you will find many choices......one might be exactly the combination of options and mileage and price you are looking for.

If you can swing new, only buy a correctly optioned version......any aftermarket add on (like a roof) will cause brain damage down the road.

Rob

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am in a similar situation. I looked at 15 cruze, rental return, $15k. I drove a 16 Malibu 13k miles $16k. I then decided on a 30,000 mile 2012 lease return 1lt with rs pac. for $12,200 I pick it p today at 4.

·
Registered
18 Posts
To the OP
I would recommend against a add on sunroof to a Cruze (or any car)

Due to the shear number of Cruze's produced, and now coming in off lease or trade, you will find many choices......one might be exactly the combination of options and mileage and price you are looking for.

If you can swing new, only buy a correctly optioned version......any aftermarket add on (like a roof) will cause brain damage down the road.

Rob
I agree 100% do a used car search you can nearly pick your option and color . used 30k, mile cars are plentiful.
Marty

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
I was also in a similar situation. I just purchased a 2012 LTZ RS back in Feb. with 55k miles for $12,300, one previous owner, ect. But I was also looking at a 2014 2LT RS, but on the dealership website it said it was a one owner, clean carfax. I proceeded to get the carfax and found that it was a rental vehicle and there was a second owner. Needless to say, I am very happy with my LTZ (other than the dealership I purchased it from, but thats a different story).

Live long and prosper...

Brandon

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Before purchasing that 2012 start the car and turn up the heater. Make sure it doesn't make a skunk smell good. If it does go with the 2016.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys,
I'll go take another look at the 2012 today and check the heater thing. Please let me know if there is anything else I should double check. They provide an inspection sheet that looks like everything checks out. As well as a service record of the vehicle going in about every 10 thousand klms (I'm assuming for oil changes is that how long you should go for between changes?) will keep every one posted.

·
Administrator
15,757 Posts
Thanks guys,
I'll go take another look at the 2012 today and check the heater thing. Please let me know if there is anything else I should double check. They provide an inspection sheet that looks like everything checks out. As well as a service record of the vehicle going in about every 10 thousand klms (I'm assuming for oil changes is that how long you should go for between changes?) will keep every one posted.
Check the passenger side of the block for oil leaks. Make sure the entire underside of the engine, as well as you can see, is dry. Make sure you get service records for transmission fluid, as that would be well overdue by now if it hasn't been done.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Ha, after having three moon roof vehicles in a roll over a 20 year period, finally knocked some sense into my head with reduced roof clearance, would hardly have occasion to open that trap door in the first place. If a sealed system, maybe another, but an overflow system depending on two or four drains, that even if working properly would freeze up during an icy rain. That water only had one more place to go, on you. But debris will cause the same problem.

In my long career, had to do a lot of traveling that meant using rentals, ha, would check the oil level on these things, would look like tar what little was left there. Also a bad boy, would not drive them as nice as my own vehicles, would stay far away from rentals.

Used vehicle's? With nine kids going to college purchased a bunch of these, from trade-in value, least another thousand less, always need extra stuff, tires and new brakes can cost a thousand, other suspension parts, sensors, ABS problems, can't repair radiators anymore, cheap plastic and aluminum foil. In the last 20 years or so, parts prices have become outrageous, even doing the work yourself.

Never thought I would say this, actually cheaper to buy a new vehicle than a used one. Especially if you can't do the work yourself. Only options I really want is cruise and AC, but not even AC much anymore, with this global warming, temps are getting cooler. Only used our AC a couple of times last summer, but wouldn't have died if we didn't have it. But if you have young kids, gotta have AC. Sure adding a bunch of worthless convenience crap to these new cars, and not very convenient if you can't even roll up a window.

Ha, for a 50's car, a new hydramatic transmission was only 150 bucks, but were built so well, never had problems. Today, more like $4,000 and made out of crap. By getting into build your own sites, can easily add another 10-20K bucks to the price of the vehicle adding junk to it with the same body and drivetrain. Not only does your payments take a high hike, but so does the cost of your collision and comprehensive insurance. But that cheaper vehicle will get you there, with a lot less headaches.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
In addition to what others have said, see if you can get service records for the used car. Turbos do not take kindly to ignoring oil changes.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I would look for a deal on a 2015 or 2016 limited that the dealers still have. They are offering some pretty good incentives that make an LTZ available for under 20,000. If I was looking right now that is what I would probably buy.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Not quite like the 50's when everybody was trying to keep up with the Jones's. Could really find some nice running cars for 50 bucks, and no such thing as collectors back then.

Was sure a bunch of Model A Fords running around, one that was beat up and needed a lot of extra work was five bucks, but a really nice running one was ten bucks. Nobody wanted these old cars, but was well worth it to spend the extra five bucks.

I wanted class, so found a nice 1930 Olds for ten bucks. But a really nice 37 Caddy limo was 75 bucks.

What happened since then? What really cost a huge fortune was a 14" black and white TV set, in the 400 buck range. That amount of money would really buy a nice car.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Wonder how much my 65 Buick Electra would cost today, no plastic or aluminum, all stainless steel, brass, and copper. All switches metal, chrome plated, was loaded, PS, PB, PW, PS, radio was a mechanical monster. Screws everywhere, just about any component could be rebuilt, today, same stuff is throwaway.

Same with homes, watched my grandfathers home built in the late 40's in Milwaukee, all brick, plastered walls, solid oak flooring and woodwork, asphalt roof shingles that would last forever, two story, four bedrooms, two baths, all electrical conduit, on a nice clean Milwaukee lot. Price was around $6,500.

Today, particle board, drywall, plastic plumbing, plastic siding, stringing UF electric cable, show a home electrician a conduit bender, doesn't know what it is, show a plumber a threaded pipe, what's that. Plastic woodwork, 1/32" veneer cabinets, heating and AC system maybe good for about five years if lucky. And cost both arms and legs to buy.

Seems like the things we need, a home and transportation, getting robbed to death. And getting junk in the process.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
Went with the 2012 rs. Couldn't find a 6spd manual with sunroof new. Pick her up on Saturday. She's in immaculate condition. Very happy to almost officially join the cruze community. Thanks for the replies.
Nice looking car! Yeah, I couldn't find a manual with a sunroof either...I regret it sometimes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts