Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
5,470 Posts
If you have been satisfied with the ride quality and handling of the car all along I am inclined to recommend the stock (GM) replacements.
Unlike struts, which can have a very long lifespan, shocks tend to be pooped in the 50k mile range, so I suspect, since you needed tires, you are in that mileage window.

Although tired shocks can contribute, rear tire cupping is often the result of stretching your tire rotations beyond 7500 miles.
Since the rear tires are being pulled at all times, more so when braking, the wear pattern becomes uni directional.
Same thing happens to the front tires of a motorcycle, only they are being pushed all the time and cannot be rotated.
Just threw that in for general info purposes.

My thoughts based on past experience,

Rob

· Premium Member
5,470 Posts
I have never rotated my tires. Maybe that's half the problem. But, I didn't think 60k on shocks was very good. I have really never heard of them even going bad.
Well, they may not be bad, yet. The tire store was speculating based on tire wear and since you indicate no rotations I can see how they would be thrown off track.
Those old rear tires should have howled like snow tires (*** *** ***).

It is generally assumed owners have the tires rotated in a timely manner and front drive cars are particulary rough on the rear tires (cupping) and front tires getting the shoulders worn down.....a combination of nose heaviness and the way a single control arm/strut design load the tire on turns.

Rob

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.