Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang! I have put money down for a cam regrind with Gude performance. We have been talking about this for some time, now and it's pretty exciting. Bill did a grind for my last car, civic with a D17A2 that netted about 20 hp (mild road race grind- had a lopey idle). For this project they need a head for flow tests. I live in Nor Cal and the car is now my wife's DD, so can anyone help- PLEASE PM me ASAP with your contact info.

Thanks!!

* need head j/k begin! *

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
wow, never thought of that ever being an idea, that is quiet a project. may i suggest speaking to a major dealer that has wrecked cruzes. i have heard of a few letting parts go after a cruze get sswrecked

·
Administrator
15,756 Posts
Hi gang! I have put money down for a cam regrind with Gude performance. We have been talking about this for some time, now and it's pretty exciting. Bill did a grind for my last car, civic with a D17A2 that netted about 20 hp (mild road race grind- had a lopey idle). For this project they need a head for flow tests. I live in Nor Cal and the car is now my wife's DD, so can anyone help- PLEASE PM me ASAP with your contact info.

Thanks!!

* need head j/k begin! *
The j/k bit suits your avatar perfectly in this thread.

Very excited to hear about this by the way. A new cam may just open up the top end that we need to make some big power up top. Please keep us posted.

How about we move your thread to the Engine and Technical section for better exposure?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,479 Posts
Just curious...how was power below 4000 RPM with that Honda after the cam change? I love those engines, but they're very weak unless you rev the snot out of them.

Hopefully the little turbo on the 1.4 would make up for some of what you'd lose at the low end with a high-lift cam. But then valve springs, throttle body size, and then the IC/turbo flow will all have to be taken into account too.

You may end up redesigning the whole engine before you're done ;)

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
So which car got DD to the wife..... I really can not wait to here how much more you get for your new blown engine..

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
what no 1.8l love.ill do it for the 1.8s since my car seems to be the guinea pig of r&d
Probably get more bang for the buck out of the 1.8, I don't see a cam change with the stock turbo netting much gain on a 1.4T. I think it has been pretty much put to bed that the turbo is the limiting factor on this engine. If you can't max out the airflow on a stock cam all a bigger cam will do is push the RPM range higher and make more turbo lag.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Probably get more bang for the buck out of the 1.8, I don't see a cam change with the stock turbo netting much gain on a 1.4T. I think it has been pretty much put to bed that the turbo is the limiting factor on this engine. If you can't max out the airflow on a stock cam all a bigger cam will do is push the RPM range higher and make more turbo lag.
Agreed. What might be interesting though is a new set of valve springs and seeing if we could raise the redline. Although the thought of this tiny engine at 9k rpm sort of makes me think it will make the drivers ears bleed. I guess I'd be interested in what a fully built head/retune would net gain wise. I'm guessing somewhere around 20-30HP at the fly wheel?

NOTE: This is of course assuming that valve float is the reason its capped at 7k now and that there aren't other limiting factors.

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
you think 1.8 and 1.4 share the same cams?i doubt it but always lookin for input

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
you think 1.8 and 1.4 share the same cams?i doubt it but always lookin for input
Not at all, I am saying the 1.8 would most likely show a bigger power increase than the 1.4T because we have pretty much found how far a stock turbo can go reliably on this particular car. Doesn't matter how much air the engine is capable of moving if it can't get it through the turbo. If you don't put on a turbo that can move more volumes of air all you will succeed in doing is moving the HP higher up in the RPM range, which may be good on an N/A car. But with forced induction and small displacement the further up the powerband goes, longer it will take the turbo to spool up and the less useable the power will be. Just my opinion, but I feel fairly certain that without work to the turbo a cam swap will likely make the car drive worse. You don't need aggressive cams for forced induction on a street car. Basic fact is you can reach the turbo's max safe output on a completely stock engine so a simple tune will net you just as much.

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
So far the only 2 people I know who have pushed the turbo above the 22-25PSI range have both suffered turbo and engine failure, most likely caused by the turbo failing and not the engine

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
Agreed. What might be interesting though is a new set of valve springs and seeing if we could raise the redline. Although the thought of this tiny engine at 9k rpm sort of makes me think it will make the drivers ears bleed. I guess I'd be interested in what a fully built head/retune would net gain wise. I'm guessing somewhere around 20-30HP at the fly wheel?

NOTE: This is of course assuming that valve float is the reason its capped at 7k now and that there aren't other limiting factors.
even without valve float there just isn't enough displacement in this engine to compensate. For a track application 9K may be doable but the car will be absolutely gutless on the bottom end. This engine pretty much runs out of steam at 5000 RPM and realistically it has to. It is so small it doesn't generate any torque without the turbo so in order to make it operate as a road car the power band has to be very low. I am still a firm believer you CANNOT make a performance engine out of the 1.4T that can be used in daily driving. It just isn't designed for it. It's too small for a 3000LB car. And judging by aftermarket support I'm not the only one who thinks this.

Edit: Think of it this way, a 1.8L engine is a full 23% larger than a 1.4T, and a 2.0T is over 30% larger. When you look at it in displacement terms it seems insignificant, but as a percentage it is a VERY large difference.

·
17,479 Posts
even without valve float there just isn't enough displacement in this engine to compensate. For a track application 9K may be doable but the car will be absolutely gutless on the bottom end. This engine pretty much runs out of steam at 5000 RPM and realistically it has to. It is so small it doesn't generate any torque without the turbo so in order to make it operate as a road car the power band has to be very low. I am still a firm believer you CANNOT make a performance engine out of the 1.4T that can be used in daily driving. It just isn't designed for it. It's too small for a 3000LB car. And judging by aftermarket support I'm not the only one who thinks this.
Twin scroll turbo?

But yeah, I agree. I wish it had a little more displacement to help compensate for a bigger turbo. Before it boosts up (like with the AC on), the engine just falls flat on its face.

Put the 1.4 in the Eco, a 1.6 in other Cruzen.

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
while I think a twin scroll would help with lag, it still won't increase power output. But if you are putting on a different turbo that changes things entirely anyway. I think money would be better spent on a better turbo/fuel system set up than mechanical mods on this engine until we know where the engine becomes the limiting factor and not the turbo. In fact I'd be willing to bet the engine will fail mechanically before you reach max volume on airflow

·
17,479 Posts
while I think a twin scroll would help with lag, it still won't increase power output. But if you are putting on a different turbo that changes things entirely anyway
It would if you could use a BIGGER twin-scroll, with hopefully less lag that's associated with a traditional bigger turbo.

But heck, if you're rebuilding the whole top end of the engine, what's a few hundred thrown in there for a used/rebuilt turbo?

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
And header, and fuel system, and exhaust, clutch, axles, transmission, intercooler....

·
Registered
647 Posts
1 - 20 of 57 Posts