Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I will start working for gm in about 10 days. This will temporarily extend my commute until I can relocate closer in the future... I've been wanting a commuter car for some time now and since I'll be a gm employee I feel it needs to be a gm product..

I've been looking into all the Cruze models that have excellent fuel mileage. It seems like a decent car to pick up but I can't decide if I should buy used or new. I'd rather buy a used model.

The con to used in my opinion is the mileage and maintenance that goes with it... Primarily the issue I foresee is the timing belt swap and tires.. If I'm correct the belt needs to be changed around 100k miles. I'd hate to buy one just to have start maintenance on it. Plus finding the Eco/diesel models seems to be had to do

So are there any other expensive to fix issues that come with these cars around 100k miles?
Any advice/input is much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
As an employee of GM you will be provided a very attractive incentive to buy or lease new.

Reactions: sparkman

·
Registered
46 Posts
The 1.4 has a chain and should run well past 100k. My concern would be the turbo. It seems they have had many issues with the turbos. You may find one that has already had the turbo replaced. They really should go back to a supercharger in my opinion. It would save alot of problems and it doesnt run at 400deg. I would look for one that has been taken care of and not driven to hard. Then you can trade when ready and have your discount.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
If you go with a gen 1 Cruze stay away from the LS and L models. The ECO MT is your best fuel economy for the gas models with the CTD performing even better on the highway. The gen 2 Cruze appears to be a good highway car as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I agree with buying a used car but I would make sure it comes from reputable dealers. I hear that the buying process for Enterprise and Hertz is simple and cars are well maintained if you are worried about past ownership. Talk to your supervisors at GM and see if they know how to get discount with the company for cars. GM uses its employees also for advertisement so they def have discounts rates.

https://www.gmfamilyfirst.com/gms-program-overview
https://www.gmfamilyfirst.com/

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How about the new ones(15's,16''). Any real issues with them or could they of ironed out all the early year issues?

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
There's a guy over there who's got over 400k on his turbo 1.4. Yeah; he drives freeway most of the time, but it shows the fundamental soundness of the platform.I think forum member 'diesel' has the high mileage diesel record at 186k.

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
As an employee of GM you will be provided a very attractive incentive to buy or lease new.
I'm seeing employee discounts through the linked G.M pages adding up with the bonus Employee cash to be less than the National 20%/16%/10% sale in our Newspapers and online on select new G.M. Cars. Best of luck to the O/P with the new G.M. gig, I lasted 3 weeks for them through a temp company~

·
2,254 Posts
I'm seeing employee discounts through the linked G.M pages adding up with the bonus Employee cash to be less than the National 20%/16%/10% sale in our Newspapers and online on select new G.M. Cars. Best of luck to the O/P with the new G.M. gig, I lasted 3 weeks for them through a temp company~
When I jokingly inquired two days ago about purchasing the 2016 Camaro 2SS we had in the showroom, I was informed that with all the incentives and my discount, I could drive that sucker today for $30k plus taxes etc.

MSRP $44,000.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks for the info... Were these cars once supercharged, or as that a reference to the cobalt?
No none that I'm aware of. I was referring to the eaton superchargers that GM has used before. They were solid as a rock if you keep them oiled. Less problems less cost more efficient. I'm sure its because of the popularity of turbos. Which I don't really get. Plus you can sell or replace more turbos. So more revenue. And it has to be expensive to stand up anytime under the high heat.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
old Cobalt SS were supercharged for some years, turbo for others. I'd agree that if you buy used from a Rental agency, you'll know that regular maintenance was performed on the vehicle and any possible recalls would have been completed as well. The only bad thing is the reason behind the saying, "Drive it like a rental." I certainly don't pamper a rental car or treat it the same way as I treat my own cars, but then again ... I don't go off-roading in a rental that's not really designed to be driven that way. There are the frequent pedal to the floor accelerations, and turns a lil faster than the car was designed for. And actually, if you look a little bit, you can still find NEW, never titled 2014 and 2015 Cruze diesels! Might not have the options set you truly desire, but the killer deal you'll get as a GM employee might just be worth the "sacrifice" of a few options. Best of luck in your new job and finding a "new" car!

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
was at the dealer today getting my tires rotated and they had a new 2017 hatchback in the showroom. I think they did a great job with them but the sticker was 29,000 and they had a malibu 2LT next to it and the sticker was 28,000. so not sure how they will sell at that sticker price. but I like the hatch seems to have a ton a room and I like the seats in them better than mine. really surprised at the room in the hatch so I guess that will be on my short list next time I look for new car and if they are still making them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so i went and tested out a cruze, and they also showed me a Malibu hybrid. it wasn't a whole lot more money. the claimed mileage was 47 city/46 highway.. any one know how accurate that might be and what the real numbers could be. How about the reliability of the hybrids. sorry i realize this isnt a hybrid/malibu forum.

i didnt really care for the auto stop on the cruze, do the older models have that? it seemed like that could cause some issues in the future.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
Buy what you like driving more. Check out the regular Malibu too.

Hybrid systems are usually quite reliable. The Bu has auto stop in all models as well. It's weird for the first couple days and then you don't mind it anymore.

They really did a good job with BOTH new models. A tough choice for sure. I picked up my 2012 from the dealer after 3 weeks with a 2016. With the new model out and being so good, I would not buy a first gen Cruze again.

·
Registered
46 Posts
so i went and tested out a cruze, and they also showed me a Malibu hybrid. it wasn't a whole lot more money. the claimed mileage was 47 city/46 highway.. any one know how accurate that might be and what the real numbers could be. How about the reliability of the hybrids. sorry i realize this isnt a hybrid/malibu forum.

i didnt really care for the auto stop on the cruze, do the older models have that? it seemed like that could cause some issues in the future.

I would think that is a conservative average. Electric is very efficient and much more constant. The internal combustion even with all "New Technology" the basic flaws seem to be overlooked. Everything is constantly changing inside the engine. Mainly the compression! When you start out is very low and not very efficient. The more you open the throttle the more the power and efficiency rises. The engine makes much more power and the engine itself if more effienct. By the time you get to a halfway decent efficiency you are making much more power than you actually need. The extra power is wasted making the vehicle less effient. With the elecric motors constant effieciency the engine can stay at a more constant rate. I believe the engine can be as efficient as the electric motor or close. Until then if the hybrid is setup well I would say a car as light at the cruze or even malibu should be more than capable of 50+ mpg especilly with direct injection.
I would want to get an idea of the quality and mfg of the electronics, motor, and the IGBTs. High Power circuit components engineering and implementation are not exactly cheap especially of good quality. But there are high quantities in the auto industries also. The fact that you say the price is not much more would make me look at where the difference is. How much is not much more? It may just be the standard is marked up to sell more hybrids but I would check that out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
btw does anyone else have problems typing in the reply box here. If any typos are hard to correct and starts flashing and going nuts if you go back. Skips characters you type etc. I thought it was my laptop before but even on a different PC it can get crazy. The phone isn't as bad.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.