Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys I am looking into buying an aftermarket battery to replace the stock under the hood, and to put a reserve in the trunk. I'll be doing the "big 3" in all 0 gauge with my runs to the trunk and for the reserve in 0 gauge. I am trying to keep the prices and options reasonable while not cutting corners. I am looking into yellow top optima, xs power, dekas, or tempest batteries, but I do not know what to look for when it comes to specs when buying aftermarket batteries. I'll be needing the extra voltage soon, so I kinda want to overkill on the electrical, as for it'll be a daily ground pounder. So any help is appreciated. Thank you guys a lot.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
why not a diehard platinum from sears. heard good things about them

·
Super Moderator
5,174 Posts
why not a diehard platinum from sears. heard good things about them
IMO Diehard is a good battery I bought for my wife's car with no problems. I hear lots of great things about interstate batteries. I don't know their price tho. Honestly, batteries are made so much better now that I have not needed to replace one in @ 6 years and that was with a Duralast from Autozone. So it depends on your needs

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Well I'm only upgrading batteries for an audio build I'm getting ready to do soon.
This is the battery I'm getting no moving wires needed. Optima Red Top SC34R

Sent From An Antique,
My Original Droid.

·
Premium Member
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is the battery I'm getting no moving wires needed. Optima Red Top SC34R

Sent From An Antique,
My Original Droid.
Is this the battery you are getting to upgrade under the hood or the reserve in the trunk? I am going to need enough juice to supply 2200 watts running at 1 ohm for daily use lol.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
This is to replace my under hood battert I will be getting a kenetic 1800 Watt battery for the trunk.

Sent From An Antique,
My Original Droid.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
I hav to get my sub back first lol.

Sent From An Antique,
My Original Droid.

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
If you're putting a battery in the trunk it should be a sealed type. No question.

I have to recommend Odyssey batteries after being extremely impressed with mine. I have a tiny little PC680 as the only battery in my '02 Vette and it cranks that 10.5:1 CR 5.7L V8 over no problem... the amount of "power" it dumps is really impressive for its size. It weighs ~15lbs.

They make much larger batteries as well, which is what you will want for the higher reserve capacity.

I would consider my Vette's PC680 application on the verge of "abusive", and it has been great for several years now. I can't see paying for a regular lead acid battery ever again.

I know two people who have gotten bad Optima Red Tops. It seems they got old stock that had been sitting for a while, which may or may not be a legit concern.

What I do know is that my Odyssey sat in my basement for two years after I bought it before being installed and works like a charm. Also, the guy who stores the car in the winter removes it in the fall and installs it in the spring, and he's never seen another battery that keeps a full charge over the winter and doesn't need charging in the spring. He stores over 30 cars and 10 boats each year, and all the batteries come out as a precaution.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Imo optima, kinetic etc are over priced.
Get the biggest AGM battery you can fit up front from like I've previously said the diehard. Or something that Costco has. Or for us Canadian folk Canadian tire carries a nice AGM battery. And get the same one for the rear just a group size or 2 up from the front.. Most have a good replacement policy and around the 200$ mark maybe less when on sale. A good solid ground, big 3 and power wire with 1/0 should all be adequate. Your not going to be using 2200rms unless your driving around listening to test tones all day. Odessey makes a good battery aswell.

·
Premium Member
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Imo optima, kinetic etc are over priced. Get the biggest AGM battery you can fit up front from like I've previously said the diehard. Or something that Costco has. Or for us Canadian folk Canadian tire carries a nice AGM battery. And get the same one for the rear just a group size or 2 up from the front.. Most have a good replacement policy and around the 200$ mark maybe less when on sale. A good solid ground, big 3 and power wire with 1/0 should all be adequate. Your not going to be using 2200rms unless your driving around listening to test tones all day. Odessey makes a good battery aswell.
Okay thank you, I appreciate it! :)

·
Contest Manager
2,251 Posts
**EDITED**

Make sure to compare specs between each battery you look at.

Cranking amps
Amp hours

Battery upgrade is prob one of the best things you can do for car audio. Make sure you pick the best one that's in your price range.

I'd personally go with this one. Specs are right where you want them to be for your set up.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_7343_Kinetik-HC2000-KHC2000.html

** ALSO REMEMBER 1ohm load on your amplifier IS "ROUGHLY" 50% EFFICIENT**
so if your subs are demanding 1500 watts; you are pulling 3000 from the alt/bat and your amp burns off 1/2 as heat

If your electrical system can support it, then 1ohm is fine. But if you want a more efficient system find a amp/sub combo that can give you the same power wattage at a 4 ohm load. (Usually cost a lot more money though)

Not saying what you are doing is wrong at all. I'm just giving you food for thought.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Make sure to compare specs between each battery you look at.

Cranking amps
Amp hours

Battery upgrade is prob one of the best things you can do for car audio. Make sure you pick the best one that's in your price range.

I'd personally go with this one. Specs are right where you want them to be for your set up.

Kinetik HC2000 (KHC2000) 2250 Amp 12V Car Battery Power Cell

** ALSO REMEMBER 1ohm IS "ROUGHLY" ONLY 50% EFFICIENT**
so if you are demanding 1500 watts; you are pulling 3000 from the alt/bat and your amp burns off 1/2 as heat

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Thank you sir, so what your saying is I should just wire them to a 2 ohm load instead? I was looking into these batteries 12v 100ah TR100-12B   Tempest AGM, Valve Regulated, Maintenance Free, Sealed Lead Acid Rechargeable Battery $174.00 what is your thought on these?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have had decent sized systems in my vehicles for years now.

I have always used a yellowtop optima as my second battery. I will not use another.
I currently have four amps with a potential 2400watts continuous. No issues whatsoever with how I have it set up.

Regardless of your choice, remember that you are going to need a decent sized isolator

Also, the back right cubby in the trunk makes a perfect spot for a second battery.

I may just be your phrasing, but that last statement sounded a bit confused as to ohm loads and wiring.

You are wiring your battery to a specific ohm load. Just throw on the beefiest wires you can on them.
The ohm load will come into play when you are wiring up the voice coils on your amps. Depending on the impedance the amps see from the connected speakers, they will draw more/less power at varying levels of efficiency.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
The factory battery is 438CCA, all the aftermarket direct replacement ones I looked at were 600CCA. I ended up buying the Diehard Advanced gold AGM, was expensive but at least it uses flat plate cell AGM not the stupid space wasting spiral cell of the optima battery.

From everything I have read the Sears battery is made by East Pen(Deka). Sears also offers a regular non-AGM diehard gold battery, but its only $10 less than the advanced gold AGM.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
The optima red top I mentioned is 800CCA

Sent From An Antique,
My Original Droid.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts