Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, 2012 Lt 1.4L, 135670 miles, USA.
Recently, (yesterday) changed out water pump and thermostat. Water pump was leaking and thermostat busted. Also in 2013 water pump and thermostat was changed due to overheating recall.

Now after test drive, coolant reservoir is boiling and sounds like boiling in engine. Also, digital reading is going from 221 to 235. Fan comes on only on high at 230ish. Temps go down to 225 then back up 230s and fan on and the process continues over and over. Fan does come on with AC on also.
Digital reading before changing thermostat and water pump was 210 to 216 at normal driving temp. Do not want the engine to overheat.

What do you recommend to be changed to fix the problems or resolutions?Maybe change a sensor or coolant reservoir and cap?
Wheel Automotive parking light Car Tire Vehicle

·
The Nuclear Option
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
5,151 Posts
What you are describing is normal operation for an overheating condition. I recommend performing a cooling system pressure test to determine if there is an external leak. I also recommend performing a block test to check for a head gasket leak. There could also just be air trapped in the system from the repair or a damaged sensor. My previous assumptions are based on the cooling system being properly bled and the previous repair being done correctly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What you are describing is normal operation for an overheating condition. I recommend performing a cooling system pressure test to determine if there is an external leak. I also recommend performing a block test to check for a head gasket leak. There could also just be air trapped in the system from the repair or a damaged sensor. My previous assumptions are based on the cooling system being properly bled and the previous repair being done correctly.
How do I vacuum test it? How do I bleed the air out of the system? Can I buy the tools or parts to do this? No water in oil, new oil change today. No visible leaks anywhere.

·
The Nuclear Option
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
5,151 Posts
It explains the bleeding process here:

If your planning to do your own repairs, I recommend purchasing a service manual.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts