Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 chevy cruze with pioneer audio system/touch screen nav

So I made the mistake of not being careful with my speaker wires and touched them to something they should not have touched. Now when I turn my radio everything works but the speakers. I am afraid I somehow blew the amp. I have checked and changed all relevant or at least what I thought were relevant fuses and nothing was shot.

I was installing separate amp and 2 12'' sub woofers using an LOC.

Any idea what may be causing the issue? I checked the amp and there is no built in fuse on the amp itself. If I need a replacement where would I get one?

·
Super Moderator
4,947 Posts
Sure you didn't blow out a channel on the stereo? I really don't think it would have done anything to the speakers. FYI Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome and the reply. I am quite new to audio side of things and have done rudimentary installations before, how would I go about checking the channel?

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
Use another known good speaker....Size doesn't matter, jut that it works.

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
Use another known good speaker....Size doesn't matter, jut that it works. I agree with Patman, far harder to blow a speaker out accidentally than the amp

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Well I would check to see if the amp has a dedicated fuse in the fuse holder for the amp. There are many more steps after this. Check this first

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I'm a little confused on your issue because you said "Now when I turn my radio everything works but the speakers. I am afraid I somehow blew the amp." So, do the subwoofers work?

Can you test your LOC? I recently had mine go bad.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Which amplifier, the Pioneer or the one you are adding. Practically any modern radio has current limiting and thermal cutoff, so shorting the speakers wires should not hurt it. Unless you accidentally touched them to 120 or 240 VAC. Then if only one channel the other channel should work.

Speakers can be tested with an ohmmeter, for automotive, 3.2 ohms is quite common, but anything below 10 ohms should be okay. Another simple test is using any 1.5 battery with clip leads, just pulsing the speaker terminals should hear a click.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The speaker lines are all monitored by the BCM and I would think if he had a shorted output IC it would set a code and not power up, not sure about this but a shorted output IC will make the radio blow a fuse usually, maybe the loc is his real problem

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I checked every fuse today, even the ones that had nothing to do with the stereo itself. I wasnt able to find a fuse integrated into the amp itself. I did not know the speaker lines are monitored is there a way to check this?

I cant get any sound from the 9 pioneer speakers or the subs that I was trying to add. I think I am going to take everything out tomorrow and start from scratch to see if I can find the culprit. Its quite frustrating, I dont want to have to replace the factory amp with another oem. I read somewhere that you cant replace the factory amp, but thinking about it now that sounds a little suspicious.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The subs would not work. The LOC was fresh out of the bag so there shouldnt be an issue with that. Ive tried searching these forums for similar issues but I must not be using the right search terms.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Do you have one of the Bluetooth readers or anything to check for codes ? I'm thinkin the BCM may just be muting it, you can try disconnecting the battery

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Ha, have no idea what you are doing, but would return everything back to stock to see where you are at.

A dad with boys with friends as teenagers tried to modify a vehicle's radio system when life was a lot simpler. Don't want my imagination get carried away with me, but what a mess they made.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts