Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My 2010 Cruze has given me nothing but trouble since I bought it only 7 months ago. Its latest issue is the engine light has come on (right before I was going to advertise to sell it) and I took it to a honest mechanic who plugged it into the computer and gave him an error with the Oxygen Sensor.. he turned the light off to see if it would stay off because the car had been sitting unused for quite some time so figured maybe the fuel had gone bad. The light stayed on for a good 20 mins untill I put 98 octane fuel in and 10 mins later it came back!! :angry: I now ring the mechanic to find out to replace that sensor it will between $400-$500 !!

Does anybody have any kind of advice? Is there something else I can do??

HELP ME SELL THIS THING!!

·
Administrator
25,204 Posts
Do you know what the actual code being thrown is? This is important because it give the first step in getting the problem resolved. I have to agree with Vetterin that I think your mechanic is overcharging you. We have several members from Australia who may be better able to point you in the correct direction.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In Australia its not, I even rang the local car part place and they quoted me $271 just for the part !! His honest because he could of charged me to plug that computer in to tell me what the problem was and turn the light off. Most mechanics just take the keys and ring you up with a $700 bill once they have diagnosed it and fixed the part !!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Rockauto.com has an oxygen sensor for a 2011 Chevy Cruze 1.8L for under $27 including shipping (assuming this is the correct part that is).
2012 CHEVROLET CRUZE 1.8L L4 Oxygen (O2) Sensor | RockAuto

Hello,

My 2010 Cruze has given me nothing but trouble since I bought it only 7 months ago. Its latest issue is the engine light has come on (right before I was going to advertise to sell it) and I took it to a honest mechanic who plugged it into the computer and gave him an error with the Oxygen Sensor.. he turned the light off to see if it would stay off because the car had been sitting unused for quite some time so figured maybe the fuel had gone bad. The light stayed on for a good 20 mins untill I put 98 octane fuel in and 10 mins later it came back!! :angry: I now ring the mechanic to find out to replace that sensor it will between $400-$500 !!

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
See the USA price was already quoted, labor should be next to nothing to replace it, is a special socket for O2 sensors, purchased mine a long time ago when tools were still made in the USA.

But the O2 sensor takes the blame for other faults, like a fouled spark plug of a plugged injector, even dumping in a can of Seafoam or other similar product may cure the problem right into the fuel tank.

Think foreign to us Cruze's are also using the coil module with contacting springs that get caught in the boots. US cars also has a second O2 sensor that basically should follow the first, plugged catalytic converter can cause this or maybe a mouse made a home in your exhaust pipe.

Like here, awfully difficult to find an honest person to troubleshoot and work on you vehicle. And still charge a fortune, even though they don't fix it.

Also an adapter for the O2 sensor, screw that in and measure the back pressure at idle, tells instantly if there is a problem, should be less than 1 psi, but can't find this spec in the Cruze manual, so you are suppose to find a Cruze that is good and get the readings off of that. Not every nice.

PCV may be good for emissions, but equally good at putting crap back into the intake manifold that fouls the injectors, get a lean condition that won't fire, excess oxygen to the O2 sensor, won't switch so generates a code. Really can't go by codes, they don't replace brains.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
In Australia its not, I even rang the local car part place and they quoted me $271 just for the part !! His honest because he could of charged me to plug that computer in to tell me what the problem was and turn the light off. Most mechanics just take the keys and ring you up with a $700 bill once they have diagnosed it and fixed the part !!!
Ahhhh...did not see you were an Ausie but even with our currency conversion that's $202 American which is crazy!

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hello,

Hi crystalrose,

I regret to hear about these concerns you're experiencing with your Cruze, I understand how frustrating ongoing vehicle concerns can be. Have you had a chance to go to a certified GM dealership for a diagnosis yet? I'd be more than willing to assist you in locating a dealership in your area and setting up an appointment. Please send us a private message with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and your preferred dealership in order to proceed.

I look forward to your response!

Chelsea D.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
1 Posts
2012 chevy cruze blowing number 47 fuse engine light on throwing several codes took it to dealer today 5/16 2018 they pulled all these codes said that fuse was blown put new one in an said its not blowing it no more drove car home checked fuse was blown can 02 sensors blow fuses an throw other codes they are saying chewed wires under battery box removed battery an box there is a large wiring box/block under there checked all wires look good the dealer said wires chewed under battery box but i checked no bad wires
-that i could see

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
7,500 Posts
2012 chevy cruze blowing number 47 fuse engine light on throwing several codes took it to dealer today 5/16 2018 they pulled all these codes said that fuse was blown put new one in an said its not blowing it no more drove car home checked fuse was blown can 02 sensors blow fuses an throw other codes they are saying chewed wires under battery box removed battery an box there is a large wiring box/block under there checked all wires look good the dealer said wires chewed under battery box but i checked no bad wires
-that i could see
Welcome Aboard!:welcome:

I tried to read what you said, but What?

I would also suggest you start a new thread in the General Service area

[h=2]Fix my Cruze!!![/h]
We want to help you fix your Cruze as quickly as possible. To do that, we need some basic information, such as:

1. Year, trim level, and transmission.
2. Miles on the car!!!
3. Check engine light, airbag, or other warning light on or "Service [insert system here]" message showing? Has somebody told you the code if the check engine light is on?
4. Approximate location of the issue.
5. As detailed a description of the problem as you can give. Something like "My 2012 Cruze Eco manual transmission with 50k miles on it is making a grinding noise from around the brake pedal at 12 mph every time I start the car, and doesn't do it again until I start the car again" is enough to let us get started. (Hint: I described the ABS self-check, and that check is normal for every Cruze on startup)
6. Country! Your warranty and repair options might be different in other countries than here in the United States or Canada.
7. (as needed): Left-hand drive or right-hand drive? If your car is right-hand drive, that's nice to know since a lot of us on this board have little experience with RHD cars.

Lastly, please be patient and polite! All the folks on this board are doing this in their spare time for free, so we might not be able to reply immediately.

And don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here?​

·
Registered
6 Posts
im gonna day it prolly is a shorted or chewed wire as cars don’t normally blow fuses for nothing usually only blow if shorted

1 - 12 of 12 Posts