Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I have been experiencing a few problems, not sure if they are all related or not. I'm curious to see what you guys think. Car is a 2013 Cruze Eco, 6M, 116000 miles, all stock. Recently I started noticing the smell of exhaust when stopped at a light, with the heat on, but not while moving. I jacked up the car and looked underneath and couldn't see or hear any obvious cracks or exhaust leaks. Then today coming home from work I got a check engine light, so I stopped at Autozone and had the code pulled and it was P0420. In the print out I got from autozone, it says the recommended fix is to replace the valve cover. So I opened the hood, and to my dismay, half of the coil pack cover is wet with oil, and it looks as if the fill cap was leaking, but I checked and was seated correctly. I just changed the oil about 7000 miles ago, and there was no oil on the coil pack cover. Any ideas on why the autozone print out would recommend replacing the valve cover for a P0420 code, which is for a catalytic converter? I haven't noticed any rotten egg smell to indicate the converter is bad, nor do I have any misfiring or loss of power from a clogged converter. Could it be that the exhaust leak is causing a false code? Could the oil leak be unrelated to the exhaust leak or catalytic converter code? These are the pieces, I'm curious what you guys think. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Sounds like it's possible a valve cover/filler oil leak is running down and burning off the exhaust manifold. By this age and mileage it's very possible it needs the valve cover and gasket replaced, anyway, so I'd do that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts