Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!

I have a 2014 Chevy Cruze ECO 1.4L MT. Standard, no mods. 74,000 miles, purchased new in late '13

Codes: P0303; P069E;

Here's the "story":
First noticed a stutter at stop lights / signs.. On the way to work one morning I get the "Service Traction Control", "Service Stabilitrak" on the dash. On the way back from work I tried quickly accelerating, but instead got the check engine light and large stutters / jolts (I don't remember which gear, but probably either 2nd or 3rd).
After that I was able to check codes, which was: P0303; P069E; I also noticed when I turn off the car the radiator fan will stay on full for longer than usual (even if the car sat for some time and I moved it / running for 1 - 2 minutes).

I have: Checked each plug, all seem clean; checked the fuse on the FSCM 67 on the diagram (was fine); cleaned the negative terminal on the battery with a wire brush; checked the PCV valve (does not feel like it is sucking in air or making any noise); checked intake air filter, which shows a little dirty, but shouldn't be enough to cause issues.
After cleaning the terminal it reset the codes and the car seems to accelerate fine, however still idles low / stutters. I drove around for a bit to try and trip a code, however I was not able to.

Idle is around 650 RPM- 800 RPM.

I follow the maintenance schedule closely except I use my oil life indication for 'Rotate tires, oil / filter etc' portion, currently about to hit the 75,000 mark (which just recommends the standard maintenance).
Recently replaced front wheel bearings (both) due to failure / loud noises.
Replaced Spark plugs in '17 with: ACDelco 41-121 Iridium at ~60k miles.

Any advice on next steps would be great, thank you!

·
Registered
232 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There may still be something wrong with the negative battery cable. ***CAN'T POST LINK EVEN THOUGH IT'S A QUOTE, CAUSE I'M A NEWBIE***

The codes look like something with the PCV system. Take a look at this thread and see if this helps. ***CAN'T POST LINK EVEN THOUGH IT'S A QUOTE, CAUSE I'M A NEWBIE***
Alright, put an order in for the intake cover (with the PCV) to see if that will fix it.
I will also get an appointment in to my dealership for the battery cable. I am not sure if that has been done.. usually have to ask for recall type repairs..

Thank you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, someone tell me how this sounds ...
Dropped my car off at 9am at the dealership (where I purchased the car in '14). The service agent noticed the low idle as he was taking down the mileage, so he popped the hood. He noticed the coolant level and made notes of these things. I provided the codes and details to what problems I was having and mentioned the Special coverage on the battery cable. He checked the coverage and there was also a special coverage on the water pump in case the low coolant was due to that leaking. He told me they can't do any of these repairs until they do a $132 diagnostics, which would be dismissed if any of these things were the cause. I thought that as a bit odd (since they could just dance around the reason), but there was no way around it besides leaving / going to another dealership.
At 10:20a I get a call back saying that spark plug on cyl 3 will need to be replaced (and had this side comment, "like $15") and that they'll replace the coil while they are at it (which I know from looking it up is more like $85-$100, no side comment from him). He quoted me $500 for the repair (which is crazy considering how easy it is to do on a Cruze), so I ask him 'What about the coolant or the battery cable special coverage?'. He replied with "Well, our mechanic is still looking, but wants to make sure you are safe to drive the vehicle. They will make sure to check if the battery cable needs replacing after doing the necessary repairs on the spark plug and coil". So I asked about the coolant level being low and the water pump being replaced, but he danced around that by saying "Well, it seems to have no leak, but you'll just have to keep an eye on it." At the end of that conversation I told him I would do the repair on the coil and spark plug, so he informed me if this pops up after the repair I would need to pay the diagnostics fee again to check if it's the battery cable issue....... What? ..... He said that they mechanic would continue his diagnostics to see if there was anything else.
Am I being paranoid or does that sound shady???
At 12:08p I get a call back, but this time very brief... just "Your car is ready for pick up, so you can get it repaired".

According to how it was worded it sounds like "$500 + $132 diagnostics today, but we don't know if that'll completely fix the issue. If you go somewhere else you will have to sign another waiver for possibly another $132"...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Paid the dealership $141 (taxes) for a diagnostic..

Replaced the valve cover and spark plugs (Denso 5310 @ .028), but am still getting P0303 (I'm thinking P069E was due to snow).
Ordered a new Ignition Coil and will see if that takes care of the code.

(Battery was unplugged for duration of valve cover / spark plug install, no codes were showing before taking the vehicle out driving).

To add to this.. idle was better. Now more like ~700 - 850.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts