Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since i’ve bought mine 1.4l 2014 cruze, it has had this leak coming out of two of the front valve cover bolts. I need help figuring out if i can replace the bolts or should buy a brand new valve cover. I had a mechanic change the rubber gasket and he couldnt torque the bolts so he applied some gasket maker to the bolts, as you can imagine they leak oil when the engine is running. There’s always a puddle whenever i park and i have run out of oil two times. Having had to change my timing belt twice and also the crankshaft pulley. If anyone knows the part number to this bolt please leave a comment, or if its not a recommend repair should i buy an oem valve cover or a chinese one is fine?
Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive design Auto part Font

·
Registered
76 Posts
I’ve always used an oem cover. The one time it was not available I used a dorman cover and could not get it to seal. Even tried a new felpro gasket with it and no luck. Put a oem one back on when it was avail and no leaks. Maybe I just got a bad part but that was my one experience with aftermarket cover for this car

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ever since i’ve bought mine 1.4l 2014 cruze, it has had this leak coming out of two of the front valve cover bolts. I need help figuring out if i can replace the bolts or should buy a brand new valve cover. I had a mechanic change the rubber gasket and he couldnt torque the bolts so he applied some gasket maker to the bolts, as you can imagine they leak oil when the engine is running. There’s always a puddle whenever i park and i have run out of oil two times. Having had to change my timing belt twice and also the crankshaft pulley. If anyone knows the part number to this bolt please leave a comment, or if its not a recommend repair should i buy an oem valve cover or a chinese one is fine? View attachment 294216
Are yousure its the bolt hole leaking? The timing cover to block mating surface is there and should have had a small bead of oil resistant silicone applied at this junction. Same thing applies to the rear of the engine at the same point.

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
3,574 Posts
The 1.4L doesn't have a timing belt (it has an internal chain), so that isn't what you changed. Now a serpentine belt, yes. If the threads are stripped you'll need to get a tap and die set and go a size up and get bigger bolts. 100% get an OEM valve cover.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 1.4L doesn't have a timing belt (it has an internal chain), so that isn't what you changed. Now a serpentine belt, yes. If the threads are stripped you'll need to get a tap and die set and go a size up and get bigger bolts. 100% get an OEM valve cover.
But is it possible to change the bolt on the valve cover? I’ve seen some people saying its trapped in there

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
11,981 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 Cruze LTZ 1989 StarQuest 2004 TrialBlazer EXT
842 Posts
The bolt as well as the capture sleeve are removable. And also have a rubber o ring on the sleeve that meets the valve cover at the top.side.

Reactions: Blasirl
1 - 8 of 8 Posts