Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I saw a listing for a cruze that matched 80% of what I want

So the 17 diesel is gonna cost me about 25-27k.

This listing is Not exactly match expect it's gas. 16,300. 2000miles on it

What's your opinion. Worth the EXTRA 10 k so the exact same car minus motor and trans ????

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Why spend any money if you're only going to satisfy your needs by 80%?

Unless you just wrecked your car and need a replacement today - or are going to pump and dump it in a year or so.

Reactions: MP81

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
If you wait just a bit it won't be 25-27 for a diesel. I could buy a gas Premier that lists for 27 today for less than 22 with incentives. Everyone's situation can be different, payments, cash, etc. GM has a bigger than usual inventory of 17 Cruzes, there are and will be incentives to move them.

Reactions: diesel

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its only 80% because of the motor and trans other then that that car is a twin to what i was looking to get in diesel

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
its only 80% because of the motor and trans other then that that car is a twin to what i was looking to get in diesel
What is a car if not an engine and transmission?

Seems more like 50% rather than 80% to me.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I would hold off until it meets 100% you will always wonder if you should have got the one you wanted

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,913 Posts
I would hold off until it meets 100% you will always wonder if you should have got the one you wanted
Exactly.

You'll more than likely regret it. I mean, if you're spending money on a new car (which is not a small amount, by any means, especially compared to regular spending), you should get what you want - unless it's so ridiculously cheaper, like...here's a Cruze Premiere for $10k, something where you'd be stupid not to take the deal, I'd wait.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
I think the 80% is about right, I drove the Gas Premier and I really liked it, yes you give up some efficiency for sure, but I don't read about folks on a pretty regular basis having repeated emission issues. I am happy with my diesel but probably only because I have had zero problems. If I had lots of emission related issues, I would prefer the gas over the diesel hands down, a few out of pocket emission related issues at US current gas diesel prices the efficiency goes out the window. Plus I don't want to go to dealer every week or two like some diesel folks post recall have been doing, that's just a pain in the back side. I have seen used gas Premiers with a couple thousand miles for 17-18k and some certified which provides today a much better warranty. I bought my CTD with 3700 miles and no service done to it till it was in my hands and have no issues with that. Saved a lot of cash, which I like. Plus I don't read about gas Cruze members getting a countdown with speed and miles restrictions.

Reactions: jblackburn

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hard choice

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
hard choice
There will always be a great deal on a used car, just takes time and persistence to find a great deal, the diesel will be out soon, we hope, maybe wait and drive the new one and then decide?

Reactions: Dieselturbo

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
hard choice
One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is that the salesperson will push to buy whatever they have on hand. They will sell today and feed their children now rather than wait for you down the road.

Having said that you need to identify your guiding principle. Is it:

- Saving some cash up front with something that you won't fully like and be partially dissatisfied with for a number of years until you dump it and get what you want.

or

- Paying more for something that fully meets your needs up front and that you keep longer, therefore saving money in the long term.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
It depends what you deem more important.

I felt my 1LT was a compromise for me. I came from a 10 yr old car that was loaded to the gills with every option available at the time. Yes, the 1LT had the motor (well, sort of - minus 60-100 HP) and transmission I wanted, but zero features. Heck, it wasn't even the color i wanted. I missed the sunroof most of all, the radio/stereo was crap, and the heat/ac were very weak. I liked the car; I wouldn't say I ever really loved it. Being in and out of the dealer every few weeks was what drove me crazy, and trying to get the same issue fixed 7 times pushed me over the edge.

My 16 has every option that came on them. If the price had been close to the MSRP of $29k, I wouldn't feel it was worth it, but they do slap some huge discounts on them to sell them. I love the car and the way it drives, it's got enough engine to put a smile on my face around town, and I love all the stuff it came with. The automatic was a compromise for me, but I'm finding it much more agreeable with the kind of traffic I deal with, and it's much smoother than most autos I've driven recently, Fords included.

My second choice would have been a Fusion with most of the same stuff. My ideal engine would have been the 2.0T (at which point I would have been unhappy with the gas mileage), but I would have bought the 1.5 because it's a great value at that price point.

I don't think there's a car that I've had that I have ever been 100% happy with - they all have flaws, even the expensive ones - but it's about getting what's important to you and what FEELS right to you. If the engine is what would do it for you, wait. If you'd be just fine with the features and 1.4, that's an excellent price for one.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I echo what others have said. If you want a diesel, you won't be happy with a gas, and you will definitely be able to get good discounts, probably right at launch.

Another thing is what happened to a friend of mine. (An extreme case). He bought a car that wasn't exactly what he wanted, then traded out of it shortly after to get what he wanted, losing $$$$ in the process of the extra step. Now, 3 years later he still loves his car but is still $7K upside down because of the "oops I made a mistake"

·
Registered
40 Posts
Cruze inventory levels are through the roof, no one is buying small cars due to low fuel cost, you'll be able to get a good deal if you're willing to wait and search for what you want.
I'm waiting for the Diesel too.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
So I saw a listing for a cruze that matched 80% of what I want

So the 17 diesel is gonna cost me about 25-27k.

This listing is Not exactly match expect it's gas. 16,300. 2000miles on it

What's your opinion. Worth the EXTRA 10 k so the exact same car minus motor and trans ????
From my personal experience with both a Gas and Diesel Cruze's owner, there's 2 simple questions i have for you :

1. Will you do alot of highway in your commuting?

2. Are you someone who has a relaxed driving style? (Dont use full trottle often)

If you answered yes to both those questions, then buy the Diesel.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
From my personal experience with both a Gas and Diesel Cruze's owner, there's 2 simple questions i have for you :

1. Will you do alot of highway in your commuting?

2. Are you someone who has a relaxed driving style? (Dont use full trottle often)

If you answered yes to both those questions, then buy the Diesel.
My answer to #1 is yes and #2 is no. Full throttle in the diesel is FUN! :)

·
17,488 Posts
My answer to #1 is yes and #2 is no. Full throttle in the diesel is FUN! :)
I wonder if the 1.6 will be as fun given the HP disadvantage over the 2.0. OTOH, It lost a lot of weight, and the torque number is still pretty healthy.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,913 Posts
I wonder if the 1.6 will be as fun given the HP disadvantage over the 2.0. OTOH, It lost a lot of weight, and the torque number is still pretty healthy.
It's not that big of a difference - the lighter weight of the car should help make it even - but in an overall more nimble vehicle.

·
17,488 Posts
It's not that big of a difference - the lighter weight of the car should help make it even - but in an overall more nimble vehicle.
Yeah. I imagine the diesel on this platform would be about the weight of an old 1.4. 138 HP didnt feel like much in those, but I suppose part-throttle torque will scoot them along nicely.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.