Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, its been a while since ive been on the forum and posted, however im back and wanted to give everyone an update.

Ive put roughly 89,000 miles on my 2LT 6sp, mostly highway miles throughout its existence. The clutch doesnt engage much on the highway at 5th gear much (at 70mph, pressing the gas just sees a spike in rpm) and almost the same in 6th. Ive been putting away for a clutch change aince ive read its around $1300 to do. My question is this..is changing to a stage 1 performance kit worth it or just go with an OEM replacement?

Ive seen a good stage 1 kit for $325 for a Sonic and was wondering if its compatible? I plan on doing a tune to my car after the clutch and maybe getting zzp's dp and intercooler setup. I want my clutch to hold up well after the tune. I was kinda disappointed that the clutch is failing prematurely, but ive read its commin on this car. What do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ive read that GM Performance offers a stage 1 upgrade to the 2012 mnauals built before May. It says that the new 2015 models carry this upgraded clutch. Is this my best bet or should I stick with the Spec clutch?

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
If it were me I would want the newer designed GM clutch, since everything seems to indicate it can handle more power(its required for a pre-2015 model to get the GM stage kit). Sure you may be stock but this could also indicate a part that will outlast your old one in normal conditions as well.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
How is your clutch pedal freeplay, should be at least an inch, when the clutch disc gets thinner, so does that freeplay until you don't have any freeplay at all.

But the clutch master cylinder can also be the problem with these hydraulic clutches, so I would check that first. You may be lucky, I was a couple of times. Changing a clutch in a FWD is not an easy job, but the only person I would trust to do this is me. That rear end of the engine has to be support. A careless mechanic can break a lot of fuel lines and electrical cables and just tell you dey all do dat.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NickD..how do I go about getting the master cylinder checked? My freeplay is about an inch..I don't believe that has changed at all. What I do have is a "reverse" sounding 1st and 2nd gear..its a whining noise but in 3rd it doesn't do it. Did anyone else experience this?

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
One inch is good, some on this board saying using Amsoil MT fluid in the Cruze cures a lot if ills.

I thought you were having dutch disc slippage, another symptom of this is smoke coming out of the bell housing. Not that much difference than brake rotors, with pads dragging, will get red hot.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No smoke or smell of any kind whatsoever. The disc slippage is there, however I wanted to note the strange noise as well. Any clue as to whats causing the sound?

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Are you saying with your parking brake firmly applied and you start off in first gear while stepping the gas like going up a steep hill. your engine does not kill? If the engine is still running, and the car ain't moving, then I would say your have a slipping clutch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts