Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new here, I have a 2014 diesel cruze with 126,000 miles. A friend helped me replace the timing belt and water pump. Once it was put back together it fired right up without a issue. Once it was off the lift and restarted the Stabili trak and TCS needs service lit up. The tachometer also does not work, as well as when it is put into gear it the transmission shifts very harshly and once underway the automatic transmission does not shift out of first. Does anyone have any idea what could have gone wrong and what I need to do to fix it?

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
if the car doesnt know the rippims, i can see stabilitrak and tcs in error state, but also makes sense the transmission wouldnt know what to do....so im thinking the no rippim signal to the car is the cause,

im wondering if the tach signal comes from the alternator???

check wiring from the alternator, realistically youre nowhere near the wiring while doin the tbelt, but...

also, bad ground will screw this up, you obviously removed battery cable to do the job....maybe re check it.....

also has the car had the ground cable recall done?

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,034 Posts
It sounds like the lack of tachometer input is the root problem, and all the others are symptoms. A quick, really obvious fix would be to check you crankshaft position sensor and its wiring. If you damaged a wire or broke the sensor while doing the timing belt--or maybe damaged it with the jack while supporting the engine during the timing belt change. I haven't serviced the crank sensor on these cars, so I can't tell you where to look, but start by looking in the area of the crank pulley you removed and reinstalled, and the area around where you positioned your jack to support the engine. It also wouldn't hurt to plug in an OBD scanner and see if you have a crank position sensor code, or any other code that might help you track down the reason you have no tach input.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the ideas, I don't know if it has had the negative cable replaced or not. I am the second owner and I don't know what the previous owner had done. I have checked and double checked the connections and can't see any looseness in the cable ends.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took everything back apart and cleaned every connection that I could find. I am not sure what it was but the problem was fixed upon reassembly.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I took everything back apart and cleaned every connection that I could find. I am not sure what it was but the problem was fixed upon reassembly.
Great news, glad that worked. I have also seen the CAN bus (the car computer network) get confused when I was using the Torque app, and shut the car off. The app keeps the ECU on when the car is off, and if I don't shut down the app and I then try to restart it, it might or might not start, and if it does will have all kind of error codes.. so it's possible you had some computer confusion as well upon restart, given you had the battery disconnected for the belt change, and it might have just re-booted the computers and cleared up the problem.

As to prior work, can you pull a CarFax for the VIN, or ask you local GM dealer to pull up the service history, actually you might get some information from the GM / Chevrolet website by the VIN. It might be worth the effort to know what has or has not been done on the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts