Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

this is my first post here! I live in Belgium, where the Chevy Cruze is rather rare. So no local forum here, leading me to asking for help here :eek:
Please forgive me if my English sentence build / choice of certain words don't make any sense, English is not my native tongue.

I accepted a new job and will unfortunately not be needing my Chevy Cruze anymore. So the car is for sale.
Today, I went to the legally obligatory technical control (we have to get a technical checkup before we can sell cars in Belgium). They mentioned there was a leaking issue but did not give me a red report (meaning I should fix the car and come back for another checkup). So I got a green card and went home.

--> This evening, a guy and his daughter came by to have a look at the car. They were very impressed by the looks / options / price / and so on. Then we started the engine, and checked under the hood. Immediately he said; "Look! It's leaking!" And he pointed to a small part near the cooling tubes which go into the dashboard, at the passenger's side of those hoses/tubes which go from the motor compartment into the dash.

So in fact, this part was leaking +- 1 drop every 5 seconds. No idea how much is coming out while driving... To my regret, I don't have alot of technical automotive knowledge, so I don't even know which part the coolant liquid is coming out of. The man said it is the 'radiator', which is (according to him) located deep inside the dash. He said the broken part itself will cost 300 € (which is 340$) and it would take half a day of labor. He said total cost could be around 600-700€ (800$).

Without further ado, this is the part which was leaking red coolant fluid (not the pipes, the metal looking square behind them):

I also managed to record a short video clip, showing the leaking part:

https://imgur.com/a/Aup5EyY

So my big question is; what is the part called, where the coolant fluid is leaking from? Because, when I google Cruze Radiator, the result is not the part which is leaking. I really have no idea what to look for online, so I am hoping you guys can help me out.

And my follow up question would be... What can cause this kind of leakage, and will it be expensive to fix? I am asking this because the buyer is willing to buy the car as it is now, but for 1000€ less. Also, I can sell this car to exporters (who export the car to Africa) for around 4000€ (which is 1000€ under my selling price). But if I can fix this leakage cheap, this would be better for my wallet... So if this is in fact a very expensive problem, I will have to decide quickly and let the buyer buy it, or sell it for export to Africa. But I can't wait too long, maybe the offer won't be on the table for too long.

Many thanks in advance and hopefully you guys can help me!
Kind regards
Phil

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
From your description it sounds like the coolant line that goes to the cabin heater is leaking. Depending on where this leak is exactly it can be as simple as putting the car on a lift and replacing the connector (they're plastic and I've had one fail) or as expensive as tearing apart the dash area to replace the plumbing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From your description it sounds like the coolant line that goes to the cabin heater is leaking. Depending on where this leak is exactly it can be as simple as putting the car on a lift and replacing the connector (they're plastic and I've had one fail) or as expensive as tearing apart the dash area to replace the plumbing.
Hi Obermd!

That indeed sounds as what the guy was trying to explain, "radiateur" kinda means "heater" in Dutch/Flemish. Safe to say that's where the confusion started. So to rule out it being a cheap fix, I guess I should definitely visit a garage and have them put the car on a lift...

·
Registered
325 Posts
That fluid coming out of there on your video didn't look red, it looked clear like a/c condensate dripping out....as it should.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That fluid coming out of there on your video didn't look red, it looked clear like a/c condensate dripping out....as it should.
I will check the color tomorrow! If it's clear, everything is normal in your opinion? Also if you see how much has dripped out , at the end of the video? It doesnt feel or look normal to me but hey, i'm no mechanic ?

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
325 Posts
I will check the color tomorrow! If it's clear, everything is normal in your opinion? Also if you see how much has dripped out , at the end of the video? It doesnt feel or look normal to me but hey, i'm no mechanic ?

Thanks for your input!
It sure looked clear to me :)
If it is just clear, I wouldn't suspect anything abnormal.

On my U.S. model, that area you pictured, mine looks like a small black box with a little flapper on it.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
That video makes it appear it's the cowl drain dripping. This is normal, especially if it's rained recently. The liquid is actually coming off the area at the base of the windshield and is normal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, thanks! I really hope its just a (clogged) drain or condens. I'm going to check it out right away.
It did indeed rain yesterday and I went to the self-carwash so lots of water landed on the windshield.

I'll let you guys know!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good news! It was indeed just water coming out of the drainage. There we're some leaves and other junk in there which made it drip. I poured some water over the windshield and yep: water streamed out of the rubber part.

Thanks so much for all your suggestions. I was almost ready tot agree with a very low selling price...

Ya know, thinking some more, it could be the drain for water in the cowl area.....hmmmm....either way, clear liquid nothing to fear.

Found some random video of what mine looks like..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY9NcuwsK3Y
That video makes it appear it's the cowl drain dripping. This is normal, especially if it's rained recently. The liquid is actually coming off the area at the base of the windshield and is normal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts