Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so I've done the rear of my car but Im hesitant on how to attack the front, I know its tricky with the grill because all the holes, I am just curious where abouts I mask off and whats the best way of plasti dipping the front chrome accents, (bow tie included).

·
Registered
443 Posts
I'll post some pics of how I did the grille. Bowie will be more difficult to tape

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll post some pics of how I did the grille. Bowie will be more difficult to tape
Id really appreciate that! my bowtie is "Carbon fibre" vinyl and I plan to leave it like that and doing the outter rim plasti-black. It'll be tricky but I know to take the tape off while its wet, its more so the grill Im a lil stumped on how to tackle properly with plastidip.

·
Registered
443 Posts
It's raining atm so when it stops I'll run out there and take a few pics

·
Registered
443 Posts
Excuse the filthy car lol.

Alright here are some pics. the first pic is what you should do if you plan on doing the bowtie chrome and the chrome grille trim at the same time. The blue represents your painters tape. the red arrows point to edges that should NOT be taped. you should leave a space between the edge and the part of the car you aren't painting (make sure its a big enough space so that you can peel it). when you peel the dip off of the area you don't want painted, it will tear itself along the edge of the chrome. obviously peel it slowly and carefully, and if you have an exacto knife you can even cut around the edge of the chrome trim to make sure it peels correctly. another benefit to leaving space along the edges is you can wait for it to dry before you peel the tape. make sure you don't spray it on too thick, otherwise the dip wont "sink" into the gaps along the edge. Pop the hood and tape the top edge however you want. I didn't worry about it too much since people don't see it.

A tip for taping the bowties is to lay the tape over it and use an exacto knife to trim along the outer edge of the gold, or in your case the carbon fiber.

If you decide to do the chrome trim and the bowtie chrome separately, Then you can do it this way:

I left a space along the outer left and right edges because on my car the edges were pretty tight, while the edges on the top and bottom have decent gaps in them. The method I used to tape was to slide the tape under the bowtie with the sticky side down, and when I did the chrome trim and needed to cover the bowtie, I slid the tape under it with the sticky side up and folded it over.

This is what I mean when I say I slid the tape under the bowtie.

Hopefully this helps! lol

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That helps alot! I really do appreciate you taking the time to explain your way of attacking this, it seems like the best way too - again much appreciated!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts