Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello I thought I read reviews before I went to dealer but now after purchase 2016 turbo manual shift sedan I see the 2014 and some 2015 and before have a lot of issues on complaints google search for in shop a lot??? Im wondering If I should return it quick??? Please let me know how your 2016 is doing Im drive manual.
We only have one car so I cant be in the shop a lot and am on a budget.
Thanks for input. PS when i look up my old car 08 manual yaris sedan very few if any complaints so very nervous here. Didnt like new toyotas out there and very hard to find manual cars.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Our Cruze never ever left us stranded, that is, until we were rear ended by a much larger SUV.

So just don't get rear ended, especially by a much larger SUV.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
I had a 14 Eco manual, drove 22k miles, zero problems, super reliable, only work done to it was a squeaky clutch, dealer fixed it under warranty, oh and I hit a deer at about 45 mph, wouldn't recommend that.

have 15 CTD now, driven almost 13k miles, zero problems, still on free oil changes, my local Chevy dealer is doing a great job serving me. I am quite happy.

i think many of those surveys people fill them out that have issues, and people like myself are happy so we don't bother with completing a survey.

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts
Hello I thought I read reviews before I went to dealer but now after purchase 2016 turbo manual shift sedan I see the 2014 and some 2015 and before have a lot of issues on complaints google search for in shop a lot??? Im wondering If I should return it quick??? .
Oh yeah those 2014s & 2015s. Quick question for you, have you ever returned a new Car before?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your legal rights can be summed up in the one sentence that's posted on the wall of many dealership sales offices: "There is no cooling-off period."
There is a federal cooling-off rule, which is primarily meant to protect consumers from high-pressure door-to-door sales tactics. It doesn't apply to automobiles. If you signed the sales contract, you own the car. And the law is on the side of the dealer.

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
You need to remember that if someone is happy with their car they won't post about it. If someone is upset they will post.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The biggest issue I've had with my 14 cruze is a noisy left rear suspension that the dealer can't seem to fix. Other than that the rest of the car has been fine. 32000 miles on it. We also have a 2016 Gen 2, only 2500 miles on it, got it in May, but it's been a dream.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Enjoy your car, that's the best advice I can give you. I read the complaints, but more enjoy when I can see photos of someones project or DIY fixes. Its awesome to gain so much knowledge in one place about the car you drive.

I did have one out of pocket repair on my cruze over 4 years and 95K miles, I would have to look to be exact but I think I spent $225 on that repair.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you to all of you for your replies, it really did help :) I am wondering tho' Ive never seen a new car get so super hot under the hood before ...if gauge is ok then its just new and ok or turbo?
I can smell all the new chemical sprays on it and wheels/ brakes. Also dome lights in car get super warm just stuff I noticed. Oh will a generic lock gas cap be ok and seal well ? We live apartments and I dont want someone pouring crap in my tank or anything..not that we deserve it or anything.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL no Ive never returned a new car...I assume you could if you did it fast enough...I dont intend too actually unless something really was wrong.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Got struck with unplated rear disc calipers, was a bit of a fight, but got new ones under warranty, they would no longer ratchet leading to a very low brake pedal. Had problems with the negative battery cable where it was crimped into the battery terminal, never soldered dipped that, I soldered it. Also problems with the ignition relay, POS from China, replaced that with a Pansonic.

With poor contact closure was messing up those microcontrollers that need a sharp voltage to reset them properly. Never had cooling system problems that seem to be the most common, leaking water pumps, poorly made heater cores, not so good thermostats.

Battery developed a high self discharge rate, idiot dealers in town said this is normal. But found a dealer in a small town that replaced it with a brand new battery under warranty. They also replaced that plastic camshaft cover under the PT warranty at no charge, just had a small crack in that cap.

Another problem with the Cruze are those steel clips on the pad holders on the calipers, but they like to blame road salt on this, rust builds up under them, expands those clips and jams the pads. 04 Cavalier never used this clips and never was a problem. Have to be cleaned, if the EPA didn't ban all plating in this country, would have paid a couple of bucks to have them plated, but had to resort to using anti-seize, EPA is the problem as well.

One of the key problems and not only with the Cruze is all vehicles, trying to find a good dealer. Really do not like to be told by some stupid kid service manager to trade it off for a new one.

Daughter had this problem with her Kia dealer with a strange vibration they could never find, but she has a dad with an ounce of brains, her air cleaner wasn't properly snapped down. Also all four of her wheels had brake drag, Chevy is not the only bunch of idiots using these steel clips and they adjusted her parking brake too tight that didn't let the rear disc caliper levers returned to their position. That was a five minute job.

Her major loss of power was due to spark plugs that developed a ceramic to base seal leaks after 12K miles. New plugs made her car run like a rocket again. But again this depends on your dealer.

Practically none of these kids have zero knowledge on electronics, with the advent of OBD II was suppose to be 150,000 tech jobs created to deal with all this computer stuff. Never happened, now idiot kids trying to deal with error codes they don't know anything about, so this is the problem. But not only with Chevy, just about everybody.

Heard really stupid things like your rear bumper is not falling off ain't getting an error code, or in my case, your brake pedal going to the floor is not the problem, ain't getting an error code.

But the whole automotive industry is this way, ask any tech, would be dead meat without an scope, but attempt to solve problems with a VOM. And this bit about not giving users access to firmware, only the ECM deals with emissions, other 5-7 computer systems do not. Storing valuable code in flashram is also extremely stupid. but again they all do this.

In any other form using self diagnostics, secondary references are used, except in automotive. So you have the blind leading the blind. All components have basic simple test specifications, don't even give these, tell you to replace with a known good part. How do you know its good if you don't have the basic specifications to test it?

·
Registered
38 Posts
You probably can't return it. That's generally not how it works, despite the incorrect rumor that spreads about returning a car in a few days.

Is the car in question the new Cruze or the old model they're still selling? Since you reference past years I assume you got the old model?

The Cruze is far from a leader in reliability, but unless you get a lemon you shouldn't have too many problems.

I bought mine CPO and I think I've had to take it back three or four times for some of the common problems.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Look at all of the great posts on this site with people who love their Cruzes and the cool things they have been doing with them. There are a lot of people here who are having a trouble free and fun time. And, for each one of them, there are many, many more who just haven't posted anything.

I have had my Cruze for 2.5 years and currently have about 24K miles. It hasn't let me down, and I love driving it.

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
I must say I have had my fair share of issues w/ my Cruze, however after everything that has been wrong w/ mine I still love it & drive it daily & wouldn't think of owning any other car to be honest. Some may think I am crazy for not ditching my car by now, but again I love it.

& as spacedout mentioned, just enjoy your car! I wouldn't worry about something that could happen, wait til it happens to worry about it, stop worrying & enjoy your new purchase & congrats on new car!

·
2,168 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I bought my '14 turbo manual Cruze brand new 3/15 and I've put on 31,000 miles so far with no issues. A vehicle will respond to how you treat it. If you take care of it, it will be fine. If you neglect it, then it won't last nearly as long. Be sure to change the oil regularly at the VERY least. Enjoy!

Reactions: slothcruzer

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,202 Posts
Almost 5 years, 50,000 some odd miles in. A few issues - nothing major besides a leaking water pump, and I don't exactly pamper it. I do my basic maintenance and make sure nothing needs attention, but other than that, I just drive it.

Spent the time to clean it up the other day and thought to myself "you know, I still love this car. Even if it is one of the slowest things I've owned".

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Speaking about five years, let Chevy worry about your Cruze.

Worry about global warming as our great little kid president proclaims, or better yet, that huge Yellowstone volcano that is way overdue to blow its cork, this will bring on an ice age that made the last one look like kids stuff.

Can always find something to worry about.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Nick, by and large the reasons why you don't see lots of stalled cars along the side of the road is for the most part they are much more complex but much more reliable today than they were 60-70 years ago. There are advantages of the cars from yesteryear was that the average person that was mechanical could work on their own car. They were simpler for sure but not very efficient and required lots of service, replace the points, plugs, clean the carburetor, grind the valves, etc. most modern cars with computers and all the bells and whistles we have today are just more efficient and reliable but that came at a cost, the average person can't work on their car today other than oil changes and maybe brakes. But yikes they are for sure safer and way less pollution. Before modern day emission equipment sometimes I remember eyes burning from the what seemed to be unburnt gas, let alone the soot that spewed from a diesel and all the black smoke.

I suppose there were advances then too and a model T prolly seemed like a miracle vs horse and buggy. I can appreciate the history of transporation but yikes we have great cars and trucks today. Safer and much more efficient and environmentally friendly. The major thing that sucks today is the cost, the average school teacher or firefighter may not be able to afford a new car or truck today.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
All of our OBD I vehicles, counting on my fingers, just for my immediate family members between 1985 and 1995, had at least a dozen, all had FI, PROM, and self diagnosis, didn't even need a scanner, built it. Just saying they should have left it this way. Firmware for a radio stored in flashram? You have got to be kidding.

Ha, have you ever met a service manager you are forced to get into bed with? This is the way it is with OBD II. 5,600 bucks for a GM Tech II scanner? Again you have to be kidding. Paying some kid that doesn't even know how to operate a computer trying to find your firmware a hundred bucks an hour. Well he doesn't get that, and this is saving the consumer money?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,202 Posts
All of our OBD I vehicles, counting on my fingers, just for my immediate family members between 1985 and 1995, had at least a dozen, all had FI, PROM, and self diagnosis, didn't even need a scanner, built it. Just saying they should have left it this way. Firmware for a radio stored in flashram? You have got to be kidding.

Ha, have you ever met a service manager you are forced to get into bed with? This is the way it is with OBD II. 5,600 bucks for a GM Tech II scanner? Again you have to be kidding. Paying some kid that doesn't even know how to operate a computer trying to find your firmware a hundred bucks an hour. Well he doesn't get that, and this is saving the consumer money?
Omg #letitgo

1 - 20 of 21 Posts