Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my girlfriend just bought a new 2015 cruze 2.0td. Got a pretty good deal as it was a left over. Looking forward to it as it is our first diesel. How is the reliability and is there anything I should look out for? Thanks

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,171 Posts
Welcome to Cruzetalk Sounds like you got a nice car. There are a few diesel owners out there and the should b able to let you know what to look for.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I have a 2015 Cruze CTD and have like 7500 miles on it, love it. I would read several of the diesel threads lots of great info. I would guess one of the things I would consider is purchasing a scanguage II it will tell you when your car is getting ready and completing the regen of the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF). Make sure if you purchase one it has the Cruze CTD software added, I bought mine online from manufacture, I think it was around $150. I love my car and enjoy driving it.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Me and my girlfriend just bought a new 2015 cruze 2.0td. Got a pretty good deal as it was a left over. Looking forward to it as it is our first diesel. How is the reliability and is there anything I should look out for? Thanks

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk
Biggest thing is to make sure you fuel it with diesel from a reputable and busy diesel fuel station. Also read the label before you start pump and DO NOT rely on pump handle color as green does not always mean diesel. Some stations use green for gas and black for diesel (like our local BP). Misfueling can cause serious problems, so be careful when you and/or your girlfriend fills the car.

Reactions: obermd

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Congratulations to the happy couple!

·
2,254 Posts
Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your purchase.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Welcome to CruzeTalk and congrats on your new car.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Welcome to CruzeTalk.

I've had my diesel since August 2014 and have had no diesel related problems since purchase. There have been some users here who have reported problems with the diesel emissions system and failing sensors. Some of this has been blamed on excessive city-only driving (hard on the accelerator, brake, back to accelerator type driving). These diesels thrive on long journeys and it allows for the emissions systems to operate as intended. I have a mixture of highway and mostly city so it gets its wide open runs when needed. As IndyDiesel mentioned, you may want to consider a http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/64-chevy-cruze-diesel-general-discussion/132666-scangauge-ii.html if monitoring things that the vehicle is doing is sort of your thing. It can help provide some useful information, especially the Regeneration Status of the DPF. You can PM me for additional details on ordering one should you decide to go that route.

Considering this is your first diesel, you may not be too familiar with the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) system. You can read a wiki article on them here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_particulate_filter
But essentially the DPF removes the black particles (soot) from the exhaust and traps them in a filter while emitting a cleaner exhaust with the assistance of the Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF). When the filter becomes full, the sensor detects this and the engine burns off the soot in a process referred to as a regeneration cycle. As I'm sure you're already aware, the tank that holds the DEF replaces your spare tire in the trunk. I didn't have to fill my tank of DEF until I reached about 25,000km. So in conclusion to this, the car itself does not let you know when this regeneration is happening. The ScanGauge II notifies you so you can avoid interrupting it. Although interrupting it a couple of times won't hurt it, interrupting it a few times or more can land you with a trip to the dealer. However, new software updates may be fixing this in the near future.

Overall, I love my diesel and it gets great mileage. Enjoy the power the turbo diesel engine offers you and post away with any other questions you have. There's plenty of knowledge here to get them answered.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have a 2014, just went over 29k Miles. Car has treated me well so far. I had a few hiccups with it, but dealer has taken care of. One O2 sensor, one Nox sensor and computer reflash. Since the reflash, has been perfect. Make sure they check it for the sun roof recall. All in all I think you will be very happy with it. Can't beat the torque, does not feel like a 4 banger.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.