Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to hand to GM they made changing the battery pretty much brain dead easy.

Got a new battery today. Got this one.

Duracell AGM Automotive Battery - Group Size 47 (H5) - Sam's Club

Made by East Penn so I hope i get lots of years out of it.

Took about 10 minutes even uses the same size socket as the oil drain plug.

A+ to GM for making the battery changing and oil changing so brain dead easy.

·
Registered
145 Posts
How much was that battery? I was going to get that exact one, but for some reason, Sam's doesn't sell it at all their stores, so I ended up with an Energizer branded, non-AGM battery.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Sure greased all those terminal sitting right on top of the battery, couldn't have picked a worse spot to place them and checked them frequently.

Son purchased an electric ATV for my grandkids to ride around the yard from Sam's club, was on sale for 50 bucks. But after a season, its battery went dead. Want more for a replacement battery than what he paid for the whole darn thing with a battery.

Going nuts with my battery operated power tools, 99 bucks for two power tools, two batteries and a charger in a carrying case, now just 70 bucks for one replacement battery. See some DeWatts and Milwaukee replacement batteries in the store for as high as 150 bucks.

In the last 30 years or so, any replacement part has become extremely outrageous. And this is everywhere.

So how many Cruze owners are on their second or even third battery? I am on my second.

Can remember when batteries only cost 10-15 bucks, put one in my old Ford tractor that was still good 20 years later. Now over 150 bucks and lucky to get two years use out of it. Cruze battery developed high internal leakage, mainly caused by putting 10 pound of crap in a two pound package.

Here that Duracell is $142.13 with tax with a 36 month warranty. Have to read the fine print. Seeing signs around here, batteries that are frozen up not covered by warranty. But if the battery has high internal leakage, and the temperature is below freezing, any battery will freeze up.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
How much was that battery? I was going to get that exact one, but for some reason, Sam's doesn't sell it at all their stores, so I ended up with an Energizer branded, non-AGM battery.
I paid 134.00 after the 18.00 you get back when you return the old battery.

This is my second battery. Was on my original battery. Probably could of gone longer but it didn't look to good on the last test my dealer did on it so I went ahead and did it now while I have some extra cash and it isn't single digits outside. So I got five full years out of the original. Hopefully the AGM will go longer. I thought all of sam's store would have them that is odd.

·
Registered
426 Posts
After 4 yrs I am still on my first. After my second yr I noticed the battery volts on the screen was going up to 15v and then at times to 12v and even to 11v so I had the dealer replace my ground cable to the battery and the volts have always been around 14.4v to 14.9 volts since then and the battery is hold its charge. I have had it tested and all is well. Perhaps this poorly made cable affected the long term proper charge.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
After 4 yrs I am still on my first. After my second yr I noticed the battery volts on the screen was going up to 15v and then at times to 12v and even to 11v so I had the dealer replace my ground cable to the battery and the volts have always been around 14.4v to 14.9 volts since then and the battery is hold its charge. I have had it tested and all is well. Perhaps this poorly made cable affected the long term proper charge.
Perhaps but I got 48,000 miles out of the original tires and five years out of the original battery. That is much better than what I am used to getting from OEM equipment. So I will take it. I do a lot severe driving. Short trips - high idle time etc. so I am rough on stuff. :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
What is GM putting in their cars these days? The last battery I replaced was a Delco freedom battery in my truck that lasted a full 10 years. That's by far the longest I ever had any battery last with the runner up being a Nippon battery in a Mazda.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
What is GM putting in their cars these days? The last battery I replaced was a Delco freedom battery in my truck that lasted a full 10 years. That's by far the longest I ever had any battery last with the runner up being a Nippon battery in a Mazda.
Our origanal battery in our 2007 Mazda 3s lasted two years and seven months. It was the worse out of all the cars we owned. I think it is the battery manufacturers

Stuff like batteries and tires don't bother me too much. Stuff like water pumps and pcv and piston ring failures do bother me though. Our Mazda eats tires too could never get more than 30,000 miles out of any tire we bought.

·
2,168 Posts
My Cobalt Delco original battery lasted a little over 5 years before I had to replace that, and I had a 1200 watt amp constantly drawing power from it the entire time. Wasn't surprised at all when it finally stopped holding a charge. I'm about to put a second battery and an isolator in the trunk of the Cruze for my 1600 watt system.

Reactions: jsusanka

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a question about this battery change. The only settings I lost was the date and time. All my pre-programmed stations for the radio were still there and didn't change.

Are you suppose to lose all the settings when the battery is disconnected? I was prepared to reprogram all my radio stations. But the only thing I lost was my date and time.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I had a question about this battery change. The only settings I lost was the date and time. All my pre-programmed stations for the radio were still there and didn't change.
Probably just how technology has evolved. At one time, non-volatile electronic memory was practically unheard of. Nowadays, flash memory is common - if for nothing else, the programming the runs the radio. If that stuff is stored in flash memory, pulling the battery won't erase it.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Electrically Erasable Read Only Memory, or EEROM, not exactly new, been storing valuable code in this stuff for the ECU, and BCM since the advent of OBD II since 1996, for 20 years now. Cruze also has the code stored in EEROM for the power steering, ABD, and radio, besides storing your station, just so the darn thing will work.

Prior, was OBD I, on board diagnostics where the code was permanently burned into a PROM, could never change. 0.75 V pulse on the wrong pin can reset all of your code to zero. I don't like to think about this when driving. EEROM is okay for learning parameters, with OBD I, just stored in RAM where this was lost with a disconnected battery. Had to drive your vehicle about 10-15 miles for it to relearn, some would run very rough.

So called open loop parameters, the would learn from closed loop parameters based on the operation of the O2 sensor. 92 DeVille was a pain in the butt by disconnecting the battery, used an electric servo motor for idle speed control. Would go crazy after disconnecting the battery, was a 20 minute long procedure to reprogram it doing all kinds of weird stuff. But did have some nice feature, any check engine code could be displayed on the climate control, didn't need a scanner. But all OBD II cars needed one. No big deal, all the codes are stored in memory and just needed to be displayed for about two bucks worth of parts.

They claim its easier to reflash your code with flashram over the internet, but not when you are paying dealer rates. Some guy that doesn't even know how to switch on a computer has to type in your VIN at the GM site, find the program he is looking for, download that to a laptop, hook that up to a GM Tech II scanner plugged into your diagnostic plug, then downloaded into your flashram. A PROM chip with permanent memory that can be plugged in at volume quantities is about 50 cents. But it would never lose its memory.

Disconnected my Cruze battery several times, TPMS would show -- but would come back in about two miles of driving, Just one time, had to pair my smart phone. Been very particular on my battery, its the only filter for the alternator. But never expected a corroded terminal inside of those crimped on battery terminals. If they just dipped that raw copper wire in a soldering pot, would never be a problem. Mine are soldered now, call this post production work.

Lindbergh on his cross Atlantic flight was counting the number of times each spark plug had to fire, his life depended on it. But had two very basic magnetos. He, would go nuts today if he counted the millions of sub micron sized transistors that signal has to go through to fire a plug. Something else I don't like to think about driving in subzero weather on a lonely road.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts