Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New belt & tensioner, still minor belt noise, increases with RPM "ch, ch, ch, ch"

Read other threads may be crank seal, removed dipstick did not eliminate, pullies spin straight water pump might have a bit of wobble to it, replaced serpentine belt and tensioner with OEM parts... same noise as before. Has had new valve cover without intake manifold but fuel trims are -4.4% so don't believe check valve in manifold is a problem. Any other tips to diagnose?

2012 LTZ 1.4l 6AT, 79k miles.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I was told; when I had this concern, it could be a couple other things. I hear loose spark plugs can cause a noise similar to this and I also read somewhere on the Sonic Forum that it may be a sign of the water pump failing. Mine has a similar noise and I was told to spray the belt with wd40. If it goes away, it's the belt. If not, look further.

I myself have yet to do anything about it. I just got to ignoring it lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what a pile these cars are, just waiting for the diesel CX5 to hit our shores.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'll check for the presence of a check valve tonight and try to get a video, it's a very slight noise like a worn serpentine belt before you replace it. slow cha cha cha cha cha at idle, gets faster as you increase rpm until the engine drowns it out at ~2800rpm

·
Registered
576 Posts
Keep us updated. Because I still have this noise and am too lazy to get into it. lol This will give me an idea of what to look at.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Keep us updated. Because I still have this noise and am too lazy to get into it. lol This will give me an idea of what to look at.
well, good to know accepting mediocrity and fault isn't fatal... I guess lol

·
Registered
576 Posts
Lol I fix stuff that has to be fixed right away. A little noise doesn't bother me and I haven't had any vehicle concerns besides the noise. I'm pretty sure its my belt just making noise. About 90k miles, probably time to replace it and the tensioner. lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lol I fix stuff that has to be fixed right away. A little noise doesn't bother me and I haven't had any vehicle concerns besides the noise. I'm pretty sure its my belt just making noise. About 90k miles, probably time to replace it and the tensioner. lol
Yeah I did that already and surprise surprise, identical noise! It still has powertrain so I had dealer do the cam adjuster seals, turbo feed line, valve cover etc in the last month and mentioned the noise, they said something something belt and tensioner $281... I said nah i'll do it walked over to parts and grabbed the belt & tensioner, verified the belt part number with the one I removed... reassembled and not a **** thing changed... went back to dealer and explained, they said leave it overnight but probably need to drive it awhile or something... sure. Explained we've had this thing for almost 4 yrs now and not one day has passed that it was a proper and complete car without some issue. Life's pretty messed up when your BMW experience is much more reliable than a low rent economy car.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Oh no. Pcv fix time lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so can anyone explain how the missing check valve results in this chuffing noise that sounds like a belt? am i hearing air pulses from the manifold through the tube connecting to the compressor inlet?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,348 Posts
so can anyone explain how the missing check valve results in this chuffing noise that sounds like a belt? am i hearing air pulses from the manifold through the tube connecting to the compressor inlet?
I don't think they are connected.

It sort of sounds like a bad water pump bearing to me. I'd try to isolate the noise, if possible, via a "mechanics stethoscope" (a paper towel tube held to your ear or wooden rod will do the trick).

Unfortunately, yeah, some Cruzes are full of issues and some are fine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't think they are connected.

It sort of sounds like a bad water pump bearing to me. I'd try to isolate the noise, if possible, via a "mechanics stethoscope" (a paper towel tube held to your ear or wooden rod will do the trick).

Unfortunately, yeah, some Cruzes are full of issues and some are fine.
*sigh* few more trips then it sounds like, dropping off tonight.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tech claims the valve is in there and throws hand up in air on the noise new tech looks at it tomorrow, this is why you don't buy gm garbage.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Great, single belt drive system, only have one belt to replace. But if anything breaks that belt, you will be stranded. Number one is not turning the water pump, engine overheats, with aluminum and plastic, stuff will break.

Maximum load on that belt is the AC compressor, with R-134a whose pressure increases at an exponential rate, if you don't keep your condenser clean, can skyrocket to over 400 psi. But this uses a double roll ball bearing, the water pump sees the same load, first thing to go.

Least we don't have a PS pump anymore, this was the second greatest load on that belt. Tensioner can be a problem, with road salt, binds, has to be tested to work freely, generally over 100 ft.-lbs to move it. Found some that would bind, weakens the tension, so the serpentine belt slips. If I can't free it up, have to replace it.

Alternator and compressor have what I call limited lubricated ball bearings. After a couple of years, that grease gets rock hard. So part of replacing the belt is removing these ball bearing, popping off the seals, cleaning them, I prefer using Wolf's Red High Temperature Wheel bearing grease. But if the balls or the races have pits on them, in the trashcan they go.

This is the extra step I take when replacing the belt, idler and tensioner pulleys are the same, some are plastic, can't remove the bearings, in the trashcan they go.

73 Fleetwood, had five belts, ha, hurting my brain as to what they were for, but was does for a reason. On one trip, the AC compressor idler pulley seized, broke that belt, but still could drive the thing. This was done for a reason. Motorhome and Supra have three, one for the fan, water pump, and alternator, but these are only 60 amp units. On this new stuff with all the loads, over 100 amps, puts on over 5 HP loads on that one belt. Separate belts for PS pump and the AC compressor.

Also had problems with the harmonic balancer coming loose. While easy to tighten them with an impact wrench, easy with the engine on the bench, can't get at it with the engine in the vehicle. With an AT, no way to keep the engine from turning. Have to remove a spark plug and feed in a rope so the balancer bolt can be tighten properly. Do this while holding your breathe so you don't break that piston.

GM was peening in that double roll bearing in the AC compressor, thank the engineers for going back to a snap ring and shims on the Cruze, a lot easier to replace, but still a very limited lubricated bearing.

Just saying, replacing the belt is not enough, those ball bearing can seize at any time. Have to be cleaned and lubricated or replaced. Will only buy bearings made in the USA, Japan, or Canada, Chinese bearings are terrible, using BB's for balls.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tech claims the valve is in there and throws hand up in air on the noise new tech looks at it tomorrow, this is why you don't buy gm garbage.
calls me this morning it'll need diagnostic money if you want us to find the problem, yeah i'll pick it up and take it down to the mazda dealer.... f### GM.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Why pick on GM? Friend has a Toyota, took it to his Toyota dearer, said the half axle boot was leaking, 600 bucks for a new half axle, still getting that noise. I looked under his car, all they replaced was that clamp on a very old boot.

Daughter has a Kia, took it in for an oil change, when she drove out, had a rattling noise, took it back, said they couldn't find anything wrong. When she came home, one quick look from her dad, they never snapped down the engine air filter cap.

Can say the same thing about Chrysler, Ford, Honda, Nissan, Subaru, even Mercedes dealerships, could write a book on this. Ha, one very common statement, while under warranty, nothing is wrong, after, everything thing is.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Why pick on GM? Friend has a Toyota, took it to his Toyota dearer, said the half axle boot was leaking, 600 bucks for a new half axle, still getting that noise. I looked under his car, all they replaced was that clamp on a very old boot.

Daughter has a Kia, took it in for an oil change, when she drove out, had a rattling noise, took it back, said they couldn't find anything wrong. When she came home, one quick look from her dad, they never snapped down the engine air filter cap.

Can say the same thing about Chrysler, Ford, Honda, Nissan, Subaru, even Mercedes dealerships, could write a book on this. Ha, one very common statement, while under warranty, nothing is wrong, after, everything thing is.
They aren't saying nothing is wrong they're asking me to pay for them to diagnose it, after it's sat there for 1.5 day now and I spent 1hr of my day showing them what it was doing and steps taken to rectify in the service bay, are they paying me for my time? Ultimately, it will end up at crank seal or water pump, possibly intake manifold as unrelated issue all of which GM will be paying for anyway. I went through this with a new Corvette and i'm going through it with this. When I buy new Audis/Subarus/BMWs of course I have faults but I am never treated like this and the cars are always fixed.

GM wants ignorant low income customers to sell their ignorant overly cheapened garbage to that wouldn't know there was a problem.

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
They aren't saying nothing is wrong they're asking me to pay for them to diagnose it, after it's sat there for 1.5 day now and I spent 1hr of my day showing them what it was doing and steps taken to rectify in the service bay, are they paying me for my time? Ultimately, it will end up at crank seal or water pump, possibly intake manifold as unrelated issue all of which GM will be paying for anyway. I went through this with a new Corvette and i'm going through it with this. When I buy new Audis/Subarus/BMWs of course I have faults but I am never treated like this and the cars are always fixed.

GM wants ignorant low income customers to sell their ignorant overly cheapened garbage to that wouldn't know there was a problem.
That has been chrysler's business model for at least four decades.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts