Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM now offer what they call a "Performance brake package" when you build a Cruze! (Along with the new Redline edition for LT models)

I checked and the kit is the Part Number: 23261507

Text Font Line Screenshot Paper product Text Font Line Screenshot Parallel

Btw the prices there are Canadian.

Im sure this kit can be ordered directly from the parts department in a GM dealership!

2nd gen Cruze owners are lucky, i had to get mine from after market and in the end it costed me way more then this for my Brake kit.

Reactions: Tomko

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
I'm trying to figure out the need for a performance brake kit without a 1.6T or something under the hood. For the 3 people that would AutoX one I guess?. In stock form, even with 18", its not really a car that enjoys being driven at 10/10ths

Take the engine from the Cascada and put it in a Cruze, then put a big brake and suspension upgrade kit on it and we'll talk.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Even if you went with a bigger engine in the GEN2 the brakes are so much better than the 1st Gen. Actually these brakes are probably some of the best GM has ever put on a small car or any of there regular cars. I know GM is commited to making rotors and brakes last longer with the new durastop setup.

·
17,486 Posts
Even if you went with a bigger engine in the GEN2 the brakes are so much better than the 1st Gen. Actually these brakes are probably some of the best GM has ever put on a small car or any of there regular cars. I know GM is commited to making rotors and brakes last longer with the new durastop setup.
Definitely agree. Soooo much better pedal feel than the drum setups too.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does the diesel already have the Brake kit? Whats the redline edition?
No it doesnt and the Redline is a Blacked-out with red lines esthetics package.

·
Registered
86 Posts
What changes were made that this does not fit the first generation Cruze? Is it the switch to 14mm bolts from the 12mm. Like the Encore brake upgrade? I love the look of the new calipers!

·
17,486 Posts
What changes were made that this does not fit the first generation Cruze? Is it the switch to 14mm bolts from the 12mm. Like the Encore brake upgrade? I love the look of the new calipers!
Nearly everything underneath the car is different. Everything I'm looking at is a different part number between the two generations (caliper, pads, rotors)

·
Registered
211 Posts
I guess I am the only one who cares how they work more than the red color! ;-)

I can see that having a larger diameter front rotor set will provide better braking. But the calipers themselves - what is the difference over stock? Bigger pistons? 4 piston calipers versus 2 pistons? A little more technical detail would be nice...

And does this setup use the oem brake pads? if not, what is the part numbers for front and rear pads?

Does anyone have any personal experience with this setup yet? Some side by side photos would be helpful.

thanks,
jeff

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
I'm trying to figure out the need for a performance brake kit without a 1.6T or something under the hood. For the 3 people that would AutoX one I guess樂. In stock form, even with 18", its not really a car that enjoys being driven at 10/10ths

Take the engine from the Cascada and put it in a Cruze, then put a big brake and suspension upgrade kit on it and we'll talk.
Try slowing down from X25 to take an exit. Im not saying i've done it, but I can just "imagine" what its like. :th_dblthumb2:

And, I wish it came with rear rotors, just to make a matching set. I already have this on my radar. GMPartsDirect has it for like 850 bones.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I was also hoping for upgrade to a brembo style caliper for a floating rotor setup. But based on the HP, maybe I wouldn't need it.

For the front, performance brake pads complement 11.8-inch x 1.0-inch (300mm x 26mm) vented and slotted Duralife™ rotors that are larger than the factory 10.9-inch x 1.0-inch (276mm x 26mm) rotors. The Duralife™ rotors feature a hardened surface to help reduce corrosion and provide quieter braking with less vibration. The kit is a direct replacement for the original brakes and includes all necessary hardware and installation instructions. It is available for Cruze models equipped with 16 inch or larger factory and GM accessory wheels.

PART NO. 23261507

https://www.chevrolet.com/performance/cruze/brakes

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Try slowing down from X25 to take an exit. Im not saying i've done it, but I can just "imagine" what its like. :th_dblthumb2:

And, I wish it came with rear rotors, just to make a matching set. I already have this on my radar. GMPartsDirect has it for like 850 bones.
Look at the shipping cost. It is cheaper to go through the local dealership.

For example I just ordered my spoiler. $275 at the dealership. $215 + $69.40 shipping. Shipping on the brake kit to my location is 267.15 +867.31 = 1134.28 vs 1095 at the dealership.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Look at the shipping cost. It is cheaper to go through the local dealership.

For example I just ordered my spoiler. $275 at the dealership. $215 + $69.40 shipping. Shipping on the brake kit to my location is 267.15 +867.31 = 1134.28 vs 1095 at the dealership.
Try to add it to cart at GM performance motor. It’s a little more expensive then gmparts. But I went all the way to cart, and checkout, and it never added tax or shipping. Tax is going to make it not worth it, at the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Try to add it to cart at GM performance motor. It’s a little more expensive then gmparts. But I went all the way to cart, and checkout, and it never added tax or shipping. Tax is going to make it not worth it, at the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks for the info, I'll check it out.

The $100 coupon I had for the dealership made buying the spoiler from them a no brainer.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm trying to figure out the need for a performance brake kit without a 1.6T or something under the hood. For the 3 people that would AutoX one I guess樂. In stock form, even with 18", its not really a car that enjoys being driven at 10/10ths

They're probably used by people who brake check semi-trucks and other large vehicles towing things... they need that extra stopping power.... lol

·
Registered
158 Posts
So I've been digging' because i was curious where this parts come from.
The front brakes (except the fancy color and logo) sound awfully like the Trax/Encore per disc dimensions. It has the same bolt pattern and as far as i know it is the biggest/heavies interchangeable model available in the US.
The rear brake calipers are exactly the same, except the color (they basically admitting it). They don't even give you a matching slotted rotor.
Here the Cruze's brakes are actually slightly bigger than on the Trax/Encore (268 vs. 264 mm). Doesn't make sense to buy them or this package just because they're red.
So if you wanna do this upgrade yourself, you will need (from GMpartsdirect):

2x23118342Standard rotors (left/right)$54.54$109.80
1x13301226Caliper left$74.75
1x13301227Caliper right$76.26
2x13372779Caliper support (left/right)$22.56$45.12
2x95286840Splash shield (left/right)$19.60$39.20
1x22799077Brake pads (left/right)$58.32
Total403.45

You might need some additional hardware (retainer springs, bolts, etc.), but it sure is a lot cheaper with parts only. If you have to replace your brakes anyway this is a perfect chance for a cheap upgrade. Throw in 2 cans of VHT caliper paint (i can recommend them) for around 10 bucks each and voila.
I will definitely consider it when my brakes are down.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts