Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally, I worked up the courage to change the Front Brake Pads and Rotors on my wife’s 2014 Cruze.
Taking XtremeRevolution’s “How-To: Replace Front Brake Pads & Rotors” as a guide, I managed to complete the first wheel in 6 hours (The Learning Curve) and the second wheel in 2 hours.

The following divers ways of doing the job were gathered from all over the internet:

1. After removing the wheels, I cleaned them thoroughly, especially the inside.

2. I cracked the Bleeder Screw and tightened it up hand-tight again before I removed the caliper.

3. I removed only the lower 10mm caliper guide pin bolt at the rear of the caliper.
I then pivoted the caliper upwards and pushed it towards the center of the car thereby extracting the upper guide pin.
(So much is made of 10mm caliper guide pin bolts coming loose. This way - if I miscalculate - only one bolt will come to grief and the assembly won't fall off the car.)

4. Before compressing the piston in the brake caliper, I attached a Brake Bleeder Kit (DIY in my case).
I opened the Bleeder Screw tod get rid off some of the brake fluid that suffered a lot of heat and pressure over the last five years.

5. I managed to solve the mystery of whether to Loctite the caliper bracket bolts or not.
The caliper guide pin bolt is dry (No Loctite) and the larger caliper bracket bolts are covered with a thread locking paste similar to Loctite.
Result: Loctite on caliper bracket bolts only.

6.The caliper bracket bolts undid very smoothly with my breaker bar.

Now for the equipment:
First I didn’t have to buy the following:

Brake Fluid and Syringe:
With a full reservoir at the beginning of the job and all additional fluid bleed off, there is no need for sucking fluid out of the reservoir or a top-up.
The reservoir is still half full,now the job is finished.
18mm Spanner:
The 18mm socket was quite adequate to do the job.

Last but not least:

The DIY Bleeder features a handy strong magnet, obtained from a discarded Computer Hard-drive for latching onto any metal part in the wheel-well.

Hopefully some of you will find this post informative.

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts